“Horrible rooms, dishonest staff” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westminster House Hotel

Westminster House Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Westminster House Hotel
Ranked #971 of 1,089 Hotels in London
spain
“Horrible rooms, dishonest staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

Horrible rooms and disgraceful staff. As a couple, we booked a twin room but on arrival were told that they only had two single rooms, each with only a single bed and on separate floors. We were told that if we didn\'t like it, we \'could leave, it\'s not our problem'. This was at 11:30pm, as our flight was late, and it was quite obvious they knew we wouldn\'t have much of an option at that hour. But, after seeing that the area had loads of hotels, we decided we preferred to share a room together, as you would, and left. But then we were charged for the night!!!!!!!!!!!
The hotel didn\'t provide the room I booked and then had the cheek to charge me anyway! Now, after disputing with hostelworld, they have lied and said they did provide it.
Even without this disgusting experience,which obviously shows they care more about £54 than customers, I would warn you against the hotel. The two rooms we were given, #5 and #7, were tiny, which they admit to, but they don\'t mention the mould, the smell and the dirty bed sheets do they? Yes, the location is awesome, but, lucky for us at midnight, there are loads of hotels on the same street. In fact we were taken in by a lovely South African guy at the Harcourt Hotel - well recommended.
As for this hotel, it is a horrible looking place and the staff and owners have shown that they will rip anyone off given half a chance. There are loads of lovely hotels on the same street & plenty in London. Advise you stay well clear of this greedy, dishonest, ripoff & hideous hotel.

• Liked — Not a thing - it's left such a bad taste in my mouth
  • Disliked — Not being given the room I booked, then being charged anyway! The staff are clearly dishonest & more hungry for money than providing people with a decent service. Rooms looked disgusting anyway!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ockershell

canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

We arrived very tired and with much trepidation after reviewing many,many hotels in this district.We were very pleasantly surprised.The hotel was clean,quiet,comfortable,cute and above all,in a perfect location.Johnny and the staff were very accommodating.
We'll definitely stay here again.
M&P

• Liked — Clean,quiet,comfortable
  • Disliked — Smaller than we're used to but normal for London
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2008

The best thing about the place is its location- its very central, but the room was smaller than my bathroom, and my bathroom is tiny. It was like a cupboard. The door had a simple Yale lock which wasn't very secure, and I had my room robbed.

The owner was somewhat sympathetic, but offered no compensation, pointing out that there was a notice in the lobby about securing items with reception. The net result was that I ended up staying in most of the last day of my short holiday, and leaving the hotel & London early - glad to be going home.

At £45.00 a night its a cheap deal for London I suppose, but I can't help thinking that there are far better places to stay - my experience of theft ruined my holiday , and I think I would fork out a little more cash to have a room that is wider than the width of my outstretched hands !

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank horusd

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2008

I only stayed here for two nights because they were full for one of the nights of my trip, but I wish I had stayed the whole time. Although they accidentally gave us twin beds rather than a double, the rest of the stay was perfect. We are in college and are pretty easy to please, but I can honestly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for somewhere quiet, simple, and comfortable. The hotel is in a great upper class part of town, and we felt very safe walking back late at night. Our room was decorated in shabby chic fashion. We had a sink and a mirror in the room, but a shared bathroom down the stairs. My other hotel (Eaton House) had a private bathroom which was much smaller and dirtier than the nice big roomy shared bathroom here. The water was always hot and had plenty of pressure. They have hairdryers for hire which is a big plus. They leave croissants and tea in the room so you can eat whenever you want to in the morning. The staff is very kind and helpful, and I think the owner lives in the basement ( I knocked on the office door at 8pm for a hairdryer and he came out in his robe and was so nice to me!). There isn't an elevator, but the stairs aren't too treacherous. When you check in, you get a key to the front door (which is locked all the time), so you can come and go as you please...no curfew! The C1 bus stop is right down the street, and it takes you to the Sloane Square tube stop. The C1 only runs every 10-12 minutes though, so I usually just walked to the tube myself...about 7-8 minutes. This hotel is a great value for the traveler on a budget, especially if you are still young and not expecting 5 star quality for 65 pounds a night. I booked on hostelworld.com and found my rate there.

• Liked — Location, staff, great room, clean, breakfast, hairdryer
  • Disliked — Squeaky floors
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PrincessJessieBear
sicily
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2008

We walked around the entire area and viewed numerous hotels. This hotel was by far the cleanest and most comfortable we had been in. The proprietor was extremely nice and really went out of his way to make sure our stay was pleasureable. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is affordable, comfortable, clean, and the location is excellent.

Stayed May 2007
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2007

Despite the geniune hospitality of the owner, Glyn, I can't reccomend this hotel. I am NOT picky when it comes to hotels, I just want a cheap, safe clean place to crash for a few hours, that's why I picked this one. Close to Victoria train station, and cheap as far as London goes. We had the family room on the ground floor for the 4 of us, my wife a nd 2 teen girls. It was a dingy, dirty little box of a room. For me the worst part was the bed, it was like sleeping on a pile of stones. I became intimately familiar with every coil in the mattress, all 12 of them. Couldn't sleep at all. I can't recommend the place place. The owner, Glyn, was very nice and gracious, but the room just didn't meet, even my low standards.

• Liked — the owner was very nice
  • Disliked — the bed was horrible
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Simbot
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2006

Simple with no frills, but an absolutely wonderful experience. Left our bags with them since we arrived about 2 hours early.. retrieved them when we returned. They even kept our excess bags when we short-jaunted to Scotland (we were returning to Westminster after the brief trip). The food is simple but delicious. I have stayed 4 times with this establishment and have no hesitation in recommending it.

By the way, aside from the phenomenal access to Victoria Station which will get you ANYWHERE, the Ebury Bar is just a stones throw (and across the street) is a world-class food establishment.. informal and with great service.

• Liked — Friendly, helpful staff, cleanliness, quality of food (breakfast), price for the location (the best!)
  • Tips/Secrets — If you can't take stairs, book the ground floor room(s) --no elevator. But they help with luggage.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends