Budget Guest House
US$151
US$115
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 December 2012

... (they probably left under protest long ago).

- Have you ever wanted to sleep on the set of a movie - namely 'Saw' or 'Hostel'?

- Do you turn your central heating up to max, even during a heatwave?

- Do you enjoy playing the popular family game of ‘Guess the bodily fluid on the bed sheet’?

- Do you hate having your own personal toilet and shower facilities?

- Do you enjoy dry retching at the first sight of a communal shower room?

- Do you only need 1-2 hours sleep per night (if you’re lucky)?

- Have you made your peace with your loved ones and the lord almighty?

- Do you like going to sleep not knowing if you’ll wake up chained to the wall, and your only chance of escape is a rusty saw that will *just about* cut through human flesh and bone?

If the answer is ‘yes’ then the Budget Guest House at 23 Swinton Street, London is for you.
I’ve lived in some pretty awful places in my time so my expectations were already around the ‘well, if there’s not a human turd under my pillow, I’ll be fine’ mark.

Thankfully, there wasn’t a human turd and the pillow was reasonably clean (I still saturated it with enough fabric freshener to give myself second degree chemical burns though). Unfortunately, the rest of the room/guest house has been, at some point, subject to an out-of-hand defication party or two. And, judging by the dark brown/red stain on the net curtain, looks like someone had blown their brains out (to be honest, if I had to stay there for another night, I might have popped into King’s Cross to buy a gun myself).

After a l-o-n-g and hot day in London I was covered in a film of sweat and grime. Oh the thought of stepping into a shower to wash the day away seemed like my idea of heaven. Unfortunately the shower in the Budget Guest House was closer to hell. If anything the shower would have made me dirtier still.

So yeah… my recommendation is that, if every other hotel, B&B, YMCA, homeless shelter is fully booked… sleep rough. Either that or spend the night walking up and down the majestic and beautiful River Thames. Anywhere but this truly awful and heartbreakingly depressing place.

But, if you're completely devoid of any common sense and dignity, and decide to stay here and they hand you a key with the room number ‘B2′… run. Run like you've never run before.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Duncan M
Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

Before I start. DO-NOT-STAY-HERE.
Before AND upon arrival I asked if there was parking by the hotel, the moron in reception says yes. One guess what I had on my car windscreen in the morning. Yep you guessed it, an £80 parking fine. Heating in the room was constantly on so I was sweating the whole night, the floors were manky the windows do not close and there is ONE bath room between ELEVEN rooms. (See picture) trains stormed past my window every 10 seconds, when I booked it I thought £30 was a bargain but I'd now rather walk the streets and get stabbed.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Rosso009
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here one night. We picked this place because it was cheap and close to Kings Cross / St Pancras. The room was basic, had a sink, TV (not working), tea, coffee and a shared bathroom. Overall the room and bathroom were clean but in need of redecorating. Ok if you are on a budget, not too fussy and want the central location.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We were going to see the London dungeons on our trip, we did not have to as we were already staying there!

From the moment we arrived i new there was something not quite normal here.
Reception was abandoned on arrival, no bell to ring, no note to say 'back in 5'...nothing. After standing like a plum for 20min in reception (that smelt like a sweaty biffa bin) i decided to go and find a member of staff. On the top floor i found a young man who spoke broken English, i tried to explain who i was and needed to check in...30min later i was in reception with this boy filling in all the paper work that he had to do! i even wrote out my own receipt !
When we got into our room (please see pictures) we had a kettle that had what looked like plaque inside off it...loads of tea and coffee.....but NO cups ! The TV control was clean and had batteries.....but NO TV!!!! The bed sheets had not seen a washing machine in at least 5years !!! At one point in time a rather large food and coffee fight happened, i don't know who won but the walls documented the battle and carried the scars!!! One good point about this hell hole is that if you are a train spotter look out the window and you will see,feel one every 3min.....don't stick your head out the window because you may loose it!!! The hotel is pretty cool...not cool cool but freezing!!!! All fire points and info on walls were painted over in a great off yellow colour. !!!!!!Oh and one last thing, if you do not value your life and you do end up here,please take your own loo roll,unless you are used to using a watering can to wash your bottom.....i ain't jokeing !!!!!!!!!!! Please take a look at our pics...its worth a giggle. Sleep tight!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank VendyT T
Reviewed 22 October 2012

this hotel is the most vile place i have ever seen (put it this way the homeless have it better sleeping out in the parks, even the jews had it better in the nazi gas chambers) they should never be able to let people stay in that dump, the rooms are nasty the beds are broken the curtains ripped, the bathrooms are vile i didnt even shower while i was there because i was to scared i might catch something, and it is right above the entrance to a railway station that has trains coming through every 2 minutes. if you do want to book do it but give the key to the homeless and take his park bench

Room Tip: sleep on a park bench
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business