“Fantastic food and service ”
Review of La Pinata Mexican Food - CLOSED

La Pinata Mexican Food
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I took my brother and cousin here and had an amazing time. This is the second time I've been, and like last time the food was excellent, portion sizes were immense and the service was fantastic. It seems to be a bit of a hackney secret as it tends to be quiet on weekdays, so we didn't have to wait long between meals. I will definitely be returning soon!

1  Thank Redorn

Reviewed 5 December 2013

..especially if you're a Mexican food snob like we are (from Brooklyn but a lot of time in/around DF, cooking in Puebla, and through rural Baja). It's easy to be put off by the decor of this place, which is chock-full of all the clichés that usually mark the tourist-trap joints in London. But have a mezcal or bar-chef style margarita w/chili-infused tequila and you can kind of get into it. The team of chefs & partners are from all over Mexico - DF, Jalisco, Colima, Yucatan, etc., and some combination of their world-class hospitality cv's and great personalities made this the nicest overall dining experience we've had recently - and we've been trying out all the foodie spots in east London lately.

As for the food, I had the cochinita pibil, (slow-cooked pork in orange) which came as it should with fresh corn tortillas for the most amazing tacos. And of course fresh lime wedges on everything. My husband had the pollo mole poblano, which was lovely and rich, though we prefer ours a bit more ashey with barely any sweetness (not at all most people's preference and obv no fault of the chef's). Also super authentic were the large portions, I guess they know how good the food is :) We both gladly finished our plate, and quite frankly are not even embarrassed that we'll be heading back over the next couple evenings to try the rest of the menu. Good luck to these guys and hope to see everybody there.

1  Thank RACHEL W
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I visited this lovely restaurant a couple of days ago and I can safely say that it was a true discovery for me! The food was out of this world! The best thing I tried was a succulent grilled seabass in garlic and chilli coating, which immediately brought back my fond memories of the Southern Mexican coast. Unlike some other places, this restaurant serves fairly light (low-fat) portions, which are nonetheless flavoursome and spicy. The staff (Mexican and Spannish) was wonderfully friendly and the overall atmosphere had that difficult-to-achieve balance between musically cheerful and semi-quiet, which allowed my friends at the table to both talk to each other and enjoy a bit of rather typical Mexican noise. In short, this was precisely what I needed on a bleak midwinter night!

1  Thank Marmottito
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Beauty full and tasty Mexican food I have ever taste stuff is very polite and nice I recommend very one :))

2  Thank Yilmaz78
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I don't usually give reviews, but I had to make an exception for La piñata. First of all, I REALLY LIKE THE SPACE - it's a smart and stylish intervention in an old industrial building. It's just behind London Fields - so you can come in for lunch or drinks if you're taking a stroll down the London canal and the Broadway market or you can get off at Hackney Central. So, why is it the best Mexican restaurant in London? THE FOOD IS EXCELLENT. I've had a delicious beef burrito, soft, spicy, full of meat - just heavenly. However, what I recommend most of all are the many varieties of margaritas and tequilas. THE DRINKS ARE SERIOUSLY GOOD. Try the hibiscus margarita!
THERE IS LIVE MUSIC, THE OWNER AND THE STAFF ARE VERY NICE.

I have had my birthday party in La Piñata and I sincerely recommend it to everyone who wants to organise some sort of event.

3  Thank ShaoBab