“Afternoon tea here is distinctly average made worse by rude staff”
Review of Afternoon Tea

Afternoon Tea
Ranked #3,092 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$32 - US$51
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: Afternoon Tea is a quintessentially English tradition and is upheld in its finest form here at The Milestone. It is a treat in more ways than one - a delicious array of delicate finger sandwiches is accompanied by warm freshly baked scones served with Devonshire clotted cream and home-made preserves, as well as a selection of pastries including éclairs, tartlets, cupcakes and macaroons. Accompanied by a vast tea menu or perhaps a glass of champagne, enjoy tea at your leisure in fine surroundings and experience the superior service for which The Milestone is renowned. Top tip: Make sure you let us know which treat you liked best and we'll be happy to bring you another, as well as free flowing top-ups of your selected tea or coffee.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea here is distinctly average made worse by rude staff”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Date of Visit: September 2013

My friend treated me to afternoon tea here as a present.

There is very little parking in the area, so it took us some time to find a parking space, although we were on time for out booking, which was 3pm (15:00hrs).

We arrive and enter through the front desk I was 'greeted' by a woman on reception who treated me as if I really ought not to be there. When I told her we were there for afternoon tea she called over to two men who showed us to the room, but we were made to stand at the entrance to the room for a few moments while they decided where we would sit - bearing in mind we had a booking and the room was empty except for a couple who had about 4 children with them. My friend and I were eventually pointed to the table - yes I use the term "point" since we were not shown to our seats!

We were seated in a nice little corner in the rather chintzy room. After a long while our waitress came, she wreaked of cigarettes and weirdly couldn't keep still when explaining the menu to us and then presented with menus. The afternoon tea menu isn't extensive; there are a few choices some came with champagne and other alcohols. Since I was greeted with disdain by the receptionist, I chose the cheapest afternoon tea as I just wanted to get out of there.

The tea was nice, the food itself wasn't great, the scones were dry and the patisserie over sweet and rather unpleasant. During the tea we had a waiter come and top up our tea which was nice, I'm pleased we didn't see the smelly waitress again.

During our tea a fatter older gentleman came up to my friend and I and informed us we'd have to hurry up and be out by 4:30pm as they wanted the table clear for another party. No one else was spoken to, just my friend and I. Suffice it to say, I registered my disgust with the whole experience by finishing the afternoon tea in my own time, circa 5pm.

I won't be going back there- there are nicer, cleaner, more professional establishments in London where people can enjoy afternoon tea.

I do not recommend this place.

1 Thank Chachachingching

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
“Great and plentiful Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Visited the Milestone for afternoon tea a a special treat out with my Mum. The experience was great, very enjoyable food and nicely presented and a good (if not vast) selection of teas. The service was great and the atmosphere relaxing and understated. We couldn't finish all the treats so they were boxed up nicely for later, when we'd made more room!

• Visited June 2014
“Run to the Milestone Hotel Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I recently went to their Afternoon Tea and truly found the food to be fabulous. The red velvet cupcakes were insanely moist. I haven’t seen a better offering of tea sandwiches from a luxury hotel prior to this. I would suggest having the tea in their tea room and not reserving a private room for large groups. For a detailed review and loads of pictures, see my blog Sunny in London.

• Visited May 2014
Pitea, Sweden
“Such a treat!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had afternoon tea here as a part of our honeymoon and we loved it! The scones was lovely and the cakes were even better! The service was friendly and they treated us with extra champagne because it was our honeymoon! We would absolutely come back! Thank you!!

• Visited June 2013
Paris, France
“Nice afternoon tea, but room for improvement”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I went here with my husband and friend for an afternoon tea. The service was efficient and friendly, but could be a little more refined. They were diligent in taking note of my nut allergy in advance, which I appreciated, and gave me a good range of alternatives. However, for the price, which parallels that of some of the five star great London hotels, the quality of the food could be improved. It lacked that element of innovation or surprise, especially in the pastries. The ambiance was very cosy and traditional, which I liked. However, when we arrived we were dismayed to hear the radio playing in the background soft rock music. No one wants to enjoy afternoon tea listening to REM. We asked them to change the music to classical, and they kindly obliged, but these are the small details they should be thinking of in advance.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank MPKParis

Been to Afternoon Tea? Share your experiences!