“A great experience.”

Ranked #5 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Perth, Australia
“A great experience.”
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I stayed at the Hotel on a recent trip from my home in Perth Australia, the trip was a thank you to my brother and sister in law for their support during a family crisis, they loved it I loved it and the hotel is so close to all I wanted to see in London it was a fantastic trip topped off by the standard of your Hotel.
Thank You.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank loanboy88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2011

51 Buckingham Gate is a well located 5 star hotel a stone's throw from the Queen's London residence; we were upgraded to a huge one bedroom suite at the same price that you would pay for a standard room in any other 5 star hotel; it had a fully equipped kitchen which we didnt use as there was no need - the Hotel has an extensive room service menu including food from a one star Michelin South Indian restaurant on the premises as well as the standard fare of beef; fish and chips...Bed was very comfortable and you could even choose from a pillow menu that included tempur pillows; the only complaint was the sound of the airconditioning/heating unit in the bedroom which made a whirring sound on and off but the second night became accustomed to this background noise. Get a higher floor bedroom otherwise it can be a little dark especially the rooms at the back of the hotel which faces a church and building site; there is also a building site at the very front entrance side of the hotel which didnt bother us as it was between Xmas and New Year so site was closed. Huge bathroom with Molton Brown toiletries, a good shower. We didnt use the lounge but looked very cosy with a fireplace and complimentary bites and drinks during the evening. Will definitely be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, 17 January 2011
Dear Sienna 88,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write and to share your experiece at 51 Buckingham Gate with other travellers around the globe and thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay.

I am truly delighted to know that you had a wonderful time at the hotel and that you found your suite and the food choices to your liking. The suites are indeed very large, and even those we call the smallest, our Junior Suites are over 550 square feet or 48 square metres, so plenty space to relax and to make your suite your own home in London.

The pillow menu is a lovely amenity as you will always have a choice for a softer or harder, feather or even synthetic filled pillows allowing you to have the best night sleep according to your preferences. Next time you visit us you shold also try the bath menu, our butlers can arrange for you a relaxing or an envigorating experience or even a romantic bath for two....lovely for a special stay ...and with Valentines coming soon..., and all with the Molton Brown fragances that you so seem to like.

I am sorry to read about the disturbance you experienced from the air conditioning system, I can only guess that during the very cold nights we had over the holidays the system was working harder than usual creating some extra noise or vibrations but I am glad to read that it did not stop you having eventually a good night rest.

The building around the hotel may not be the most beautiful site at the moment but we will soon have a lovely modern glass building in front of the hotel with the best thing....more shops in our doorstep.

We will be delighted to welcome you back to 51 Buckingham Gate very soon again and hopefully you will have more time at the hotel to enjoy the complimentary drinks and canapes at the cozy Library.

Best wishes

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We stayed at 51 for 3 nights for our anniversary. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was really big and very nice! The only thing missing was a place for hanging our outdoor coats in the hall..
We have travelled the world and stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels but this belongs in our top 2. The staff at the hotel is the number one in our top 10.
They made our stay a big party! Everything was possible. Even a reservation at Bar Boulud on saturday evening. The facial at the spa was one of the best I had in a long time.
Breakfast was perfect in a quiet small room with fresh products. The conciergeteam arranged everything we needed and more!

If you want something special and want to be treated in a personal and sincere fashion: this 'second home' is the place to be!

We will be back.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter L
Araceli-London, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, 29 December 2010
Dear Looije,

Thank you so very much for your fantastic review, I am delighted to know that you have rated 51 Buckingham Gate among your two top hotels and even happier to know that you have rated our staff as your number one! this is truly amazing specially from a season traveller like you.

Time after time the concierge team at 51 gets recognised and Nelson, Alex and the new addition to the team Lazhar cannot get enough credit as they will persevere doing their utmost to get that restaurant booking or that theatre ticket that is so difficult to find, they are delighted to know that you so enjoyed your stay and that their contribution made your anniversary so special.

The Spa at 51 has fabulous Anne Semmonin products and since they are specially mixed and prepared for each individual skin type by the therapists, they can work fantastic results, so if you liked your facial you should try next time one of the full body massages, they are very good indeed.

Thank you once again for your lovely comments and I wish you a very happy New Year .

I look forward to seeing you on your return to 51 Buckingham Gate.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 November 2010

My family and I stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment for a week at 51 BG. This is a 5 star hotel and it lived up to it. Our apartment was on the 7th floor, spacious (especially for european standards), nicely appointed.

The entire complex is beautiful and the staff was very gracious. I even asked them to stock our refrigerator before we arrived and they had our rooms available early after our flight from the US. We didn't use the gym and spa, but that looked great, too. We did go down to the library for complementary drinks and appetizers, which was very nice.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Dear Woodzey,

Thank you very much for your superb review.

I am delighted to know that you and your family had an enjoyable stay at 51 Buckingham Gate and you found both the hotel beautiful and the staff gracious.

The two and three bedroom suites are definately a fantastic choice for families travelling together as they offer you the space to really feel like at home, and all those little touches such as having the butlers to do the grocery shopping for you in advance or getting the concierge team to make all sort of arrangements is what we love to do.

I do hope you will come back and stay with us again, if you liked the hotel in the winter you can imagine how beautiful it looks when the garden is full of flowers and the Courtyard becomes an open air restaurant with drinks, barbeques and afternoon teas, so do let me know when you plan your next trip to London, we would love to have you back with us.

I wish you a very happy and successful New Year

Atlantic City
Reviewed 29 November 2010

51 Buckingham is a fine place to stay with an excellent location. Having said that, this isn't 5 star accomodation. They offered a lot in theory, but the reality didn't pan out well

Physically, it is very pretty, but from a practical view, the furniture in our one bedroom suite offered very little storage for clothes. We travel pretty lightly and the closet was an ok size, but we had to immediately request more than seven hangers provided. The "dresser" in the bedroom was an old entertainment center that had four thin shelves obviously intended for DVD players, etc which we ended up using for our clothes and an enormous space that could fit a television where we stored our suitcases. That was literally all that was provided for clothes storage. The vanity would have been more functional if it had a light as that area of the room was pretty dark so it just ended up being in the way.

When we arrived, there was a nice gift basket with fruit, cookies, tea etc. wrapped in celophane. We had been using these items and storing them in the wicker basket in which they were presented. On our fouth day the things were dumnped on the counter and the basket was gone. Clearly we were using the basket so this just seemed kind of cheesy. I mean, had it disappeared the first day I probably wouldn't have given it a thought, but this makes me think they needed it for another room. Another day all of our detergents and paper towel disappeared. Another day we inexplicably received a mini bar charge for a bottle of white wine and a can of soda that we didn't use.

The powder room (yup, it had a bath and a half) was a nice touch but the sink completely blocked the door opening so you had to kind of wedge your way in sideways and if we were large people, we wouldn't have used it at all. This area probably would have been of more service as a closet.

The kitchen had an oven, dish washer and clothes washer/drier that were ultimately very helpful, but four staff members were sent up before one of them could figure out how the appliances function. A simple "how to" sheet would have been such a time saver for all of us.

I am a 50 year old woman and not particularly menacing looking, but for some reason, on our sixth day, a security guard followed me into the lobby insisting I show him my key, which was a little embarrassing as there were several other people in the lobby at the time. First, he could have casually kept an eye on me to make sure I entered a room using a key so that I wouldn't be aware of his concerns and secondly, this isn't a huge place -- I expect security people, especially, to be observant enough to recognize a guest who had been there for the past week.

I think it would be helpful if the housekeeping staff had some indoctrination about how to deal with people's personal items. In my experience maids work around where guests keep there toiletries or all of the maids in a hotel have a standard manner to lay out everyone's things. At 51 Buckingham it was anyone's guess where I would find my toothbrush everyday and one day one of the cleaning staff layed out things that I had stored in my travel kit. It was like having an annoying roomate.

On the other hand, some actions seemed robotic. For example, every day the maid put bottles of water on the nightstands even though the previous days bottles weren't used so by the end of the stay we had over a dozen sitting there.

On our last day as I was checking the room I found someone's old plane ticket paperwork, some shoe trees and an orange behind the drapes so maybe not as clean as it could have been.

Finally, part of our package included transportation to the train station on our last day. The front desk person had a rather loud argument with the taxi driver in front of us regarding the fare which was uncomfortable. The cabbie's estimate was very nearly perfect, by the way.

By themselves each of these incidents were minor, but as a whole, exhausting.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank globewalker6
Dear Globewalker6,

I would like to thank you for your constructive review and specially for staying with us at 51 Buckingham Gate Taj Suites and Residences during you London trip.

