“It's good but it smells a bit......”

Comfort Inn and Suites King's Cross / St. Pancras
Ranked #637 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“It's good but it smells a bit......”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is an ideally situated place to stay if you want to guarantee getting to St Pancras for a morning train. The space is extremely well thought out, with breakfast in the basement as there are no real views to speak of.
The staff are great, very helpful and efficient and multi lingual. We were lucky to have a quiet room, with a very comfy bed, but the smell of the plug in airfreshener, used to counteract the horrific smell of damp, was so overpowering we removed it, opting to cope with the smell of natural damp in preference to the smell of chemically produced clean air.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn and Suites King's Cross / St. Pancras, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear McLean,

We’re really happy your visit turned into a memorable experience except for the air- freshener incident. All the unnecessary hiccups have been ironed-out. We thank you for staying with us. We hope you’ll visit us again!

Abida.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was not expecting much based on other peoples reviews and was really dreading the stay there but I must say it was actually a really good stay at the Comfort Inn. less than 5 minutes walk from the station, very easy too!

when we checked in, it was an easy and quick process and the guy mentioned that we would be in one of the new refurbished rooms. When he said it was in the basement we did not hold our breath but walking into suite 1 which is just by the kitchen we were both pleasantly surprised. It was big, clean, spacious and new! there were 2 single bed and a big double bed. very comfortable and very clean beds. we could tell that it was recently refurbished. Hope they do that to all of the rooms.

The room had a little kitchenette, the cupboards came with ironing board and an iron. Most hotels you have to request this.

The bathroom is small but well equipped, after showering the floors were a bit flooded (something they need to look at).

Overall I was very pleasantly surprised with my stay here and if were to ever need to stay near Kings Cross or St Pancras, I will defintiely be staying here.

Continental breakfast was served the next day but we did not have of it. There was toast, bread, cereals, fruit, cheese and boiled eggs and tea and coffee.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn and Suites King's Cross / St. Pancras, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Rayzil,

Thank you for such a lovely and detailed account of your experience with us.

It was nice to know how much you appreciated your visit. Feedback like yours make us feel content about our performance.

I have passed on your comments to rest of the team members. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

Paisley, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I was dreading staying at this hotel after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, but I had paid £170 for a family room before I read them and had no other option but to stay. I was pleasantly surprised with our accommodation.
I had requested an early check in but when I got to the hotel at 11am the room wasnt ready yet. The reception staff were not overly friendly but let us use their locked luggage "cupboard" I asked if I could possibly not have a basement room (reviews were awful regarding these rooms) and when we returned a few hours later they had honoured the request.
Our room was spotless, a good size, and very quiet considering we faced a road. We had a flat screen TV, 4 large comfortable clean beds and a good working shower. There were also self catering facilities which we didn't use.
Breakfast was in the newly decorated small contemporary breakfast room which was again, spotless. One of the walls is a huge quirky cartoon map of London which was a great source of interest/amusement while we were eating! There were no staff in the room while we were there but there were lots of options to choose from....plenty of fruit, pastries, jams, breads and cereals as well as a large selection of hot and cold drinks. My only gripe is that it would have been nice to have had some hot breakfast items as well, especially at the price we paid for 1 night.
Again, we were allowed to leave our luggage in the cupboard the following day also.
The location is great, a stones throw from Kings Cross station and underground and a 5/10 walk from Euston Station.
The staff could be doing with a few lessons in smiling, but excusing this, I would recommend the hotel (as long as you ask to not get a basement room)

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Maureen,

Thank you for a great review. I'm overwhelmed to know you enjoyed your stay with us.

The check-in time is 2 pm. The rooms are serviced between 11 am (Check-out time) until 2 pm. And for early arrivals we have a luggage room free of cost.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have passed on your comments to rest of the team members.

Hope to have a reunion again in future.
London
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Recently booked for stay. Walked in and had to walk straight back out once I had found somewhere else to stay. No alternative room available. Room was unclean and mouldy. Have been told by the hotel this was caused by the London humidity! What a joke. It was small and very basic. The 4 star rating is their own and false advertising. Believe the reviews. Staff very unhelpful, unusual for US franchise. Would not recommend this to anyone. Have been offered part refund which I found insulting and has since lapsed. Very unhappy. Will try to share the photos.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snowdiver74
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn and Suites King's Cross / St. Pancras, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We were very disappointed to hear of the situation you mentioned.

All our rooms are of standard European size. To avoid any high/low expectations we’ve uploaded photos on our website and all the other important social media channels. There is a constant effort put in to the refurbishment of the hotel interior to make it spacious, clean and up to date. And we make sure our online presence reflects the reality.

