“Filthy and very rude staff”
Review of Bakers Hotel

Bakers Hotel
Ranked #976 of 1,068 Hotels in London
UK
“Filthy and very rude staff”
Reviewed 10 August 2009

That's one of the worst accommodation I've ever had. I arrived at midnight and the reception guy yelled at us to let him sleep and not to ask so many questions about the restrooms, towels, soap and shampoo. The breakfast was uneatable and the reception guy which was the "chef" as well was cleaning the tables and washing his hair in the same time. It was unbelivable. We've stayed for three nights, the sheets were never changed and we hardly had some soap for the bathroom and no shampoo at all. I strongly wouldn't recommend this "hotel". Any hostel I've been so far has millions better services than Bakers.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jinx_san

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
ellesmee port
Reviewed 1 August 2009

We stayed in room 3- only just about fitted two single beds in there. Website was not clear that there was communal bathrooms, which had other guests wet towels on the floor, mould on the silicone in the shower, no toilet roll in the bathroom. No towels provided, had to ask for one,when beds were made no clean towels were provided the wets ones were folded onto the bed,when we asked for a clean one we were told we only get one per person per stay and if we wanted another one we would have topay £1 each!!! Ploystyrene cups in room. Had avery bad odour as you walked into the hotel of an evening.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 15 May 2009

We had room no.3 thats the first floor.

Negative:
The room is very small, fits 2 beds and a luggage, and some little space of standing.
Its dirty, you'll see some dirts on the closet, hair on the beds, and dirty tea-bags with nothing covering it, cause they are for free.
The bathroom/wc, its on the floor under, and you have to share it with other people.

Positive:
Bakers hotel is near Victoria station, about 5min of walking.

We only went for a short trip,so we just needed a place to sleep.
So you get what you pay, no 5 star hotel.
Wondering if they even change the bed-clothing, or just maked the bed so it seemed to be nice.
When you pay cash, get the receipt, or they will not give you unless you ask for it.
The breakfast, I didnt wanted to see it...

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I recently stayed at the Bakers Hotel with my girlfriend for one night. Our stay was fine! I've read some horror stories from here but our stay was adequate, cheap and friendly enough. The room was clean and pretty spacious, and we only paid £30 for a night there - the cheapest we could find around Victoria. The location was excellent, only a 5 minute walk away from the bus and coach station. I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 10 January 2009

If you go in winter avoid this place. There is absolutely no heating - not in the rooms, not in the shared bathroom. It is freezing cold. I cannot imagine that this is legal in the UK.

This is not a budget hotel - it is like spending the night in the open, like a hobo.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — the hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 2 November 2008

On the positive side, its located near a tube, is in a safe area and the breakfast is decent. That said, the hotel itself leaves something to be desired. The rooms are very small and kind of dirty. The hot water is only on at certain times in the morning and night. And when my husband and I arrived in the afternoon after a ten hour flight, I was pretty ticked off because all I wanted was a shower. The room was cheap so I wasn't expecting it to be the Ritz, but it was a bit of a disappointment. If you need a cheap place, Bakers Hotel is adequate.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 October 2008

my husband and i had only one night in london as a layover between flights so all we wanted was a basic inexpensive hotel that was convenient to get to. i booked about 3 weeks in advance but found that most hotels in the Victoria Station area were already booked. Bakers hotel was the least expensive one I could find that was open. The location is excellent. And easy walk from Victoria station. The neighborhood is very nice, very clean and felt safe. Not what you would usually expect near a major train-bus station.
the hotel was indeed basic. The best thing was the staff was very friendly. The worst thing was that it was not very clean. Especially the bathrooms, which were just not clean. We had a room in the basement. Smelled of heating gas. Room had a small sink. Bathrooms are on the first and second floor. They do not have hot water until 6pm. In bedroom the top blanket was not very clean but sheets seemed okay once I took that off.
FOr the price I know that I can not expect much and it was not terrible. But I do think that next time I am in london I will try to find somewhere else.
(it was nice that they allowed us to put our bags at the hotel prior to check in time. I know some other budget hotels charge extra for this. FOr example, easyhotel wanted to charge us 5 pounds per bag to leave luggage. Plus easyhotel also charged extra for towels and use of TV. This was all included at Bakers Hotel)

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Bathrooms not clean
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple