Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences
Ranked #4 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Perfedt stay! Everyone was kind and friendly. Our breakfast was awesome. Best Hotel in London!
We had a big room which was absolutely comfortable. It's close to Victoria Station and Buckingham Palace. Two Restaurants belong to the Hotel (and to Crowne Placa St. James Court). Especially the "Quilon" is a Michelin-Star-Restaurant (Lunch for only 23 Pounds).

We will never ever forget this amazing holiday!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
LR51BG, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2010

Dear Kleinesherz86

Thank you very much for your wonderful reveiw on our hotel after your stay with us earlier this month.

I was delighted to read that the service and the facilities contributed to your overall expereince while staying with us and that you had a very enjoyable stay. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I do hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to 51 Buckingham Gate , Taj Suites & Residences on your next visit to London.

On behalf of myself and the team here we wish you a very happy Christmas.

There are newer reviews for Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences

Reviewed 9 November 2010

This was my second time staying at 51 Buckingham Gate, and it was just as perfect as the first time had been. The service is impeccable, hotel and rooms are beautiful, spa is nice, restaurants are delicious, and the courtyard and outside of the hotel are also very attractive.

The rooms are enormous - large bathroom with bath and shower, lovely big bed, high quality kitchen with anything you might need (not that one needs to cook while in London, but wish we'd been able to stay long enough to make use of it). We went to the Indian restaurant and, though I don't normally enjoy Indian food, I had to admit that the food was absolutely delicious. The massage I had at the spa was nice, though nothing fantastic. The bar in the Crowne Plaza (somehow connected to 51 Buckingham Gate and just across the courtyard) was also nice. The Library inside 51 Buckingham Gate had a great selection of hors d'oeuvres and drinks, and proved to be a very easy place to chat with fellow guests, all of whom were very intelligent, elegant, and friendly - the kind of guest you'd like to think you are :)

Though the prices are steep, it's certainly worth it for what might be the largest rooms in London (that are also in a beautiful 5-star hotel), perfect service, and the convenient neighborhood. Hoping to have another opportunity to stay there again soon!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
LR51BG, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2010

Dear NewYorkdaniela

I was delightd to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for writing such a wonderful complimentary reveiw of your expereince with us here at 51 Buckingham Gate, Taj Suites & Residences.

I am so pleased that the hotel and the servcies offered enhanced your overall enjoyment of your stay and I am sorry that the treatment in the Spa did not meet with your expectations.
I note it was your second stay with us but I hope from here on in this will be your permanent home whenever you visit London in the future.

Thank you again and please do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 2 November 2010

I am an expat Brit living in the US with an American husband. I hadn't been "home" (the UK/London) for 10 years and was expecting the worst. I was on business and my husband was travelling along. We were beyond thrilled with 51. When we arrived they upgraded us to a penthouse suite. (That in large part is due to our travel agent who is part of the Virtuoso group)...However the following morning starting at 8 am until 6 at night the jackhammering and demolition of the building across the street made the stay rather unpleasant, especially with a husband who came down with a bad back. (That was not their fault.) However, Nelson the concierge went above and beyond any Chief Concierge I have ever known in London. I grew up at the Dorchester in its hey-day. I was Eloise at the Dorch....I had many intrepidations about staying anywhere else...but the 51 was terrific. The rooms were well appointed. Breakfast, although not always consistent, was excellent. But Nelson made our trip more than worthwhile. He recommended a chiropractor in Sloane Square, rescheduled our trip to Buck House (normally non-refundable and non-changeable), and also took our car back to Hertz...he went above and beyond any Concierge I have ever met at hotels anywhere. If we had any complaints it is that the housekeeping staff should stay off the guests lifts /elevators. They would hold us up more than the clients. Really should retrain them to walk up the stairs! Their cleaning is not great and not well understood (many are Eastern European and don't understand English.) Otherwise we look forward to coming back. Nelson you are the best and saved my trip as well as my husband's. This was a terrific hotel and I highly recommend it.....

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Suze215
LR51BG, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2010

Dear Suze215

Thank you very much for your extremely complimentary review of your recent visit with us here at 51, Taj Suties & Residences. The most we can ever hope for is to receive a very constructive review of our hotel and our guests highligting aeas where we need to be aware of and improve.

First of all a big thank you from Nelson who being very modest said "I was just doing my job". But he along with the rest of the Concierge Team are a real assett to our hotel. My apologies about the construction noise. I know what a nuisance this can be and we have tried to restrict the timings as much as possible but unfortunately it is beyond our control. You will be pleased to know the demolition is almost complete now so hopefully the rebuilding works will not be as noisy.

I take on board you comments about our associates using the elevator and I will review this procedure along with my department managers. Being such a wonderful old and historical building it has its draw backs and one of them is that we only have one elevator in each of our three Townhouses, but neverthelss we can improve on this.

Thank you again and I very much hope now that 51 Buckingham Gate becomes your new address when in London. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the very near future and I do hope he has now fully recovered from his back problem.

