“Ticks all the boxes for us”

The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue
Ranked #417 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Rugby
“Ticks all the boxes for us”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We arrived to early to check in as we had to travel at 7am on the off chance, the reception staff were very helpful and let us have the room because it was ready.The room was fine clean and modern with a nice shower and toilet ensuite.There was ample tea coffee and hot chocolate provided with biscuits and sweets as well.The wifi is free and good reception all over the hotel can be had.I cannot understand the previous comments about bed size as the one we had was as big as my bed at home which is a king size double.The hotel generally is quiet the room we had seem to pick up a ventilation fan noise from outside which I found kept me awake a little but on checking in the morning I found the secondary double glazing was open slightly and closing it eliminated the noise.We ate in the hotel restaurant in the evening which doesn't seem to be that well patronised the food was fine and the desert delicious the prices seem to be London average.The breakfast next morning was really nice with there being a good selection of hot and cold food to choose fromand I would rate it as one of the best I have had.Overall I would definitely go here for my next trip to London and would recommend it unreservedly also they let you leave your luggage there after check out if you want to collect it later. Well done thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Theduke900ss
KAMAU1969, MD at The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Esteemed guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting such a positive review! I am extremely delighted that we exceeded your expectations. I am encouraged by your statement and I quote, "Overall I would definitely go here for my next trip to London and would recommend it unreservedly also they let you leave your luggage there after check out if you want to collect it later. Well done thanks for a lovely stay."

We have created in this space some of the most comfortable bedrooms rooms that compete favourably with five stars hotels in London. We have rooms in all sizes to give our guests a wide choice. As you discovered, the WI-FI is free, the shower is strong, breakfast extras are cooked to your choice and you can leave your luggage after check-out.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer you TheWesley hospitality and letting us and all our potential guests know how much you enjoyed it. Thank you for highlighting the areas you felt we fell short. I promise you that all these will be investigated and where improvements are needed made so that our guests can continue to enjoy premier services and quality stay.

A social enterprise like ours thrives on the positive messages from people like yourselves. As you may have learnt from us during your stay, we are the first ethical hotel in the UK. What that means is that we aim to provide guests with what we promise, that is quality service and accommodation but also all our profits are gift-aided for the education of deserving students all over the world. We are also extremely carbon concious, ethical procurement and waste management.

MD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Nothing pretentious here but it's a comfortable, quiet and convenient place to stay, especially if you want to be near Euston and the British Library. Prices have undoubtedly risen since the hotel's reincarnation as "The Wesley" but the quality of accommodation, always good, has been significantly enhanced. It remains in my opinion very good value for money compared with the competition. The staff are friendly and helpful and the chef usually on duty at breakfast is full of enthusiasm and ready to prepare things not already out on display.
There is a lift but the peculiarities of the building mean there are some stairs to be negotiated. There is undoubtedly a change from the old Methodist International Centre (MIC) days but there is an effort being made here to maintain ethical trading practices.

Room Tip: We have stayed many times here. None of the rooms, I think, have much of a view but they are all of...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Esteemed guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting such a positive review! I am extremely delighted that we exceeded your expectations. I like your statement here and I quote, "since the hotel's reincarnation as "The Wesley" ....the quality of accommodation, always good, has been significantly enhanced. It remains in my opinion very good value for money compared with the competition."

Statesville, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I came in the hotel I was not impressed why? Reception area looked like a hostel? While my partner was checking in I had to look around and I was not to sure?

James in reception he was very bubbly and friendly tho he actually gave a explanation on how the hotel formerly known as the M.I.C (methodise international church) used to be a student accommodation and now they are transforming and at the same time refurbishing into the wesley the first ethical hotel in london, he showed the new conference corridor which the wesley sign and flooring looking all blingy which I must say I was quite impress with his presentation he gave which made me look forward to going to my room.

I actually was not happy with the size of the bed it was quite small and my partner who paid a hefty rate spoke to James who was happily able to give us an upgrade for free to meet our expectation.

I must add when my partner went to get some tea and sugar in reception he was gone for some time, he came back praising james how nice he was and he was saying how they generated a long conversation about just football.

Everything went very well rooms was clean and sleep. Brilliant location nice Indian 2mins away recommendation by James because there resturant stop serving at 9.30? Any way resturant called taste of india, they do buffet for 8 to 9 pounds which was excellent.

What was impressing and made our stay was James you cant get a lot of individual with the same level of customer serving like him, you had to be a natural because checking out was a different say the lady and gentleman in the morning looked so miserable, didn't ask no questions regarding how was our stay? Just printed out invoice and said here you go?

They need a on duty cleaner floors had dusty footprints in stair ways and corridors and walls had black marks, my partner used the men's toilet which he said one of the best toilets he had seen in his life but very very dirty like no body cleans it on a regular basis? Let's not get into full detail about this.

Breakfast was fantastic bar staff and resturant staff was great they had really bad habits in the evening when we went down for a glass of wine. Two staff just chatting away back towards the front bar having me to call for them and another sitting down on i phone.

For a hotel growing there is a lot to learn even tho rooms are fantastic they need to be in the habit of maintaining appearance because a mix of hmmm and wow can affect reputation.

• Stayed October 2013
Esteemed guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting such a positive review! I am extremely delighted that we exceeded your expectations. I am delighted that James at the FOH provided you with premier guest service even upgrading you for free to a room of your choice.

We have noted carefully the areas you felt we fell short and will work very hand to improve on these so that you and any other guest will have the best of TheWesley ethical hospitality.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed here recently. My hotel requirements are a clean,well laid out room with an office working area, large comfortable bed, powerful shower, good breakfast and professional staffing. The Wesley fits my bill.

Room Tip: Lower floors may be noisier
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RCGilfillan
KAMAU1969, MD at The Wesley Hotel & Conference Venue, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Esteemed guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting such a positive review! I am extremely delighted that we exceeded your expectations. We have created in this space some of the most comfortable bedrooms rooms that compete favourably with five stars hotels in London. We have rooms in all sizes to give our guests a wide choice.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer you TheWesley brand of hospitality and letting the everyone know how much you enjoyed it. A social enterprise like ours thrives on the positive messages from people like yourselves.

Liverpool
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Located at a 2 minute walk from Euston, this hotel is modern and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Bed was comfy, decent sized room, free WiFi, free breakfast and helpful staff,.

I would stay here everytime I visited London and highly recommend to anyone. I foolishly stayed in the Hilton Euston which cost the same price and was bitterly dissapointed!

Room Tip: Room 328 couldnt receive a WiFi signal, they moved me no hassle with a free upgrade!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LeeLad82

Reviewed 6 October 2013

The hotel has stairs in each floor. There is no how to go to the room by elevator only. We have to carry the lugagge in the stairs of the floor. Very strange and disappointed.
There was lots of noise.
The reception has only 2 stairs (2 seats) that were occupied and my husband was sitting in a stair inside, someone from the hotel simply asked him to go out.
The hotel agreed to receive some itens from post office by email previously, but didn't accept the itens and they returned what caused lots of trouble to me.
Really a very bad experience!!!

Room Tip: There was lots of noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank robertaag
Distinguished Guest,

It is very clear from your review that we did not live up to your expectation. Thank you for highlighting the areas you felt we fell short. I promise you that all these will be investigated and where improvements are needed made so that our guests can continue to enjoy premier services and quality stay.

Once again I give you my promise to thoroughly deal with all the issues that made you that unhappy and hope I can persuade you to try us in a few weeks to see for yourself.

Beijing, China
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I had stayed in a single room for two nights. The hotel is just next to the Euston Station, and the British Museum, Oxford Street, Leister Square, Trafalgar Square are all within walking distance(about 25 minutes). The single room I had stayed in is clean and comfortable. What I love it most is that the bathroom is large and has a big window. I'd like to thank Afzan and Anna, they are really friendly and helpful. I'd also mention that there is a bar nearby, so there may be some slight noise at weekend nights. But it didn't matter to me at all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo