“Good value for money in a central London location, recommendable”

Marble Arch - Gloucester Place Hotel
Ranked #745 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The hotel is located only 5 minutes walk off Oxford street, when standing in front of the hotel and looking down to Oxford Street you see the corner of Primark store. We stayed at Gloucester Place from Thursday to Monday. There are chandeliers in the hallway and big landscape paintings and mirrors.
The hotel made a nice and clean impression on us upon arrival. To check in we had to go to the basement, where the reception as well as the breakfast room is located. The guy at the reception wasn’t the friendliest, it would have been nice, if he’d put a smile on at least. He was polite though. We were half an hour early but our room was just ready for us, which was good. Check in was without any problems. Our room number was 6, which was a room located on the level between ground and 1st floor. It seemed to be an extension the original building and was at the back of the building. The first door we opened was kind of a vestibule, which was like a very small conservatory, with a colored glass window. Here was the wardrobe, an air conditioning machine and tea making facilities located.
Through the second door we entered our room. The door was very heavy, I have to say. A key in only needed for the first door, though.
The room was small but comfortable. We had a double standard en-suite room for 115 pound per night incl. continental breakfast. The room was clean with a very soft red carpet.
Behind the door was a big fridge, which came in handy when we picked up drinks and food from the supermarket. The flatscreen TV was behind the door, too, installed above the fridge on the wall.
The bathroom was newly renovated in a modern style and looked very nice. The shower cabin was very big, which we appreciated, since we’re both 5’10’’. There was a small and a big towel available per person, as well as soap and some shower gel. We would have appreciated an additional towel rack and shelf in the bathroom. Since there was none, we had to store our toiletries on the windowsill in our room and spread the towels across the bathroom and bedroom. Also there was no heating in the bathroom, hence it was always a little cold in there. We could have left the door from our room open but the fan in the bathroom was going directly outside and all the heat would have vanished into thin air.
A plus is that the heating in the main room is not running all day but heats up from 7:00 pm – which is also a minus, because if your are back in the room early it is cold.
The bed was a little soft for our taste, so nights were not as restful as we would have liked but it was still o.k. The room was very quiet, which we really appreciated.
There was also a little crack in the wall beside the bed were some of the plaster and paint had come off, this just didn’t look so nice.
The B&B has a buffet-style continental breakfast, which is included in the price and which offers: boiled eggs, tomato egg omelets, cheese egg omelets, scrambled eggs, 2 different types of cold cuts, 1 type of cheese, nutella, some fruit, tomato and cucumber slices, different jams, cereals, juices, tea, coffee, hot chocolate (some other spreads and bakery products, too). You can chose if you want brown or white toast. It was rather chilly in the breakfast room, which was in the style of a conservatory in the basement and seemed to have been the backyard of the house. It does not offer seats for all of the guests so it can get very busy at times. The staff is friendly and seems mostly from Eastern Europe. Service could have been a little bit quicker, since our omelets were almost cold until the toast arrived. English breakfast would have been an additional 3 pound per person, we did not go for it but we wouldn’t have mind.
For check out we just had to drop off our key and check out time is 11 am, which is very comfortable.
We would have liked out towels to be exchanged halfway through our stay.
There is also a Tesco express nearby, as well as other food-shopping opportunities nearby on Oxford Street.
Overall we had a pleasant stay at Gloucester Place and we’d definitely stay there again if we go back to London. We can honestly recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank zwipsel1982

Reviewed 7 April 2012

The price is reasonable, and Hotel Location is great just 5 mins walk from oxfrod street, hotel staff is friendly, all together I enjoyed stayed at this Hotel...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed at this Hotel as we needed somewhere cheap near the US Embassy.

It's located 5 minutes walk from Oxford St and the hotel can also give you discount on a multi-storey car park which is about 10 buildings down (£21 for 24 hours which I didnt think was bad considering the location)

The room was very large with a double bed and two singles that were comfortable. It was very unattractive, with a poorly fitted kitchenette but every was clean. The room was also onto the road so a little noisey.

In short. it was clean, comfortable enough and had a good location so it served its purpose for our visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
An EasyToBook.com traveler
2880 DK
Reviewed 21 March 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed 18 March 2012

On arriving at the so called 3 star hotel, my partner and I were initially impressed with the location, as it is so close to many attractions such as Oxford St, Madame Tassauds, Hyde Park etc, but this was very short lived. We went to check-in at the basement reception and we were "greeted" by 2 glum faced receptionists who didn't even say hello. We were then taken to our room, which is where the nightmare began!

Firstly we entered a dingy and dark room and we were immediately appalled, considering we were charged £90 a night for a 2 day stay. The bed had no headboard, there were odd bits of carpet on the floor, there were 2 chairs which looked like they were pulled out of a skip, there was broken table, one of the knobs from the bedside draws was missing, curtains were very dusty which made my partner wheeze - with one of them hanging and in disrepair, the windows were very stiff to open, the sink plughole was brown and nasty looking and to top it off, there was a bacteria-infested old washing up sponge which we were supposed to wash stuff with!!

The bathroom was ok, but the taps were nasty looking which made me scared to even touch them! There were also two plastic cups which were stained and needed to be thrown away and I am surprised that the management had the audacity to think guests should use such nasty cups for brushing their teeth!

Back to them room. There were two drinking glasses, one of which had a stained line around it, which we had to wash before using, but definitely not with that disgusting looking sponge. This was unacceptable as you can buy a pack of 10 washing up sponges from Poundland!

We opened a cupboard underneath the sink in the room, where we found a Rentokill mousetrap, which didn't exactly put our minds at ease. Also, the noise level from the traffic on the main road was unsettling.

We telephoned reception and asked if we could change rooms, but as they were fully booked the staff member told us that he would have a word with the manager and hopefully change our room the next day, we therefore had to endure this ghastly room for a night.

The following day, we went to reception and asked again if we could change rooms. We were given the choice of two other rooms, one room was below the kitchen in the basement which had a repulsive smell of sewage, so we took the other option which was a family room with 2 single beds and a double bed. Although it was a little cramped, it was of a much better standard to the dump we stayed in on our first night; although it was very hot and had a large leaning picture on the wall!

The next morning I took a shower in a decent looking bathroom, which had a curtain rod for a light pull! It wasn't a plumbed in shower, but it was mixer tap shower, which wasn't working properly, and water drizzled from it creating a very disappointing shower experience. To top this off, the drainage wasn't working properly, and I took my shower in a bath filled with dirty water which would go down as it should, I honestly could not believe it!! Also, there was an old fashioned plastic bath mat in the bath, which was stained and obviously harbouring many germs, so I removed it before showering.

One consolation was that we were offered a free cooked breakfast so we could avoid the unappealing looking continental breakfast. However the disappointment continued when we sat at the breakfast table to find cob webs, yes cobwebs on the salt cellar and a plastic table cloth which was in need of a good clean!

Basically, this was the worst hotel I've ever had the misfortune to stay in and I feel that we were ripped off. Although the location is fantastic, with so much within its vicinity, this hotel was a total let down and put a serious dampener on our weekend trip to London.

Room Tip: Many more better hotels with much better rooms are available for the same price or a little more.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Missy W
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I am a very experienced European and US business traveler in my sales role for my company. Never before in my 20+ years of travel have I experienced something like this. My family, with 2 college aged daughters, stayed at this location for 7 nights in mid December of 2011. We had a En-suite room which was clean, but mediocre in terms of amenities (such as no safe) and decor. The breakfast was very acceptable for a European breakfast and the kitchen staff were extremely friendly and helpful. My general experience was a decent one, up to the point when there was a total breach in security. We came back to our room one night, to find the door Unlocked and OPEN.

Since all the rooms are basically right on the main street with no front desk, this is a huge problem. After the sickening feeling in my stomach and the panic to see if anything was stolen (since there is no safe, all our passports, money, cameras were all accessible in the wardrobe closet provided) I went to the front desk. As I mentioned, this desk is tucked away in the basement so that a real human does not greet individuals coming in and out of the front access doors to the street.

The night attendant told me that "this happens from time to time" and he was sorry that this had happened to us. Since my door had one of those self closing door hinges on it, I imagine this had happened numerous times and this was at least an attempt for this to solve their staff problems. Unfortunately the place is older and the mechanism just doesn't work. As you would expect, in later conversations with management, in full "CYA" mode, he told me that this never happens, was a one-off situation that has now been corrected with the staff and furthermore won't happen again. He also mentioned that I should feel secure in the knowledge that if my room had been ransacked, the next day that I would be spending at the police station sorting out the situation, would go smoother because, the authorities would at least have a picture of the masked thieves taking my property from the hotel's CCTV system. He didn't mention if the photo of the unidentifiable robbers helps you yet the following day, while at your embassy trying to get your families passports replaced. We were frightened by the situation and checked out the very next morning!

The on-site Gloucester Place check-in staff deferred any questions or help with this unacceptable situation, to management, which is not at this hotel. I left my email and mobile phone number and asked that the management call me while I was still in London. AFTER 2 WEEKS, we were home from our holiday and still no one had voluntarily called or wrote. Finally after 3 nagging emails to the front desk, the management finally got back to me, saying they were sorry, told me that the staffs actions were unacceptable, extremely regretful and embarrassing. They offered a discount voucher for 1/3, of one day's room rate for my next stay. Keeping in mind I don't travel to London, this is worthless. Additionally, I left after being scared on my first stay, why would I come back here again? I suggested a refund of several days of my stay with them and found out quickly that this place is all about bottom line money and not guest service, safety, security, or respect.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Dave P
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed at GPH during our visit to London in the first week of 2011 (my review is way past due to 2011 drastic events in Egypt!).
The GPH offered a great value for accommodations on the door steps of the Marple Arch end of Oxford Street. We stayed at the ground level room, which was decently sized (by London standards) and the heating was perfect, room was spotlessly clean and breakfast was good. The hotel is about 200 meters away from Oxford Street and Marble Arch tube station. Perfect choice for London shopping and site seeing.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family