Reviewed 2 November 2010

I stayed here recently with my two children ages 11 and 9. i found the service most welcoming and we had a beautiful suite. The library bar is a very nice place to have a drink in the evening. We had dinner in the Bistro attached to the Crown Plaza which was nice but not busy so lacked atmosphere. My overwhelming view of the hotel was fantastic staff who could not have been more helpful. The location was a wonderful for sightseeing. I booked a taxi for a two hour sightseeing trip for 100GBP and thought that it was fantastic value and we saw so much. Our driver was great. <info@blacktaxitours.co.uk>

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Dear Maggiemay027

Thank you very much for your great reveiw on our hotel after you recent visit with us here at 51, Taj Suites & Residences.

Along with my team it is our goal to ensure that all our guests have a very positive experience while staying here and I was delighted to see that you and your family had such a great time with us. I am also very pleased that your sight seeing trip went off very well too without any dissappointments..

We would love to welcome you all back again to 51 at some stage when you next visit London and in the meantime if I can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to let me know.

Reviewed 29 October 2010

I love 51. Why? Simply, the staff. There will always be better appointed rooms in London but where can you find staff who really make the difference? There's nothing that's too much trouble but you don't even need to ask. Just let them take care of you and take their advice - lovely recommendations for restaurants etc.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Dear Buttercupnottingham

I am so delighted to read that you had a great stay with us when you visited our hotel last month.

Thank you for your very kind and generous review of your visit and I am really pleased to see that the hotel and services enhanced your overall positive experience of your stay.

I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to 51, Taj Suites & Residences on your next visit to London.

In the meatime please contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 27 October 2010

My husband and 10-month old daughter traveled with me to London for some business meetings. Having a junior suite with a full kitchen, separate sitting area, and huge bathroom meant that we had enough room to spread out. When my daughter was suffering from jet lag, my husband sat up with her in the sitting room with the sliding doors to the bedroom closed so that I could rest for my meetings the next day. The service was fantastic - every issue raised was addressed promptly and we received lots of help with our luggage and strollers. The Library served complimentary drinks from 6:30-8:30 pm, which was very nice to relax after a long day. Bistro 51 next door had great food and stayed open relatively late as well. We had an amazing rate with Expedia, which brought the nightly rate down to what we would have paid for a Hilton, so it was great value.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
LR51BG, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2010

Dear Shungtx

Thank you very much for sharing your expereince of your recent stay with us here at 51 Taj Suites & Residences.

I was absolutley delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed the services and facilities we have to offer our guests here at 51.The Juinor Suite is an ideal space if you are traveling with your partner and one child. However we do have Suites ranging from the Junior Suite up to our 5 bedroom Prime Ministers Suite.

I hope in future you will chose 51 Buckingham Gate as your chosen hotel when you you are visiting London .

Reviewed 25 October 2010

This is an all suite/apartment hotel located between Victoria Station and Westminster Abbey. I was upgraded upon my arrival to a two bedroom, two bath flat complete with a separate full kitchen (with a washing machine). I took advantage of this to fly my wife and daughter over to join me for the second week of my business trip.

The accommodations are very clean, reasonable level of finish, not flashy. We found it very comfortable. The hotel faces a small courtyard, St. James' Court, off of Buckingham Gate Road accessed through an archway from the street, and shares it with the Crowne Plaza which is under the same ownership/management. There are some nice restaurants in the complex, including Quilon, a Michelin-starred Indian restaurant. I think Tamarind in Mayfair is better, but that's just me. The hotel's fitness facility is one of the larger ones, and better equipped, that I've seen in London. Unfortunately, it opens at 6:30 am which is a little late for my tastes.

Just a couple of blocks towards Victoria Station is a new office complex with a lot of ground floor retail and restaurants which provide good eating. More importantly, there is a Marks & Spencer with a food hall that provides an excellent source for prepared foods and stuff to stock your apartment's refrigerator and kitchen.

The closest tube station is St. James Place. Victoria Station is just a little bit of a further walk, but you don't want to fight those crowds during rush hours, trust me!

Negatives - our unit faced onto the schoolyard of the neighboring Westminster City School. That was pretty noisy starting at 8:30 in the morning and during the school day. This should not be an issue during the summer school break. And they should really change their shower heads - they put out streams of water rather than a spray. And the business center had only one computer, although you had access to the business center in the Crowne Plaza.

The staff is very attentive and the concierges do a great job. I prefer staying in Mayfair but if my regular hotel isn't available, I wouldn't hesitate to book at 51 Buckingham Gate. And if I was travellling with family, the apartments here would be my first choice.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Dear PDLJ

Thank you very much for sharing your expereince with us after your recent visit to 51, Taj Suites & Residences.

Overall I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us and thank you for your valued feedback on the hotel and facilities. I note from your review that this is normaly not where you stay when in London but we would be delighted to welcome you back again when you come with your family or even on business.

Thank you again and if I can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hotel Manager