After communicating with the team members we realized there was no record of any of your concerns brought to our attention. There may be a misunderstanding from our side. So we’ve dropped you an email through the internal messaging system to find out more about your stay.

Please be assured that your comments have been passed on to the relevant department for further follow up action needed.

Abida.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Flintshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Having toured Central Europe, with faultless hotels staffed by "local" people, I needed to overnight in London. What an embarrassment this place is! Staffed by Eastern Europeans who do an excellent job with a very poor product. It looks like a converted mews or terrace from outside and that's the end of the charm bit. After check-in, every door requires the swipe card for security, which when you have luggage in very narrow, winding corridors, with steps up and down and multiple fire-doors, presents challenges. The "double" room with 4 feet bed and little space is something else. Do not open the windows for security reasons so the inefficient air-con: is your last resort but airlessness/stuffiness wins out. Three steps up to the en-suite, which is exciting in the middle of the night. The 4 feet shower tray, shower and toilet are good but then, there's the sink. Behind the door, in an alcove is a small version of a Belfast sink but to stand at it you are in a 15 inches gap between a wall and a pillar. With my arms tight at my sides, I am 15 inches across the shoulders so I couldn't even clean my teeth at the sink. You don't feel alone, the bathroom fan rattles on for Britain for ever. Continental Breakfast is available in the basement - a soulless room, where, again, the Eastern European lass battles valiantly to keep up buffet stock, clean tables and toast bread. But it's not a room that you want to be in. We chose to sit in Euston Station for a couple of hours rather than this tawdry room, which indicates something. Be warned and avoid at all costs.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ian654
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn and Suites King's Cross / St. Pancras, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Ian,

Thank you for a detailed review on your recent stay with us.

The hotel offers 24/7 reception service for guest assistance and security reasons. Hence there are only two doors in the hotel that require a swipe card, guest room and the luggage room.

All the single and double beds and are of standard European size. Please keep in mind that the rooms are considered to be smaller in size in London as compared to other countries.

I’m pleased to inform you that the breakfast room has recently been refurbished. It’s designed with our guest’s convenience in mind. Guest’s feedback assures us that we’ve done a great job here. We’ll soon be uploading new pictures on the social media and review sites.

Your feedback is very important to us and we apologise if you’ve received any inconvenience.
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel last minute before reading the reviews (which is something I don't normally do). After I booked and then got around to reading them I was very worried about where I would be staying the night. On entering the hotel I was happy with my booking. Friendly, helpful man on the desk, and we were amazed that our last minute request of a quiet room on a high floor was granted.

I can only base my review on our stay, and have marked as excellent as I cannot find anything to mark it down. I am quite fussy and have become very picking over years of staying in hotels and I like standards to be high. We were given suite 15 top floor. The lift takes you up to floor 2 and you have to walk up to the next floor. We opened the door to a double bedded room (2 beds) with a small kitchen/ dining area and shower room. A/C, tea and coffee and even a microwave and fridge! It was clean, tastefully decorated and nothing to complain about. Considering we are in London we had all the windows open and we slept through the night with no noise to complain about.

Breakfast was in the newly decorated breakfast room and although somewhat small it gave you everything you needed to start the day. How many other London hotels offer a breakfast these days within the price ?

Overall I am happy with my stay, would book to stay again and wouldn't be worried about recommending it to others.

This review is based on my stay, I cannot comment on the "basement" suites & I am sure if there are problems with those rooms the management will sort them to keep their 4* rating.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie S
Dear Julie,

Thank you for writing a lovely review on your recent stay with us.

It’s gratifying to read we have exceeded your expectations and delighted that you have enjoyed the facilities and services we have to offer. We sincerely hope you will come and visit us again in not too distant future.

Thank you again for recommending us.
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

The breakfast was a bag of three cheap breads and a carton of milk, with a message saying that the restaurant is closed. Bathroom has only shampoo with a small tilted glass shelf available for putting personal items. Even the towel is put on bed, giving a feel of youth hostel. The counter is tended by a chubby curt guy from middle east, who was far away from friendly. I definitely would choose other cleaner hotels with better amenities next time.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ester3577
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn and Suites King's Cross / St. Pancras, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We have made sure our guests are informed through the hotel website and social media channels regarding the current refurbishments. Our complimentary continental breakfast is nowadays served in the rooms. The bathroom gel is 2-in-1, shampoo plus shower gel. A set of towels are provided in bathrooms and also in the rooms for your extra convenience.

Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction towards our front desk service. Please accept our apologies.
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.