“Good Hotel and better location.”

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
Ranked #4 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good Hotel and better location.”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Wonderful Hotel and even better location. Right next to Buckingham Palace, about a 8 minute walk to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and London Eye and very close to both St. James and Victoria subway stations, so getting around very easy.

Our room was on 1st Floor (would have preferred higher level room) and only problem was their was construction of a new building across street and also some light construction outside of our room where they were repairing the elevator.

We were in a suite that was nice but don't know if I would call it 5 star. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and in Paris right now and we are in a true 5 star Suite that 51 Buckingham doesn't compare to. I'd give it 4.5 though.

They do have a 6:30 - 8:30 happy hour where drinks are included--nice touch. Hotel staff and concierge were very nice and had no issues with service, except for a brief miscommunication at check-in with another person with same last name. Could happen to anyone.

Wifi is an extra $15 a day and not included. Just FYI.

Overall 4.5 stars and would recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank r1ch12
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
Dear R1ch12

Thank you ever so much for your review and for your recommendation to fellow reviewers to stay at 51 Buckingham Gate.

I am delighted to know that you found the hotel and its location to your satisfaction and that you find little thinks such as the cocktail evenings a pleasant surprise.

How unfortunate that we had another guest with the same name arriving on the same day and that this created confusion on your arrival, I can only apologise to you and hope that you think of that as an anecdote and not something that upset you and also that my colleagues assisted you to feel very comfortable after the initial missunderstanding.

I would like to mention to you that at 51 Buckingham Gate has several types of suites and I am sorry if this particular one didn't fully meet your expectations, please do let me know when you are coming next to London as I will be delighted to offer you several options to ensure you experience the best we have to offer.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcome you back with us.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 5 August 2011

This us by far the best hotel
Location10
Service 10
People work there give you the feeling that you are the only guest there...
See you soon there

• Stayed July 2011
Dear Zeevrubi1

Thank you very much for your review.

I am delighted to know that while staying at 51 Buckingham Gate my colleagues made you feel like if you were at home and offered you all the care of attention you deserved.

Being as we are a small and intimate hotel you can be sure that each of us will try our utmost to engage with you and to ensure you have the best of service.

I do hope that you will return soon again either with your friends or family and that 51 Buckingham Gate becomes your number one choice when travelling to London.

With warmest regards

Hotel Manager
New Delhi
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Excellent location, hospitality, staff, room comfort, breakfast......! Overall, I loved the stay!

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the front road OR the Garden behind!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank varuniaf
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Dear Varuniaf,

Thank you very much for your review and your kind words about your experience with us at 51 Buckingham Gate Taj Suites and Residences.

I am truly delighted to know that you had a fantastic stay and I do hope that you will build many unforgetable memories with us in the future.

With warmest regards and best wishes

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites & Residences is a great place to stay in London. We loved every bit of it because the services were impeccable services.

Suites & Rooms are very large & spacious.

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate was an exceptional stay, in the heart of London ! We were absolutely thrilled with our stay at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate with the unmistakable Taj services ! Minutes away from the Buckingham Palace, Hyde park Corner, and also close to the shopping areas of Knightsbridge & Oxford Street

Room Tip: become a Taj Innercircle member - Silver or Gold tier, chances improve a lot
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MagicCarp8
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Dear Ankitmittal,

Thank you ever so much for your fabulous review of 51 Buckingham Gate, I am delighted to know that you found in London a true Taj Hotel experience and special thanks for your tip on becoming at Taj Inner Circle, this is a superb way to receive points to redime around the world within our hotels and also adds a little extra to your stay as a thank you for your loyalty.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Tulsa,Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed 4 nights during June 2011 at this Taj property. My wife and our 15 year-old daughter accompanied me on this trip, which combined business with pleasure. We arrived by Eurostar (train) from Paris and departed from Heathrow. We had booked a 1-bedroom suite, but since the 2-bedroom was available, the manager upgraded us at the original price.

The “51” is located a 1-minute walk from the front gates of Buckingham Palace, a 10-minute walk from Westminster Abby and 15 minutes from Big Ben. Despite this central location, the street is quiet and the hotel serene.

Our 2 bedroom suite included a living room, plus a kitchen. The kitchen overlooked a school for boys, who spent their free time playing soccer (football) and cricket in the paved courtyard below our windows. Even though they were quite close, the rooms were essentially soundproof. The beds were good, the bathrooms comfortable, and, as I noted, the rooms quiet. Our kitchen had a clothes washer/drier combination, so we did several loads of laundry.

The “51” is clearly a high-end boutique hotel with superb rooms, complex hallways, high speed Internet, and impeccable service. The “51” staff exceeded the service we’ve experienced at every big city, high-end hotel we’ve stayed in over the last 3 years. Gentle, prompt, efficient, engaging, helpful, accessible, well-groomed, well trained, well received. For example, Alex is one of the concierges. Alex met with my wife several times to arrange for every ticket, every tour, every show. He followed up with me to confirm that my wife was happy with the outcomes. He and his colleagues arranged for cars at all hours of the day and night – even the cars and their drivers were impeccable and prompt.

Room service fed us one breakfast and two dinners during our stay. Top quality. The breakfast in the small common room was one of our favorite meals. The hotel arranged for a table at the Michelin-rated Indian restaurant next door one night. Again, top quality food, top notch service.

This is an international hotel that caters to wealthy Occidental and Oriental clients, so the American traveler will see fellow travelers from India, Germany, Brazil, Eastern Europe…but few other Americans. Most guests will be well-dressed and well-mannered.

In summary, the “51” is well suited to the discerning traveler who appreciates (and can afford) incredible service, requires a great location, and relishes an international environment.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Omrwiz
Dear Ormwiz,

Thank you very much for your amazing review and your very kind words about the hotel and our associates who truly aim to delight you with their own genuine personalities and warmth.

I loved your note about the variety of guests nationalities at 51 Buckingham Gate, this hotel is indeed like London itself a place where everyone feels welcome no matter where they come from, interestingly enought the majority of our guests originate from the USA but I guess different times of the year and world holidays do change trends from time to time.

I do hope that 51 Buckingham Gate will remain in your thoughts when you next visit London and we will be looking forwad to welcome you and your family back with us.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with the world

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Excellent location, near Westminster Abbey, incredible service, very large spacious room with huge bathroom and fully equiped kitchen including washer/dryer. Great food at Quilon restaurant.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jawb
Dear Jawb,

I am so happy to read your review and to know that you found 51 Buckingham Gate to be a fantastic hotel, the fact that you enjoyed the size of the suites, the service from my colleagues and also the exceptional food from The Quilon restaurant is a great feeling for all of us and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back and to surprise you with an even better and more familiar experience.

With warm regards

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 28 June 2011

A friend and myself came for 4 nights, we were visiting Europe and we decided that this Taj property will host us (we know Taj very well from India).

The property is nicely located and we did one touristy day and found out many attractions are walking distance (London Eye, Westminster Cathedral, Buckingham Palace and more). The suite was a two-bedded room and we were more than happy with its vastness. The housekeeping is great even if they usually not picking up the phone so we had to pass through reception.

The team on the front is really warm and the butlers were available (maybe too much sometimes?). The front-desk is talkative and it was a pleasure to chat with them (Salvatore and Suzana). We used many times the evening concierge (not sure of the spelling, Lahzar?), young and helpful, regarding restaurants, bars and clubs. Obviously, he knew what he was talking about so do not hesitate to use and abuse them.

We have eaten in the Quillon restaurant and the food was great but there's a lack of decoration. Good value for money overall. The room service has been used once and it was ok (food and time wise).

A great experience, I definitely recommend this hidden gem in London...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jakeshjaffar
Dear Jawb,

How wonderful to know that you found both the hotel and my colleagues amazing and had a fantastic stay with us.

I am very happy knowing that you enjoyed the size of your two bedroom suite and the location of the hotel. We are indeed priviledged to be within walking distance of such wonderful sites in London and this works perfectly well if you are a first time traveller to London, what better reference than staying next to Buckingham Palace? and also as a regular visitor to London as you are right in the centre of town yet can enjoy the peace of a quieter location.

I am so sorry if you did not get to speak to the housekeepers on the phone at times, I trust they would have been busying around getting the the hotel looking beautiful and of course the team of butlers and guest relations are at your service to respond to all your housekeeping arrangements for you.

Lastly I am glad that you enjoyed the cuisine at The Quilon and I hope the next time you come to stay with us you will enjoy it even better as The Quilon will be closing its doors at the begining of next year for a few weeks to have a full makeover and I am sure you will be delighted with the results, we will be sure to announce the dates once we have concrete information on this project.

I hope to see you back at 51 Buckingham Gate soon again.