Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
Ranked #7 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I've lost count of the number of times I've stayed at the 51 over the last five years, but my experience is always the same...wonderful! My latest visit in September was no different. The staff are the best. Special kudos to the concierge team of Nelson, Alex and Jon, who deftly handle every request I make. They are efficient, knowledgeable and excellent at their jobs. Also, kudos to the butlers, Sergio, Vasi and Thomas. They genuinely make everyone feel welcome and well looked after. On this last trip I asked about renting a wheelchair for my mother, who was overcoming an illness. The 51 said no problem, they would handle it. When we arrived the wheelchair was there ready for her use. The hotel had gone out and bought one especially for her use during her stay! How fabulous is that? And like everything they do, the quality of the wheelchair was top of the line. My mother had several trips to St James Park and by the end of the trip was actually walking more. That's just an example of the detail and care the 51 staff take.
During the trip the weather was lovely in London and we sat outside and had the most wonderful lunch in the courtyard, which looked lovely with the flowers and foliage. Hard to believe that you are in the centre of London as it is such a quiet location.
The beautiful rooms, welcoming staff,delicious food, and great location all serve to make the 51 the ideal "home from home" and I can't wait to go home again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ksullivanvance

Reviewed 23 October 2013

After returning from Europe, we decided to stay on in London for a long weekend, and returned to 51 Buckingham for our 3rd visit. Again, the hotel very generously upgraded us to a newly refurbished Minster suite - what a grand apartment that is! There is a huge lounge room, huge master bedroom with attached bathroom and a large kitchen. The room would be larger than most 1-bed flats in London, and superbly appointed.

As ever, the staff fall over themselves to help you and are very friendly. In fact, its not like an hotel at all, more like staying with a grand extended family in a London mansion. Breakfast is served in the library, which is very intimate, but offers an excellent range of choices for a healthy & hearty start to the morning. In the evening, drinks & canapes are offered in the same location.

My only negative comment to the management would be that the bathroom of their newly suite designed suite has thrown modesty out of the window! The very large bathroom - entered through double sliding doors - has an enclosed toilet, but with a clear glass screen fully visible from the bedroom and hall! My age might suggest that I come from a more prudish era! This strange penchant for voyeurism is easily fixable by replacing the current glass with a more solid opaque glass door.

We'l be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 23,425
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Ideally Located...Very close to Buckingham Palace. Good for leisure as well as for business travelers. The Metro Station is also very close.Stayed there few years back. The rooms are also good.The only one thing which was disappointing was that the major rooms are inward looking...No outside views.The restaurants are good. and also very good hospitality...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rpv28
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Had a great three night stay as a treat for my son's birthday.
We were upgraded on arrival, I've no idea why, to a kind of mini-suite which was actually bigger than our house. In fact the kitchen was almost as big as the ground floor of our house!
I was very pleased about that of course, especially as merely a standard room costs an arm and a leg.
The staff were a delight, although their eagerness to please slightly outweighed their knowledge and efficiency - they swore a room service menu was in the room despite my telling them there wasn't one. They checked and found there wasn't one. After we'd checked out, they realised they'd forgotten to book us our pre-requested taxi and we ended up being so late we had to run down the platform to the train.
A very nice perk was they would bring drinks and popcorn to your room together with your chosen dvd, all free - or rather included in the hefty price.
The room was so spectacular that we chose to have breakfast in it and each morning they would come and set the table and lay out the huge breakfast, bit like having a butler in fact.
We loved the area as it was far enough away from the madness of town, but easy to walk three minutes to St James's tube. You could see Buckingham Palace from just outside the hotel.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay again, especially if there are any special offers on!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank madlycurious
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Best Library-breakfast, never ever!
Concier-service; best ever! Alex managed impossible-wishes from client.
Butler-service; best ever!
Fitnessroom fine, pretty new!
Spa-department fine!
room was nice, just fitted carbet is not my favorit!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The accommodation is of high quality classy roomy and well appointed,the service is pro active and responsive,we stayed at falconer s two bedroom suite and we were very satisfied with the facilities we will certainly stay there on our future visits.,
The breakfast service was excellent and a cosy little breakfast area adjacent to the suites completed the classy and sophisticated ambience

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank aftabpatel
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights to celebrate my birthday. We stayed in the Falconer's 2 bedroom. It was more than enough space and was very comfortable. The staff were wonderful and took great care of us. We loved the amenities as well. My kids loved being able to borrow a movie from their extensive DVD library. The movies came with tubs of popcorn and drinks, and was a great way to relax after a day of sightseeing.

My husband and I especially enjoyed having room service from Quilon. The food was exceptional and I wish we had time to try some of the other things on their menu.

Breakfast in the room each morning was wonderful! We also loved having drinks and canapés each evening in the "library". I also loved the birthday treat that the staff left me in our room.

The location was fantastic as well. We could walk to many different sights and was close to underground stations. My kids loved walking along the nearby Birdcage Walk to see all the birds in the park.

I definitely recommend this hotel, especially if traveling with kids!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family