“Outstanding”

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
Ranked #4 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I hesitate to write this as I partly want to keep this one quiet so that I can be sure to get a room next time I am in town. But fairs fair this hotel is simply too good to be selfish and not share. From the moment we arrived to the time we left my wife ,our 2 children and I were treated like VIPs . The service was personal and friendly, nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The food - breakfast and room service for dinner were really delicious .
We booked a 2 bed suite but were upgraded to a 3 bed. It was very spacious and comfortable we a fully equipped kitchen, 2 bathrooms, sitting room and comfortable beds.
The hotel is home to Quilon , fine Indian dining which I can also recommend and is located 3-4 mins away from the tube St. James park and about 15 minutes walk to Picadilly Circus.
Can't wait to find time to visit again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank raj4447
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Dear Raj4447,

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review and for not keeping 51 Buckingham Gate as a secret but instead sharing your experience with Tripadvisor, you cannot imagine how wonderful it is for us to know about the many things you so enjoyed at 51 Buckingham Gate.

I am specially happy to read about your dinning experiences as with three restaurants and a wondeful selection of In Room Dinning dishes it is sometimes difficult to choose but I can honestly say the Quilon never dissapoints and specially with its new look and new dishes it is a great experience.

This week Bistro 51 is also getting a refurbishment and a new menu will be launched shortly so I would strongly recomend you give the Bistro a try next time you stay with us.

I once again thank you very much for your time and for choosing to stay at 51 Buckingham Gate and I hope to see you soon.

Best wishes

There are newer reviews for Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences

Reviewed 4 May 2012

In doing a fair amount of traveling it is rare that you find a hotel or resort that far exceeds your expectations.....this is the case with this establishment. We arrived in London for 4 days with our daughter and her husband and booked a two bedroom suite. We're given a three bedroom suite with many extra amenities that are usually charged for. Any small inquiry was met with an afirmative reply and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Their responses were quick and accommodating. Eggs for breakfast were even delivered because we did not want to walk the ten minutes to the closest market.
Free DVD movies were delivered to your rooms with accompanying popcorn and sodas...
The two restaurants we tried "Quinlan and Bistro 51" were excellent.
We would recommend this hotel for any friends or family traveling to London. The location was also excellant. 2 blocks from Buckingham Palace or St. James Park tube station...

Room Tip: Room 1071 could easily sleep 6 to 8 people. We were for so used extra bedroom and sitting room for...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Pddarling,

Thank you very much for your lovely review, it is wonderful to know that you and your family had a delightful stay and enjoyed your family time.

Our Butlers and Porters are always at hand to help and will make sure your precious time in London is for you to enjoy so if you need groceries or any last minute forgotten items, we will take care of it for you and will be delivered to your suite with a big smile too.

I am also delighted to know that you enjoyed the food at both The Quilon and Bistro 51, we cannot wait for the weather to get better and to open the Courtayard barbeque and menu for the summer, hopefully the sun will soon shine again in London.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and I sincerely hope to see you soon again at 51 Buckingham Gate.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

These huge appartments are housed in a unique old building tucked off the main road. staff were all very friendly and helpful .rooms all very large , well appointed and very clean , also the beds and pillows were very comfortable. Comlplimentary drinks and canapes served in the evening were also a nice touch .An excellent choice for a visit to London

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Beachsiders,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review 51 Buckingham Gate and for sharing your experience with us and Tripadvisor readers.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team helpful and friendly.

The cocktail hour in the Libary is a very special time as it is the time to relax, reflect and share the experiences of the day in a cozy and relaxed atmosphere and I am so glad you enjoyed it.

I do hope your travels will bring you to London soon and we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Warm regards and best wishes

Reviewed 4 May 2012

It is without doubt an excellent hotel for families. The Two rooms suite is excellent with great facilities, comfortable, with good cleaning. The windows are not well caulked and feel some cold near the windows. However, the suite of climate is good. The shower had very little pressure which made the bath something unpleasant.
In general the staff is very helpful and with a sympathy that does not feel to be forced. I want to emphasize in a special way the care that was provided by Nelson, Alex and Iara.
The only moment less agreeable was in the first day when we prepared for breakfast, the library was with all tables occupied and they took us (with any advise) to another hotel in contiguous building, but we had to cross a courtyard in the rain and cold with two children not well dressed for that. This was very disappointing for us.
However, after realizing our disappointment, they apologized for what happened and did everything in his power to overcome our expectations. They succeeded.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Pedro Q,

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted to know that you found 51 Buckingham Gate an ideal hotel for your family and you recommend it as a great place for families to stay in London.

I am dissapointed to hear that there were a few things that you felt were not to your satisfaction and I must say they are currently in the process of being improved. A plan to secondary glaze some of the windows that due to the age of the building need to get tighten up in under way and in the case of the water preassure, this has been rectified by reinstating the water pump in your suite, I am pleased to know that these little things did not stop you having an enjoyable stay.

I am also sorry to know that you were inconvenienced at breakfast time, indeed The Library can at peak times get very busy, specially at the weekends when larger families are in the hotel and hence we offer many alternatives such as a full breakfast via In Room Dinning in your suite (breakfast is fully set in your dining table as you will have it at home) or breakfast at Bistro 51 our restaurant across the Courtyard as well as in the Hamptons Bar which also has a continental buffet and English breakfast a la carte, those last two options are in our restaurants and bars and they are your restaurants for your enjoyment. I understand that in a cold rainny day as of late it can be a tad inconvenient to walk a few seconds across the Courtyard and I am sorry that your children were not ready to go out.

I would like to thank you for naming the members of the team that impressed you the most, they are a great asset to us and they will be thanked for a job well done.

Many thanks once again for your lovely review and I very much look forward to welcome you back to 51 Buckingham Gate.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

My mum and I stayed here for the 2nd time last week, and couldn't fault our stay at all - the service is immaculate, the rooms amazing and the location perfect. Nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff and we were made to feel very special from the moment we arrived. We had booked a junior suite with twin beds, and instead were shown on our arrival to a HUGE two bedroom, two bathroom suite with an enormous lounge/dining area and fully equipped kitchen. We were so impressed with everything at this lovely hotel, we will always choose to stay here in the future if we can! Far better than any other London hotel we have stayed at (and we visit town quite frequently so have tried lots!). HIGHLY recommended!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Kery D,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and also for coming back for a second time to stay at 51 Buckingham Gate.

It is wonderful to hear that you had a wonderful time with your mum and appreciated the upgrade to a larger two bedroom suite, these suites are fantastic as you have the privacy of your own bedroom and bathroom and yet you can be together and relax in the large living room.

I would also like to thank you for your wonderful comments for the team and we all look forward to welcome you back very soon again.

Warm regards and best wishes

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Wow - I was expecting a lot from this place. I thought the Taj brand was all about 5-star luxury. What I got was akin to a Citadines stay-cation apartment. The unit was large, that much is true. But it was like being in someone else's dated 80's apartment. Musty smell, terrible TV offerings, which barely worked with poor remote controls (and every time I changed anything on the TV set, the iPod dock next to it beeped - why?). Molton Brown toiletries were nice, but the bathroom was again very dated and the bath even had the worst silicone sealant job around it I have ever seen - like a child had done it. Fixtures in the bathroom are discoloured. Shower over the bath - not exactly luxury. I imagine perhaps other reviewers had rooms in other blocks or something, as mine was just like a 1980s Marriott. Won't be staying again, or indeed recommending to anyone. Far better in the same area for same money.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
12  Thank InmateSussex

Dear InmateSussex,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review 51 Buckingham Gate.

I am indeed also very dissapointed to read about your experience and to know that we did not fulfill your expectations, here in London as in every Taj hotel we are commited to offer the best of service with great products in all of our destinations.

51 Buckingham Gate consists of three townhouses, each with a different style and types of suites, they range for the more traditional Falconers suites to the contemporary Kings and finally to the most luxurious ones in the Minsters Townhouse where the amazingly dessigned Jaguar Suite is located. I can assure you that our aim is to ensure that every one of our guests has a fantastic experience and at reservations time we try to ensure we discuss guests preferences to find the best fit for your style and expectations. I am truly sorry that in your case this did not happen, what I can assure you is that had we know how you felt while you were in the hotel we would have ensured that you saw other suites and offer you alternatives according to your preferences and price expectations.

I would very much like to welcome you back at 51 Buckingham Gate and should you feel you could give us a second opportunity I would like for you to try another type of suite to restore your faith in the Taj.

Thank you once again for your time.

Best wishes

Reviewed 3 May 2012

We booked through Laterooms and secured a junior suite at 51. The rate we were charged represened exceptional value. We were welcomed by very efficient staff. Our junior suite had everything that we could want, including a fully equipped kitchen. Our only criticism was that the lighting in the room and the bathroom was not good for her to make up by - a common complaint in hotel rooms. At full rack rate, we would not have been tempted to stay, but at the rate charged could not describe our stay as anything other than remarkable. We did not sample the restaurants or the spa, etc as time did not permit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Gayle56

Dear Gayle56,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very happy to know that you very much enjoyed your Junior Suite and its amenities and thank you for your feedback on the lighting. We are in the proceess of preparing our next set of projects for the year and after the summer season we will be working on several improvements including lighting in many of the suites.

I do hope that you will find at some other time a good offer at 51 Buckingham Gate to tempt you return for a longer stay so that you can also experience the Spa and restaurants.

Thank you once again for your feedback