“A truly exceptional place to stay.”

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
Ranked #5 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“A truly exceptional place to stay.”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at 51 Buckingham Gate for our wedding anniversary. We came across the hotel on the web and after reading a few superb reviews decided to book, we weren't disappointed. This hotel really is a hidden gem, tucked away just down from Buckingham Palace, you are immediately transported into a little world away from it all and complete luxury. The staff really cannot do enough for you and from the moment we arrived and were handed hot towels while we checked in, we were smitten. We stayed in one of the suites which I have to say was absolutely beautiful. Guided to our room by the most informative, helpful and knowledgeable porter that we have ever met, we relaxed, immediately at home and found our way around the vast and extremely comfortable suite.
This hotel is really well located with Buckingham Palace, Horseguards, the London Eye and the river all in easy walking distance.
For dinner in the evening we chose to eat in the hotel's own Michelin starred restaurant, Quilon. A truly lovely meal, we weren't disappointed, this a very good restaurant and we would strongly recommend that you give it a try.
This is an exceptional hotel, we have stayed in some really lovely hotels in and around London and would be the first to admit that our expectations are high but this hotel completely exceeded them and more. An absolute gem.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LYD12_12
, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear LYD12_12

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review, I am delighted to know that you truly enjoyed your stay at 51 Buckingham Gate and that everything was to your liking.

I am particulary happy to know that you found all the staff at the hotel helpful and I really hope you make of 51 Buckingham Gate your most favourite hotel for the future.

We all look forward to welcome you both back very soon or even better to take a small part on the celebration of your next wedding anniversary.

With fond regards and best wishes

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
FL
Reviewed 8 July 2012

It is not just the location or the wonderful accommodations, but the superb service that make this hotel the best choice in London. My husband I spend 4 night at the 51 and where blown away by their amazing staff. They just didn't find for us the best tickets on a sold out function but compliment us with champagne after I casually mention to one of the staff members that it was my husbands birthday. I never felt more pampered and special that at the 51. Top of the line in London.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karina M
Dear kmpensacola,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for sharing your experience with other Tripadvisor members.

I am delighted to know that the four days you spent with us to celebrate your husband's birthday became a very special time for both of you and you felt pampered and looked after.

I look forward to welcome you back when you return to London.

Warm regards and best wishes

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I have to admit we are a tough crowd to please - and we travel to London several times a year and have stayed at great place. 51 Buckingham, however, really blew us away with accommodations, exceptional service, great food and location. In fact, I just stopped in to our travel agent and was raving about 51 Buckingham telling her she should book all her London visits into this hotel. She told me another family that had just gone to London who stayed there came back and said the exact same thing.

Accommodations. We had a gorgeous suite complete with a kitchen, washer dryer, living room which was quiet (one of our biggest pet peeves) and HUGE! Perfect for my wife and toddler to spread out. Instead of being crammed in one small room, the space was such a treat! We have stayed at other 5 star hotels in London and this one was the most spacious by far (and a tremendous value I might add at that). Traveling with a toddler and tons of luggage, we appreciated the ample space.

Service. Sergio, Iama, Zuzana and Alex were just go above and beyond in terms of service, attention, thoughtfulness and detail it really set a new bar. We travel extensively, and this was by far the top of five star hotels in terms of service. They were so thoughtful and sweet to our 3 year child and make him feel so special - he asked this morning to go back to this hotel. I regret we did not have time to fill out the exceptional service card at the hotel so these people can get the recognition they deserve. The concierge was wonderful - fast, responsive. We had a babysitter lined up one night and she was wonderful!

Food. We had a breakfast on our last day in the library and regretted we did not eat there each day. Wow! Our lunch in the library was exceptional, and my wife and I are serious foodies. Each evening in the library they serve cocktails and an array of small bites, really was a highlight coming back after a day of seeing the sights! Right around the corner is an Indian restaurant - Quinon - which has a Michelin Star. It was so incredible we ate there two nights in a row. In fact, on our last night we were so exhausted from our sightseeing we had dinner in the library and Quinon sent food over (you can also get it in your hotel room on room service we learned).

Location - you are just a couple blocks to Buckingham Palace, walking distance to great shopping, parks, restaurants. Was really perfect!

I really don't know why I haven't heard of this hotel before - I now know where we are staying each trip to London.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Steve H
Dear SteveH,

Thank you very, very much for your amazing review.

I am deeply touched for your very kind words and mentions of the members of the team who helped you and your family to feel like at home.

As you mentioned having the space and convenience of multiple bedrooms in your suite, a full working kitchen (for you to use if you wish) and large living space makes 51 Buckingham Gate a great choice for families and as you experienced by yourself there is every flexibility to suit your day with dinning options in suite or in the restaurants and even in the cozy Library to make it easier with your young ones.

Sometimes it is difficult for us to guess the identity of our reviewers but when sharing your review with the team they soon worked out who the 3 year old boy was and for the first time ever I have been asked by my colleagues to send a BIG HUG to your little boy who is absolutely delightful.

Many thanks once again for sharing your experience and we sincerely hope to see you soon again at 51.

Best wishes

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 4 July 2012

simply wow. i mean it is the best you can ask for. fantastic service, courteous staff, perfect location with tube st. (st. james) within walkin 5min and buckingham palace just steps away.
we were family of 6 with 3 children and we had best time of our lives.

