“No elevators!”

Ranked #704 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“No elevators!”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Me and my family wanted to stay in an inn something like this during our trip this year. We came all the way from Malaysia carrying heavy large luggages. There are actually a few advantages of staying in this hotel other than its value for money. My mum is a shopaholic, so she could shop in Oxford Street all day long. This hotel is quite near to infamous landmarks such has Hyde Park, Regent's Park and Madame Tussaud's. Soho and London's Chinatown is not far off this hotel, but hailing a taxi may be required if you wish to head to these wacky locations of London.

However, our room was located at the highest floor, so carrying our luggages up to our rooms was a terrible experience. The flight of stairs are narrow and not even a single elevator is present. Thank God the receptionist helped us immediately, but still all of us had to carry something heavy......

The same breakfast buffet was served daily during our stay here for 4 nights. I got bored after my last meal in this hotel.

I love the hotel room, maybe due to its old fashioned design. WIFI was available 24/7 and the bed was super comfortable. Our room was quiet all the time and there were no noises or disturbances at night because the room was facing the backyard. Sleeping soundly is the reward you shall get then!

Room Tip: Oh yeah please pick a room facing the backyard which is the quietest region around the hotel. If you...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

If your expecting a business class hotel.... AVOID. This is a converted pair of houses thats been done on the cheap. Noise from upstairs next door and outside have meant no sleep.

Wimbledon fever means all hotels booked so this was 200 quid a night !

• Stayed June 2013

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Ruislip, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My husband and I both work in London but live outside London. We decided to stay here as we had friends visiting and didn't want to go back and forth, and we wanted to do things with them in the evenings. We stayed here as it was near to where they were staying. I was disappointed based on the cost of this room when compared with other places I stayed at.

The bad stuff: The room had a shared restroom, which I wasn't expecting. The second night, the bathroom was left in a very poor state by the other room. However, the main issue experienced was that the room was very uncomfortable (bed was too stiff) and very 'humid', even after having the windows opened as far as they would go, despite this as the noise on the street came in. The room faced the busy street.

The good stuff: Breakfast was ok, and the staff seemed friendly enough.

2 Thank rebeljenn
Singapore
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This hotel is located along a street (Gloucester Place) which is within 15-min walking distance from Marble Arch station and Baker Street Station. When we arrived on the first day, we alighted at Marble Arch, and nearly killed ourselves and our luggage bag wheels on the cobbled streets and stairs. When we left, we were more heavily laden (with shopping! :>) and took a very slow walk to Baker Street Station instead. The terrain is way smoother, less traffic junctions to negotiate, and lesser stairs. Importantly, the stairs all headed downwards so no heavy lifting needed.

We stayed at Room 10, a double superior room. We stayed for 4 nights, left for Bath, and returned for another 3 nights at the same room. Expect a no-frills B&B - the shower has a nasty habit of suddenly turning waaaay hot or waaaaay cold in the middle of your shower routine. I could feel the springs in the mattress of our bed, the air conditioning unit is a portable one with an ugly large plastic pipe you have to aim out of the window, and don't get me started about how badly the place needs new furniture. The sofa in the bedroom looked absolutely gorgeous with the bay windows on their website, but when I sat on it, it was very old and soft and i could feel the wooden frame underneath the fabric. The dresser chair was a joke of a lumpy thing. On our second stay, one of the remote control was missing (later found by the receptionist behind the dresser), and the other had no battery cover. There was also a coffee or tea cup stain on top of the fridge. And be prepared to pay 4 pounds for a large luggage bag, or 2 pounds for a small luggage bag should you wish to store anything with them while you head out of London. I didn't really liked this bit, but just paid anyway since I have managed my own expectations of what is included in this B&B. The perk was a larger room, which was a luxury so that we could at least have a decent evening in the hotel room watching telly or just chilling since it rained quite a bit when we were there.

I paid in full by cash for my stay to get discounts off my stay, and was very, very glad I kept my receipts. When I returned for the second half of my stay, the receptionist could not find records of my payment which was in cash. I said that I paid in full, plus paid extra 2 pounds per day to store a small duffel bag in their storeroom. Thank goodness the staff member whom I paid the money to was on duty that day too, and he started looking uncomfortable and said that yes, he remembered the transaction vaguely. I then produced the receipt, in his handwriting, which of course saved me alot of frustration and potential dispute. The staff said that he took the money and forgot to record it on his end in the books. I think this is a process gap and needs to be addressed. But meanwhile, customers can be smart too and hang on to receipts.

Breakfast is the usual fare, which is ok. Croissant, toast, cheese, eggs, yoghurt, fruits, juices and coffee/tea. Meat is in the form of ham and salami for your bread. We usually ate as much as we could, and then have a light lunch and dinner since London can be expensive!!

Along the same street, I counted 6 B&Bs in total, with many of them located closer to the start or end of the street so that its closer to Marble Arch or Baker Street station. In fact, I recommend anyone who is doing advanced planning to consider accommodation at the popular intersection tube stations. Unless you are going to spend heaps of time on the red Central line, visiting Oxford Street, Hyde Park Notting Hill and the like, you will find that being located at Marble Arch can mean that you have to do quite a few train changes. It was nice to be able to choose between Baker Street station or Marble Arch to alight, but it can be annoying to switch many times when going to other places such as South Bank or Greenwich.

1 Thank kokonuk
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Trying to find an affordable place to stay in London can be a challenge, but the Gloucester Place Hotel is one that is easy to recommend. First, it is just a couple blocks north of Oxford Street at Marble Arch. Very easy to get around town and to Paddington for transfers to Heathrow. Second, the price was very reasonable compared to other chain hotels in that area, most of which were three or four times more costly. The room was very clean and comfortable with nice size bathroom and shower. The staff was very friendly and they offer free breakfast, which was not the greatest but it did do the trick as a time saver getting out in the morning.

The room included tea and coffee facilities, flat screen digital TV, refrigerator, and air conditioning. Mind you, it is not a Marriott or Hyatt and the hotel is very small, but you will pay 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of the larger chain hotels. The only drawback to this property is there is no lift and I was on the 4th floor, so I would recommend trying for a room on the lower levels. My booking was last minute and I did not have that choice, but I would stay here again even given the lack of lift.

Room Tip: Ask for room on lower floors as there is no lift.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2013

If you have a hard time going up a stairs or planning to bringa medium to large sized luggage, I will not recommend this hotel to you. Their stairs are narrow and steep. But if you're a light packer, this hotel is ok.

My room was #32 and it was huge for me being alone. It can accommodate 4 people. The floor was squeaky and if somebody is walking from the other room, the bed vibrates. The aircon is not approriate for the room size and no electrical plug available near the window for the a/c. This is very important as the heat from the compressor of a/c unit has to be directed out of the window. If not, the room won't be ventilated. I ended up not using the a/c and just opened the window. So with this, I can hear noises from outside.

Hotel staff were not as warm but what do you expect?

Breakfast was fine as they served the usual bread, eggs, ham, cheese, cornflakes, milk, coffee and juices.

This hotel is ok for the price they charge.

• Stayed June 2013
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Literally just stayed here last night and cannot really fault the place. Location is awesome, clean tidy and very spacious room and fantastic value for money. I paid about £60 and was in a room that had 2 double beds and a single. Decent size bath, decent size tv, fridge, coffee/tea and biscuits plus breakfast is included in the price. I was leaving before the set breakfast time but had a continental breakfast delivered to my door (on the very top floor) at 6am which was a big help. Ive stayed in a lot of hotels and quite a few that were much more expensive yet this was everything i needed. I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Was at the very top of the building next door to the main hotel but actually loved the room. (32)