“Great location and clean but very depressing”
Review of Avoca House Hotel

Avoca House Hotel
Ranked #151 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I chose this property for the location and cost and although the rooms were clean the property is very shabby, worn and depressing. I was expecting a budget property but the paint was peeling off the walls and the carpets were torn and it doesn't take much to put a coat of paint on to freshen things up and repair the carpeting. It just made me feel depressed going there. If you ujst want a clean place to sleep in a good location and cheap this fits the bill. But I personally don't like to feel that I have to escape my hotel room and be gone all day. I like having a comfy and cheery place to relax in between sightseeing. It just wasn't a place that I wanted to come back to to relax and I felt skeevy staying there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Wandalust4ever
There are newer reviews for Avoca House Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2011

We have stayed at many hotels over the years, often luxury ones with impeccable details and fantastic designs.

Avoca House was our choice as we had a tour of the Lords Cricket Ground scheduled for the next day. The room we had was spacious and pretty, the breakfast is good and the distance to the gorund is hardly a 10 min. drive. The garden may be small, but it’s a relaxing and quiet place.

Not many options for food, but the rooms are spacious with huge full length windows. The caretaker is a very pleasant man and is ready to help and make your stay comfortable.

Avoca House is a place you would definitely come back to and recommend to your friends. Thank you very much for making our stay so pleasant!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2011

This 'No Frills' place is awesome and a true find for anyone on a budget who is looking for a great, peaceful place to stay in a nice area of London; this is my second visit and will not be my last .... that's for sure! This place has really friendly, polite staff and provides everything you need for a clean, comfortable and enjoyable stay, despite being old fashioned. I like privacy and peace when I go away, this is my uppermost requirement; the AHH offers both and is exceptional value for money at £49 per night. I love this place and I'm really looking forward to my next visit, its a pleasure to stay with these people ...... thanks once again guys!

Room Tip: Ground floor is good for me being disabled as there is no lift!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank michellejoanne48
Reviewed 22 July 2011

This small house hotel suits me and my flexbility....As if I am at home ... I arrived on Satuarday earlier than the check in time to find a room ready after a long journey. Just filled a form and direct to the room. I was given the code for the internet, which was very helpful for me, as without that it would be difficult. I use it for emails and communication The instructions for the use of the facility were clear when I booked over the phone from New York . A hotel attendant with the Name Rohan was elaborative and clearly informed me over the phone ahead of time of all my needs and the where abouts of resturants, stations...etc I do not have to take a taxi from the Heathrow as told about the underground services to Swiss Cottage. Google maps and earth did the rest.
My brother was astonished to discover that I know all of the Belsize resturants Cafes and areas of interest. The hotel is quiet. I usually leave in the morning and come at 5 Then again from 7 to midnight. I recomend this hotel for one who is independent and want to have fun in the city. Just remember to buy a transportation card for the period you are staying and use trains buses ...etc

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank TIJARHURA
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Avoca House is a no frills B&B at a very competitive price in a nice area. Close to the underground, the sights are a few stops away except for the Freud museum which is nearby and well worth seeing. Staff are friendly and helpful. We had some items purchased which were not suitable for hand luggage and the staff very kindly offered to post them to us (it being a bank holiday weekend). Previous reviews were accurate in our experience. I find that spending a lot on accommodation in London is wasted, given the time spent in the room. Perfect for a weekend.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I spent a lot of time looking at London lodgings, and Avoca House Hotel was the best accommodations in central London (zone 2) near two tube stations and two tube lines for around 70 pounds for a double. The two nearby stations and two lines were really helpful because of the tube upgrades for the Olympics that’s causing a lot of tube closures.

The rooms I stayed in (I stayed there on two occasions) are much larger than comparably priced rooms. Other hotels had claustrophobically small rooms where one would be tripping over one’s luggage, but Avoca House Hotel had rooms that were big enough for two armchairs and a table as well as a desk.

The common areas are worn, but the rooms are pleasantly furnished, quiet and had nice views. The showers worked fine, although if the shower head is adjusted up or down, the shower hose may get a kink that is easily fixed. My back is fussy, but turning the mattress seemed to solve the problem. My partner was fine in the beds. The rooms were nicely heated with radiators so I could open the windows and still be warm. The radiators were also useful for drying my laundry. The staff was eager to help and very nice. They left the kitchen and dining room open, so we used the refrigerator with their permission and used the dining room to hang out in when one of us was sleeping or to microwave our leftovers.

The neighborhood is lovely with other buildings of the same type as the hotel or red brick amongst leafy trees. Charming Belsize Village is an easy walk away. Finchley Road is more utilitarian, but is two blocks away with great Indian and Turkish restaurants, supermarket, Internet café, etc. I recommend the vegetable biriyani for dinner at Doon Valley.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Clean and very quiet in a nice neighbourhood, very conveniently located (close to Jubilee line, Northern line and Metropolitan line), friendly staff, basic but abundant breakfast. No AC and no lift. Very good for a short stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple