“Offensive receptionists”

The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue
Ranked #475 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Food excellent; room ok; most staff friendly and competent.

Checking in receptionist was very offensive. Told me I didn't have a reservation; then told me I'd booked for only one night; then told me repeatedly that I had not and could not have booked early checkin and late checkout as these were not available online. I showed him the confirmation email that confirmed - and charged for - three night booking with early checkin and late checkout. Of course no room was ready. The receptionist also told me that late checkout couldn't be booked ahead and I had to tell them the day before.

Checking out. I decided I would check out promptly and checked out at 9am. The invoice showed a late checkout charge of £30. They removed this when I told them to.

Now I get home and I see they charged me twice for early checkin!

The food was very good and the sleep was excellent. Single rooms are basically student accommodation (eg very thin walls, tiny pointless desk). Double rooms are fine (I have stayed once before).

If/when the booking system becomes trustworthy and the receptionists are taught how to deal with customers, I would recommend.

Room Tip: In the single room I had I could hear the guy snoring in the next room. Could have been worse of co...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ivan6612
KAMAU1969, MD at The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Distinguished Guest IVAN,

It is very clear from your review that we did not live up to your expectation. Thank you for highlighting the areas you felt we fell short. I promise you that all these have been investigated and improvements made so that our guests can continue to enjoy premier services and quality stay. We happened to have some overzealous new receptionsts on the day and we have trained them on excellent customer service.

Once again I give you my promise to thoroughly deal with all the issues that made you that unhappy and hope I can persuade you to try us in a few weeks to see for yourself.

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Rooms are great, location is brilliant and meeting and the greeting was fantastic. But not foggetting to mention check in by the reception James considering he was new, me and my girlfriend was over wealmed by his hospitality he provided.
He showed us the best tourist attraction in london and how to get around london by train, he helped lift up luaggage because there was a small set of stairs in entrance. Very polite and very professional four star hotel, four star service. He made our experience bright, Thank you James ;)

• Stayed: July 2013

Esteemed guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting such a positive review! I am extremely delighted that we exceeded your expectations. We have created in this space some of the most comfortable bedrooms rooms that compete favourably with five stars hotels in London. We have rooms in all sizes to give our guests a wide choice.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer you TheWesley brand of hospitality and letting the everyone know how much you enjoyed it. A social enterprise like ours thrives on the positive messages from people like yourselves.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We booked a deluxe double room at this hotel from Saturday, July 13th until Monday 15th. We arrived around mid-day, checked our booking and left our suitcases as it was too early to actually check in. We went off for the day and came back at about 9.45pm to be told there was no longer a double room available for us. An attempt was made to find us a room at another hotel but after a few minutes we were told that our best option would be to take a single room they could offer us and another private sub-standard room in the basement. This was because it was very busy in London and they might not be able to get us another room elsewhere. Apparently it is standard practice to overbook and had we booked direct with the hotel this wouldn't have been a problem! We were given £100 off the price of our booking - not brilliant considering the inconvenience and disappointment of it all. We were given a Jubilee room for the second night but the air conditioning wasn't working so we ended up moving again. We put in a formal complaint at the end of our stay and were told that there wasn't a manager we could speak to but someone would get in touch - so far this hasn't happened. This has been a really disappointing experience for us particularly as the hotel claims to be 'ethical' and not like other 'profit maximisation' hotels!
On the plus side the deluxe room we eventually ended up in was clean, tidy, ample room and the air conditioning worked! The staff were friendly and on the whole helpful.

Room Tip: Jubilee rooms aren't worth the extra money. Make sure you check in early on a Saturday night
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Distinguished Guest,

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed here with a colleague, we were attending a conference a short walk away. We shared a twin which was reasonably sized. Could have done with more power points though. The room was well equipped with water, biscuits, tea and coffee. Bathroom was very small though.
Buffet breakfast was basic but adequate- we hadn't taken the cooked option. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Esteemed guest

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer you TheWesley hospitality and letting us and all our potential guests know how much you enjoyed it. Thank you for highlighting the areas you felt we fell short. I promise you that all these will be investigated and where improvements are needed made so that our guests can continue to enjoy premier services and quality stay.

A social enterprise like ours thrives on the positive messages from people like yourselves. As you may have learnt from us during your stay, we are the first ethical hotel in the UK. What that means is that we aim to provide guests with what we promise, that is quality service and accommodation but also all our profits are gift-aided for the education of deserving students all over the world.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Rooms a bit small and outside air conditioning can be loud but better than traffic noise.staff friendly and helpful and breakfast excellent. Ate in one night and it was good too.
Location was superb--approx 150 yards in to Euston and the Northern line !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I thought I was booked in to a superior hotel - double bed in room of reasonable size - instead it was like a glorified student accommodation - small single bed in a hostel. It was well appointed however with bottled water tea coffee, biscuits and the bed was comfortable. An extra, thin curtain would have been nice as once the main curtains were opened there was no privacy.

Shower was quite slippery so not really suitable for older people.

Staff on reception were initially impressive and helpful but when I went away for two days and asked for the room which had already paid for to be held I came back and found it had been let to someone else. Gives you a strange feeling - also probably illegal. Fortunately they had a bigger room free and I was upgraded.

Location is very convenient to Euston and restaurants near the station.

I also found the maids out in the corridor very noisy at 8 in the morning like another reviewer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for the many positives you mention regarding your stay with us. It is very clear from your review that we did not live up to your expectation. Thank you for highlighting the areas you felt we fell short. I promise you that all these will be investigated and where improvements are needed made so that our guests can continue to enjoy premier services and quality stay.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

We visitted the MIC hotel during Easter with our family and were very pleased. The rooms are well appointed, and the staff were more than friendly. Th ebreakfast was rich and the dinner was truly fantastic. gorgeous suite.

Room Tip: if you need a cot make sure it comfortably fits in your room prior to booking.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Esteemed guest

We have created in this space some of the most comfortable bedrooms rooms that compete favourably with five stars hotels in London. We have rooms in all sizes to give our guests a wide choice. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer you TheWesley hospitality and letting us and all our potential guests know how much you enjoyed it.