“Well suited for the discerning traveler.”

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
Ranked #8 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed 4 nights during June 2011 at this Taj property. My wife and our 15 year-old daughter accompanied me on this trip, which combined business with pleasure. We arrived by Eurostar (train) from Paris and departed from Heathrow. We had booked a 1-bedroom suite, but since the 2-bedroom was available, the manager upgraded us at the original price.

The “51” is located a 1-minute walk from the front gates of Buckingham Palace, a 10-minute walk from Westminster Abby and 15 minutes from Big Ben. Despite this central location, the street is quiet and the hotel serene.

Our 2 bedroom suite included a living room, plus a kitchen. The kitchen overlooked a school for boys, who spent their free time playing soccer (football) and cricket in the paved courtyard below our windows. Even though they were quite close, the rooms were essentially soundproof. The beds were good, the bathrooms comfortable, and, as I noted, the rooms quiet. Our kitchen had a clothes washer/drier combination, so we did several loads of laundry.

The “51” is clearly a high-end boutique hotel with superb rooms, complex hallways, high speed Internet, and impeccable service. The “51” staff exceeded the service we’ve experienced at every big city, high-end hotel we’ve stayed in over the last 3 years. Gentle, prompt, efficient, engaging, helpful, accessible, well-groomed, well trained, well received. For example, Alex is one of the concierges. Alex met with my wife several times to arrange for every ticket, every tour, every show. He followed up with me to confirm that my wife was happy with the outcomes. He and his colleagues arranged for cars at all hours of the day and night – even the cars and their drivers were impeccable and prompt.

Room service fed us one breakfast and two dinners during our stay. Top quality. The breakfast in the small common room was one of our favorite meals. The hotel arranged for a table at the Michelin-rated Indian restaurant next door one night. Again, top quality food, top notch service.

This is an international hotel that caters to wealthy Occidental and Oriental clients, so the American traveler will see fellow travelers from India, Germany, Brazil, Eastern Europe…but few other Americans. Most guests will be well-dressed and well-mannered.

In summary, the “51” is well suited to the discerning traveler who appreciates (and can afford) incredible service, requires a great location, and relishes an international environment.

2  Thank Omrwiz
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Dear Ormwiz,

Thank you very much for your amazing review and your very kind words about the hotel and our associates who truly aim to delight you with their own genuine personalities and warmth.

I loved your note about the variety of guests nationalities at 51 Buckingham Gate, this hotel is indeed like London itself a place where everyone feels welcome no matter where they come from, interestingly enought the majority of our guests originate from the USA but I guess different times of the year and world holidays do change trends from time to time.

I do hope that 51 Buckingham Gate will remain in your thoughts when you next visit London and we will be looking forwad to welcome you and your family back with us.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with the world

Araceli Rius-Perez

Write a ReviewReviews (1,599)

Reviewed 2 July 2011

Excellent location, near Westminster Abbey, incredible service, very large spacious room with huge bathroom and fully equiped kitchen including washer/dryer. Great food at Quilon restaurant.

1  Thank jawb

Dear Jawb,

I am so happy to read your review and to know that you found 51 Buckingham Gate to be a fantastic hotel, the fact that you enjoyed the size of the suites, the service from my colleagues and also the exceptional food from The Quilon restaurant is a great feeling for all of us and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back and to surprise you with an even better and more familiar experience.

With warm regards

Reviewed 28 June 2011

A friend and myself came for 4 nights, we were visiting Europe and we decided that this Taj property will host us (we know Taj very well from India).

The property is nicely located and we did one touristy day and found out many attractions are walking distance (London Eye, Westminster Cathedral, Buckingham Palace and more). The suite was a two-bedded room and we were more than happy with its vastness. The housekeeping is great even if they usually not picking up the phone so we had to pass through reception.

The team on the front is really warm and the butlers were available (maybe too much sometimes?). The front-desk is talkative and it was a pleasure to chat with them (Salvatore and Suzana). We used many times the evening concierge (not sure of the spelling, Lahzar?), young and helpful, regarding restaurants, bars and clubs. Obviously, he knew what he was talking about so do not hesitate to use and abuse them.

We have eaten in the Quillon restaurant and the food was great but there's a lack of decoration. Good value for money overall. The room service has been used once and it was ok (food and time wise).

A great experience, I definitely recommend this hidden gem in London...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jakeshjaffar

Dear Jawb,

How wonderful to know that you found both the hotel and my colleagues amazing and had a fantastic stay with us.

I am very happy knowing that you enjoyed the size of your two bedroom suite and the location of the hotel. We are indeed priviledged to be within walking distance of such wonderful sites in London and this works perfectly well if you are a first time traveller to London, what better reference than staying next to Buckingham Palace? and also as a regular visitor to London as you are right in the centre of town yet can enjoy the peace of a quieter location.

I am so sorry if you did not get to speak to the housekeepers on the phone at times, I trust they would have been busying around getting the the hotel looking beautiful and of course the team of butlers and guest relations are at your service to respond to all your housekeeping arrangements for you.

Lastly I am glad that you enjoyed the cuisine at The Quilon and I hope the next time you come to stay with us you will enjoy it even better as The Quilon will be closing its doors at the begining of next year for a few weeks to have a full makeover and I am sure you will be delighted with the results, we will be sure to announce the dates once we have concrete information on this project.

I hope to see you back at 51 Buckingham Gate soon again.

Reviewed 17 June 2011

Outstanding stay in every way. We had originally planned a stay at Four Seasons nearby but had heard good things about 51 Buckingham Gate and price was half for way more room. 2 bedroom Suite well equipped with washer/dryer, range, large fridge and every amenity. Great place to stay with kids as lots of private space. Staff is quick and really trying to please. Nelson our concierge was knowledgeable and even stayed on hold for 30 minutes plus with British Airways (another story as British Airways should be ashamed) to try to patch up a ticketing problem. Great dining in complex at Bank, Bistro 51 and most notably a very creative take on southern coastal Indian cuisine at Quilon. Can't wait to go back, and we will! Only problem we had was that my power strip was fried by their in-wall converter as it had some voltage fluctuations. We were having so much fun I forgot about it! signed, Dr. RDK

Room Tip: Alley rooms get some noise from schoolyard in AM.
1  Thank frequenteater

Dear Frequenteater,

So wonderful to know that we exceeded your expectations in every way during your stay, I am thrilled and I cannot thank you enough for your amazing review.

I am glad specially to know that you chose to stay at 51 among such other wonderful hotels in London and that apart from a small issue with your power convertor you had fun with your family and you felt cared for by Nelson and the butlers team. We love having families staying at 51 as we thrive seeing you having a holiday together and our aim is for you to have memorable moments for all of you to remember.

And thinking of family things to do, we started this year to offer horse and carriage rides around the same route that the Royal Wedding couple took, it is a wonderful thing to do and at a very affordable cost, of course with the variable weather in London we played it a bit safe by having only a few dates in July and August, I hope this will be a nice tip for other travellers coming to stay with us over the next few weeks and of course there will always be next summer.

Please do not wait to come back, do it soon and you will receive the warmest welcome back to 51 Buckingham Gate.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 15 June 2011

superb hospitality and great service with a smile....we have been coming to London for the past decade and staying at 51 is one of the highlights of our return to London every year!!

Taj service sets it miles apart from any other property in its league!

Every need is taken care of with only a smile!

1  Thank Romeo911

Dear Romeo911

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experience at 51 Buckingham Gate and to know that year after year you look forward to returning to your home in London.

Reading your review made me and the team smile an even bigger even smile so thank you for your loyalty and we all look forward to seeing you once again next summer.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed with my family for about 11 nights in a two bedroom suite,which,was large (by london standards) and extremely comfortable. The location of the hotel was perfect. The part which impressed us the most was the service ,which was par excellence.The staff were extremely polite ,courteous and always were eager to impress.The indian cuisine in this hotel is awesome.I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Dear Yathinreddy26,

Thank you very much for your very kind review and your fantastic description of your experience at 51 Buckingham Gate.

It is lovely to know that that the comfort and space of your suite and the service you received from the team made your stay a very enjoyable one for you and your family.

Of course as a Taj Hotel we aim to bring to London the best of the Indian cuisine and have some wonderful and extremely talented chefs that will prepare the most amazing Indian feasts, so with a fabulous Indian restaurant, a great and trendy International restaurant, the amazing summer barbeques in the Courtyard and the soon to be announced new restaurant coming in the Spring (watch out for a fantastic new addition) you may never want to adventure out of the gastronomic heaven of the hotel.

I hope to see you back again soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 8 June 2011

My husband, 21 month old daughter and myself stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment at 51 Buckingham Gate at the end of May / beginning of June. The booking process was made extremely easy, as my friend Carly Lipman who works at the hotel had first recommended the apartment, and then put us in touch with reservations who were extremely helpful. The apartment itself was well decorated, and perfectly laid out for my young daughter, who entertained herself running up and down the corridor and playing in the very large living room. The decor was also well thought out for families with young children as there were no small tables with sharp edges etc, and the kitchen was large enough and well equipped.

The service in general at the hotel was impeccable, there was nothing that was too much trouble. We had lovely drinks out in the beautiful courtyard as well as dinner at the delicious Indian restaurant Quillon, as well as at Bank.

A high point of our week was being there for VOWS, especially the fashion show. The event seemed extremely well organised, and as I used to work in fashion events myself it was lovely to be a guest at an event that was so well put together. It was wonderful to see a hotel create such an event, which was geared towards a specific group of people in order to showcases themselves. I really thought they did a wonderful job of showing the hotel and all it can offer in the best possible light.

And finally, what was very important to us, they organised a babysitter for the week, who was quite simply brilliant. I felt extremely comfortable leaving my daughter with her, and she did everything as we asked her to regarding bedtimes, feeding etc.

All in all we had a wonderful week, and as we travel to London often, we will definitely be returning to 51Buckingham Gate.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Cgripari

Dear Cgripari,

I am so glad that our colleague recommended you to stay at 51 Buckingham Gate and that you and your young family enjoyed your stay with us.

The majority of the suites at 51 Buckingham Gate are truly well thought for families and as you experienced yourself, the suites are large, the kitchens have all you need to get the little ones their favourity food prepared just as you make it at home (sometimes even the best of room service or restaurants will not do for the little ones) and at the same we can assure you of the best of childcare as we work with highly regarded proffessional babysitters so that you can enjoy some "you" time.

The vows event was a great one, and I am glad that you enjoyed it, to be able to showcase to brides-to-be the most beautiful designer gowns in a full catwalk and to let them know they can have their wedding reception in such beautiful setting such as the Courtyard is certainly special.

I am so happy to know that you have now discovered 51 Buckingham Gate and I do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in London.