Whilst we are always eager to receive good comments about the facilities and services at the hotel we do understand that in your case we didn't deliver to your expectations and I am terribly sorry for that. I believe my colleague Liam contacted you to apologise directly as it was very dissapointing for us to hear about the issues you mentioned in your review.

We have indeed taken notes of your comments and I will personally ensure that some of these matters are resolved so that they do not cause annoyance to future guests of the hotel.

I would like to reasure you as well as other readers that some of the actions you hightlighted were done for your comfort , like the removal of the wicker basket from the kitchen which was taken to freed up space and to ensure you had the items displayed in the kitchen counter instead of kept in the basket out of sight and possibly forgotten, some others such as failing to see that you did not need water each night, or the tidying up of your toiletries by the maids could have been easily spoted and I am sorry the result was not to your satisfaction.

The housekeeping team are delighted to provide you with additional hangers, clothes rails and even additional drawer units for your suite, all we need to know is what items you will personally need to be more comfortable while staying with us.

I am delighted to let you know that a new kitchen instructions manual is currently being designed and it is going to be in a very easy format.

One last but very important thing that I would like to mention is that related to security. We take security very seriously and in the townhouse were there is a key card access only, security will approach those guests and visitors who may not have a key to enter or who may need assistance to enter the building. This is not done in a threatning way but simply as a question to find out if you are a guest at the hotel. I am sorry if securirty failed to recognise you after six days with us but while this may have upset you please believe me this is done to protect you and all guests residing in the hotel.

I would very much like to have the opportunity to have you stay at 51 Buckingham Gate again and to ensure that the second time would be a real 5 star experience for you.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I wish you all the best for a happy New Year

Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Perfedt stay! Everyone was kind and friendly. Our breakfast was awesome. Best Hotel in London!
We had a big room which was absolutely comfortable. It's close to Victoria Station and Buckingham Palace. Two Restaurants belong to the Hotel (and to Crowne Placa St. James Court). Especially the "Quilon" is a Michelin-Star-Restaurant (Lunch for only 23 Pounds).

We will never ever forget this amazing holiday!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
LR51BG, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, 27 November 2010
Dear Kleinesherz86

Thank you very much for your wonderful reveiw on our hotel after your stay with us earlier this month.

I was delighted to read that the service and the facilities contributed to your overall expereince while staying with us and that you had a very enjoyable stay. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I do hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to 51 Buckingham Gate , Taj Suites & Residences on your next visit to London.

On behalf of myself and the team here we wish you a very happy Christmas.

Kind regards

Liam Ryan
HOTEL MANAGER
New york
Reviewed 9 November 2010

This was my second time staying at 51 Buckingham Gate, and it was just as perfect as the first time had been. The service is impeccable, hotel and rooms are beautiful, spa is nice, restaurants are delicious, and the courtyard and outside of the hotel are also very attractive.

The rooms are enormous - large bathroom with bath and shower, lovely big bed, high quality kitchen with anything you might need (not that one needs to cook while in London, but wish we'd been able to stay long enough to make use of it). We went to the Indian restaurant and, though I don't normally enjoy Indian food, I had to admit that the food was absolutely delicious. The massage I had at the spa was nice, though nothing fantastic. The bar in the Crowne Plaza (somehow connected to 51 Buckingham Gate and just across the courtyard) was also nice. The Library inside 51 Buckingham Gate had a great selection of hors d'oeuvres and drinks, and proved to be a very easy place to chat with fellow guests, all of whom were very intelligent, elegant, and friendly - the kind of guest you'd like to think you are :)

Though the prices are steep, it's certainly worth it for what might be the largest rooms in London (that are also in a beautiful 5-star hotel), perfect service, and the convenient neighborhood. Hoping to have another opportunity to stay there again soon!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
LR51BG, Manager at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences, responded to this review, 11 November 2010
Dear NewYorkdaniela

I was delightd to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for writing such a wonderful complimentary reveiw of your expereince with us here at 51 Buckingham Gate, Taj Suites & Residences.

I am so pleased that the hotel and the servcies offered enhanced your overall enjoyment of your stay and I am sorry that the treatment in the Spa did not meet with your expectations.
I note it was your second stay with us but I hope from here on in this will be your permanent home whenever you visit London in the future.

Thank you again and please do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards