“Great location”

Ranked #25 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Spruce Grove, Canada
“Great location”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

My family of 5 stayed for 4 nights in October. We'd requested a room that could accommodate everyone. The room was extremely squished with one double and three singles. That said, the beds were all comfortable. The English breakfast was lovely. The bathroom was tiny so there was a lot of juggling with 5 people.
The location is great. Super close walking distance to the underground tube and fabulous restaurants. We felt safe there.
Gower Street is busy street and our room faced the road. As other reviewers have mentioned, a room facing the garden would have been better. That said, the storm windows really cut down on the noise. I always bring earplugs on holidays so I wasn't disturbed.
Our son forgot his precious stuffed animal and they kindly and promptly mailed it home for us.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I, American tourists on a budget, stayed at the Jesmond (not be be confused with the Jesmond Dene near St Pancras) for eight nights in October, having done considerable advance internet research on budget accommodations in London. This hotel has a very high proportion of favorable assessments on Trip Advisor, a proportion that our experience confirmed as well-deserved. We were very much pleased with our stay.
The family members who own and operate the hotel are warm and hospitable hosts; the staff of two who do most of the cooking and cleaning likewise; breakfast in the cheerful (if a little bit overheated) breakfast room is good and ample; the beds are comfortable; our room facing the street was quiet (I had the impression there is little traffic on Gower Street at night); the back garden is lovely, and the breakfast room is a quiet refuge for intervals during the day. In the breakfast room is a computer with free internet access (but no printer).
The bathroom that we shared (apparently with five other room-tenants), up just a half-flight of stairs, was actually three rooms with separate entrances (toilet, tub and sink; toilet and sink; and a shower). There was never a wait. I retreated to the tub for our stay, after being unable to master the shower’s hot-water mixer, but my wife did fine with the shower. Everything was spotlessly clean. Hot water was quick and ample. The sink in our room was fine (larger than the bathroom sinks) for shaving and washing up.
The tube and bus service in Central London are amazingly convenient. From the bus stop two minutes down Gower Street, Trafalgar Square is ten minutes away. The Goodge Street tube station is a five-minute walk. From Heathrow, the Piccadilly tube line takes you to nearby Russell Square in less than an hour (or right to Goodge Street if you change to the Northern Line at Leicester Square). Get yourself a bus map at any Tube station. Google Maps will give you bus and tube directions between locations in London! Take a look at the London Tool Kit on the web. If you are interested in classical music performances (as we were), take a look at Bachtrack on the web.
We found that the EAT a block south of the Goodge Street tube station was fine for take-out sandwiches. South of the British Museum, around Coptic Street, we found a cluster of small ethnic restaurants for sit-down eating, including the excellent (and not expensive) Giotto Italian restaurant on New Oxford Street, about two blocks west of Gower Street (which by then has become Bloomsbury Street). (Giotto has a web site.)
This is a budget hotel. The room was small, with somewhat limited space for storage and sitting down. Clean but not fancy. Our room was up one flight of stairs. (There is no elevator.) The Jesmond is an excellent value for the money, if you intend to be out and about in London during your stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank funkypoobah
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was my second visit to Jesmond Hotel, and we will come back! It has a nice atmosphere, the staff is nice and very helpful, the rooms has all you need if your main purpose is seeing London, and the good breakfast gives you a good start. All this for a very good price. And the hotel has a good location, and lots of buses and tube stations near by.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Amsterdam
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was my second visit to the Jesmond Hotel, this time for 6 nights and it was as excellent as the first.
My room was a single en-suite room, and although small it had everything I needed, and most importantly it was clean clean clean!
The location of the Jesmond is excellent, walking distance to most things that I wanted to see, museums, and the galleries near Trafalgar square. There are restaurants near by, behind the hotel off Tottenham Court Road, but London being as it is most are middle prices upwards. Not many decent cheap places to eat other than generic fast food places.
The staff at the hotel are very good, and do their best to make sure that all of the guests are comfortable during their stay. They will try and help you if you have a problem, so make sure you ask for advice, or help if you have any issues.
Breakfast is wonderful. Plenty of food, and served in a nice atmosphere in the basement. Maria cooks a great English breakfast!
One small criticism is the heat in the room in the summer months. I stayed in July, and although a fan is provided it can get quite warm. That said, I did sleep well every night. The price of the room did though reflect the fact that no A/C is provided, and that was main factor in returning.
Overall I would say that for price versus facilities this is an excellent hotel. It is not fancy, and if you want luxury this is not the place for you. If like me you want a central, clean, friendly hotel where you will get a good nights sleep and a great breakfast, then this is the best I have found in Bloomsbury.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Overmars11
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We booked this hotel without looking at the travellers photos on this site, unfortunately. The location was in a walking distance to the main attractions and the hotel looked nice on its own website, so we thought £110 per night was a reasonable price for the area. First thing we realised, is that it's still quite a long way to walk (unless you go to the British Museum) and there was a bus stop just outside plus 3 underground stations quite close, so location didn't matter that much. Our en suite room looked depressing. A mix of very dated furniture, horrible painted panel as a head of the bed and ugly lamps on it, the bed cover looked too suspicious to sit on it. The only nice feature in the room was the marble fireplace, but it was blocked from the sight with a massive chair-bed. The whole impression was of some hostel, not a £110 per night accommodation. We were so shocked, that we actually went straight on the tripadvisor only to find pictures of this particular room looking exactly the same 5 years ago! Including the dated bed cover. To be fair, the bathroom was nice and clean and had everything you need. Breakfast could only be called full English for those, who's never had one yet. Served on almost a saucer it definitely was not what you expect to keep you going at least until lunch. There was some nice cheese and fruit to have though. As for the lovely garden - nobody ever mentioned to us that we can use it and to get there you have to go through the reception room, which seemed awkward. Very disappointed, will definitely go for chain hotels next time we travel to London, at least you know what you get there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank northernlightsss
Jesmond-Hotel, Manager at Jesmond Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Hello “Northernlightsss”,
Can I thank you for taking the time to write a review and also say that I am very sorry to hear of the negative aspects of your stay, which you comment on.
Your first issue regarding our location is one with which I am very surprised. Our central location is one which many new and returning guests comment positively on, and are extremely happy with. Our transport links are exceptional and we are walking distance from many of the main sights that would attract guests to London.
The issue of the general standard of the rooms, and your assertions around that are ones by which I am saddened. We regularly maintain our rooms, replace furniture and re-decorate. If any issue had been brought to my, or any of my staff’s attention during your stay, such as any issue with a bed-cover that may or may not have required cleaning, I am certain that we could have corrected those issues that you raised at once. We take great pride in our cleanliness and general upkeep of our rooms and building. It may be the case that the colour scheme of our rooms have remained the same from a picture taken 5 years ago, but I can assure you that it has been re-decorated within the last 2 years.
The description of our breakfast is one with which I disagree. It, I believe, does not lack in quantity. I do apologise if you did not think that it was sufficient, however I am pleased to say that you have a minority view when asserting that we do not provide enough food for our guests.
Our garden is available for any guests use, and is available during daylight hours. Only last week, two guests were pleased to be able to use the garden almost daily in the afternoons for a little peace, catch up on emails and read. The only access is through our office, however we would encourage any guest to use the garden whenever they wish to, and they are always very welcome to do so.
May I finally sincerely apologise if any of the negative aspects of your stay with us impacted on your holiday in London. We do aim to provide a warm and welcome atmosphere and are sorry that you did not experience that with us. We hope that all of our guests enjoy their stay, which then leads to a more pleasant time in London generally.
Yours sincerely,
Mr Glyn Beynon
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The hotel is in an excellent location and close to Goodge Street and Russell Square underground stations. The en suite rom was spacious and the breakfast every morning was a great start to the day. Highly recommended for any travellers.

Room Tip: The bedroom downstairs next to the lounge / dining room is brilliant.