Room Tip: for bigger families go for minister suites
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank choconam
Dear Choconam,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am really happy to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay at 51 Buckingham Gate and had a fantastic time in London.

Indeed the location of the hotel next to Buckingham Palace makes it the perfect place to explore London and its amazing sites.

I do hope your travels bring you and your family to London again and if so we look forward to welcome you all back.

Warmest regards and best wishes

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Returned to London on business last year only to have been booked in a completely different hotel to 51 Buckingham Gate much to my displeasure. However, I did manage to embrace the fine hotel one night during the so called Summer Opera Season at 51BG. On arrival I began to see that there was in fact no opera on that night and that it was dated on certain occassions throughout the months, yet I did notice another musician taking to 51's huge courtyard. He certainly wasn't opera (then again I hate the stuff!!!) but various jazz tunes from the 60s from singers like ole blue eyes, dino, nat cole and more. WOW... I managed to speak to jake during his break and he told me he was 15, that's right he looked and sounded much older but he was twice as young as my son who looked like he could barely grow a chin whisker compared to stance of this buddy jake. I did manage to go into the library while I was visiting for the evening, didn't find any books but didn't want to read anyway just a typical American being picky according to the English :) To sum it up, it was a great night with great music and a great atmosphere - its nice to see big hotel bosses actually living up to its 'let the little guy have a chance' nature.

Should be back near the Buckingham Palace this summer and maybe i'll take a chance wandering in the courtyard and see jake maybe singing opera (stick with the swing fella). A nice evening to remember in London, and a real credit to a concrete jungle!!

All the way from Santa Fe ;)

James

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank James M
Dear James M,

Thank you very much for your review of the Courtyard at 51 Buckingham Gate and I am sorry you did not manage to stay with us last summer.

I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your evening in the Courtyard. Every summer we attempt to convert this beautiful open air Courtyard into a food and music experience whether it is by a few selected Opera and dinner nights, I can assure you that they are evenings of selected arias sang by wonderful singers who fill the Courtyard with the most amazing sounds to everyone's delight, or as you experienced last year with our young performer who is just lovely and simply hearing the richness of his voice and his maturity in such young person is admirable.

Unfortunately this summer we have not been very successful as the London weather has not been kind and we are yet to have one of our events, whilst the Courtyard is open as soon as the rains stops for our famous barbeque menus, we keep wishing for the summer to make an appearance and to have a few dry and warm days to be able to schedule live performances again.

I do hope you will stay with us next time you are in London.

Warm regards and best wishes

Reviewed 29 June 2012

We just returned after a wonderful trip to London! We spent 5 nights in your fabulous hotel. It was truly a home away from home. The amenities are incredible, and your staff is delightful. We hope to be back soon, but have already recommended it to family and friends. Thank you for making our first trip to London so unforgettable.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Connie D
Dear Connie D,

Thank you so very much for your lovely review.

I am delighted to know that your stay at 51 Buckingham Gate was a pleasant one and that we made you feel like at home during your five nights stay.

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for recomending us to your friends and family, I truly hope to be able to welcome them at 51 soon.

With kind regards and best wishes

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I've been remiss in writing this as I've been a bit busy, but stayed at the 51 for a week on a business trip in March/April. I never tire of staying at the 51 because the service is so flawless and incredible. The welcome is genuine and warm and the standards are always of the highest.
Manageress Araceli Rius-Perez continues to lead with passion, innovation and integrity. Each guest gets the very best care and hospitality. As always, the staff are quite simply the best at what they do. I still believe they should be teaching others about hospitality. Perhaps the 51 School of Hospitality?
This trip was more business than pleasure, but the pleasure was knowing I could relax at the 51 every day I got back from work. I did have a business dinner in my suite one night and the food from Quilon was divine. My colleague, who resides in London, could not believe have wonderful the food was. The chef kindly accommodated food allergy issues for my colleague. Another day I met colleagues in the beautiful courtyard for drinks. The setting is lovely and hard to believe that you are in the centre of London. Our meeting went longer than we planned and so we progressed into the Library for drinks and canapes. Delicious!
As always the staff, from housekeeping, bellmen, butlers to concierges are friendly, but never intrusive. They make you feel welcome and that nothing is too much trouble. Vasi, Sergio and Iara are great butlers, dealing with whatever calamity you might have with complete calm and "can do" attitude. And then there's Nelson and Alex, concierge staff that handle all requests, no matter how wacky, with complete aplomb. I think Nelson might have magical powers, because I've never yet stumped him with any request I've had, even when I asked for a tape measure!
Stay at the 51, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: I love that all the rooms are a little bit different. It makes it more fun when you arrive to see ho...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ksullivanvance
Dear Ksullivanvance,

Thank you once again for taking the time from your busy schedule to write yet another wonderful review of 51 Buckingham Gate.

The greatest compliment to a hotel is to welcome year after year a guest like you and to know that the anticipation of your arrival is mutually shared as the team always looks forward to your next stay.

Your kind words for the members of the team are greatly appreciated by all and we truly appreciate to have such wonderful ambassador of the hotel.

I very much look forward to continue delighting you and to take care of your every need on your return.

With warmest regards and best wishes