“Perfect......wow service and style...”

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
Ranked #5 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect......wow service and style...”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I only stayed for one night on business...,yes it's not cheap...but by London standards its fine.....service frm the moment you walked to the door... Beautiful well equipped suite....just a shame I was only there one night, only used a small part of the services....small intimate library for drinks, snacks and they ordered food frm next door for us..... Stylish decor.....true 5 star service.....defiantly recommend it.....:-)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I had high hopes for this 5* hotel. I expected more in terms of the customer service. They did not do a good job of managing my expectatioins or listening to our needs.

Upon check in our room was upgraded which was great but it wasn't ready. 30 min they said. They said we could sit in the library to wait/enjoy some tea. No one came to greet/serve us even after ringing the assistance bell twice. I had to go ask for service. 40 min later I asked about the room. Another 15 minutes they said. I wasn't happy as we were only staying in London 24 hours and we wanted to see some sights.

I asked if there was a place we could freshen up and change. They put us in the spa changing room.

When we returned later in the day to get the key to the room the person assisting wasn't aware of our earlier inconvenience. He showed us the room and explained everything but never asked us how long we were staying or what was important to us.

He asked about our evening plans as offered the concierge assistance. I informed him we already had evening plans and dinner reservations. He then suggested we cancel and eat at the restaurant on the property which I found unprofessional. I understand he's probably required to explain the services but suggesting we cancel our dinner plans? Very weird.

The property is nice.
Rooms extremely spacious.
Spa facilities dated.
Centrally located
<5 min walk from St James Park underground.
<10 min walk to Westminster Abbey/Big Ben.

For the price and hotel stars, I expected much better customer service.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Welltraveledgirl1
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed in 51 Buckingham Gate Taj Suites during our visit to London with My family from 9th July to 14 July 2012.
The Suites really feels like a Royal suite with all Extra Ordinary Amenities, The class of service makes feel like a VVIP. They are taking care of all our small needs and also the kids were so happy that they didn't want to go out for outing in London.
Cleanliness, The nearby All attractions, The restaurants, Excellent food, Best Breakfast and at last the Complete security.
Its worth the Value of Our Money.

Room Tip: All Suites are the Best
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JaniMayank
Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel for ten days in October-November, 2012. We had a "Kings Junior Suite," which we chose because we wanted a roomy and homey place for our long stay.

The kitchen was superbly outfitted, with many new appliances, including a kettle, toaster, coffee maker, fridge, stove, and dishwasher. There was also a machine that purported to both wash and dry one's clothes. I tried it twice, but the clothes emerged damp and had to be hung to dry.

The bathroom was enormous, and included two sinks, a very deep and long tub, a separate shower, a toilet, and two large heated towel racks.

We received many extras: Because we were staying for ten days, we were given a complimentary food hamper, including two small jugs of milk, butter, a half-dozen eggs, tea, coffee, cereal, several kinds of biscuits, two kinds of chocolate, olive oil, and a big plate of fruit. We used most of these supplies; supplemented with bread and jam purchased near Victoria Station, we were able to enjoy modest but satisfying breakfasts in our suite most mornings. We then simply piled the dishes on the counter; the staff either washed them or loaded the dishwasher and ran it.

The service at the Taj is impeccable: cheerful, helpful, and unassuming. Any problems we had received an immediate response. The response did not always FIX the problem, however. For example, the power did not work at the outlets by the desk, one of which was adapted for North American appliances. Instead of fixing the power, we were given an adaptor so I could plug my computer in at a more distant outlet. Another problem we had was with the heating in the suite; in the beginning it was hard to get the place warmed up. We returned later in the day to find the thermostat had been turned up to 29 C to heat the place! This didn't work very well; we ended up constantly having to guess as to where to set the thermostat to obtain adequate but not excessive heat.

The Taj is located in a collection of very old and beautiful restored buildings called St. James Court. Our suite was on the top floor. It was very quiet, and even had a partial view of Buckingham Palace!

The Taj is affiliated with the next-door Crowne Plaza Hotel, and thus benefits from receiving access to their bar (where we enjoyed a couple of tasty meals), their Bistro, and their two restaurants (one of which has a Michelin star, although we did not eat there).

One other thing I will mention is that while some parts of the Taj were dazzlingly up-to-date, others seemed worn and overdue for replacement. For example, the carpeting in our suite was very threadbare and old; some of the cushions were stained; and much of the furniture had rings from drinks on the surfaces. It was surprising to find these details overlooked, when so much is impeccably cared for.

At first I thought that these details indicated a place that was past its prime, or where the owners and staff did not care enough to make everything beautiful. However, after a few days I became a believer. I would have been delighted to stay there for another ten days, and if (when) I return to London, I hope to stay at the Taj again.

Room Tip: We loved being on the top floor, because then no one is walking around above us. However, be aware...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Introvertica
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Our family of 5 just returned from London after a stay at Buckingham Gate. We got upgraded to the newly renovated 2 bedroom suit. Very high standard including pillow menu, high end amenities and smart tvs in every corner.

Check-in and out happened effortlessly. Nothing was too much trouble for the super friendly staff in reception, concierge and the Library where a wonderful breakfast is served. We travelled with kids 10,8 and 5 and they were treated with dvds popcorn. Location is great and the place is completely quit as it faces an inner courtyard.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Florentine11
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We arrived at the Hotel at 7:00 pm and were greeted warmly and ushered into The Library to enjoy a complimentary drink and canapés, whilst our check-in was completed and our luggage delivered to our suite. There was a welcoming Hamper in the suite and sufficient goods in the fridge to meet our needs over the next few days. Unfortunately I became ill during the night, when my husband asked at reception, where he could take me to see the nearest Doctor, he was told the Hotel would arrange for their Doctor to visit me. Doctor Ash, who was excellent, Phoned me and arranged to call on me. After the consultation he took my prescription to reception, a staff member had the script filled at a Pharmacy and delivered it to me. We could not have been more pleased with their prompt and caring service. I don't think, during my many years of travelling we have meet a more excellent staff. The suite meet our expectations and we would definitely stay there again. Oh, I forgot to mention Location, there is an exciting new development 5 minutes walk from the Hotel, full of interesting shops, including the old faithfuls Marks & Spencers and Boots Pharmacy, plus, plus, plus.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite in Ministers, overlooking the beautiful courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mzday
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Choosing somewhere to stay in London as a first time traveller is a bit overwhelming, the reviews of this hotel apartment on trip advisor were impressive. We booked an apartment and it certainly lived up to expectations. Excellent location, walk to Buckingham palace, hop on hop off bus just metres away. Apartment, large,clean, modern, everything one needs for a home away from home. Having laundry facilities was a bonus. Flexibility to prepare food with a modern,well laid at kitchen was great, particularly breakfast. Room service excellent, good variety. Courtyard and restaurant just lovely especially on a sunny afternoon. Worth the extra, great value for where we were and what we got. Would highly recommend to anyone who wants a bit more space when travelling. Stayed for a week and didn't want to leave.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy9494
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Dear Cathy9494,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for sharing your experience with other Tripadvisor users.

I am delighted to know that past reviews posted by guests of 51 Buckingham Gate made you choose to stay with us among many wonderful hotels in London, but most important of all is to know that you also enjoyed your stay.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed the facilities of both your suite and the hotel as a whole and that it help you to have a wonderful first experience of London.

I sincerely hope this will be the first of many more trips to this wonderful city and all of us at 51 Buckingham Gate look forward to welcome you back.

With warm regards and best wishes

Araceli Rius-Perez