“Budget hotel with top quality luxury”
Review of Hotel Melville

Hotel Melville
Ranked #826 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I have been staying in this hotel several times because of the friendly staff that will go out of their way to help and the perfect location for the whole of London but on my arrival this time I was in for a shock as it has had a refurb and it looks amazing, I was shocked and in awe of the quality of this hotel and the reasonable price, the same friendly staff, same warm welcome and brand new everything else. See the photo's and you will not find a better hotel at the same price in the whole of London. Rooms are clean and comfortable. A 5 star rating for a budget hotel in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Easy access to train stations 5 minute walk to Euston, 2 minute walk to Kings Cross, St Pancras International so you can come from anywhere and be in your hotel in minutes, perfect.

Room Tip: All rooms and comfortable and clean at great rates.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Melville

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Booked the Melville Hotel but was put in the Excelsior next door. My room was on the 3rd floor up narrow stairs and I was glad my suitcase was small and I'm fit.

Any room under £100 per night in London is going to be small and this room was but it had a comfortable bed, TV.

Shower room was compact but was very clean. Shower was not particularly powerful but there was plenty of hot water.

Housekeeping was not up to scratch.: dirty glass, dirty armchair, broken clock radio and very dirty amenities tray.

WiFi on the 3rd floor was intermittent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thanks for your review

We have attended to all issues ; and are really focused on providing spotless accomodation at an affordable rate.

If there is anything that requires attention please tell us immediately so we can put it right for you

Many thanks

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I've stayed here a few times on both business and short leisure trips, and it's a reasonably priced option right in the middle of London within easy walking distance of both Kings Cross and Euston. The rooms aren't huge but are clean and modern, with comfortable beds. It is part of a group of hotels around the same square, and there are some shared facilities. Slight drawback in that there is no lift and the stairs can be narrow, but I have never had a problem with this. When I was there on business and running around London on a tight schedule the manager was very helpful in sorting out some additional time before I had to checkout so I could leave my luggage. If I need to stay in London for a night or two, would definitely stay here again. In my experience, you won't find much better for the price in the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We were assigned a basement room, which looked out onto a brick wall. The room had recently been refurbished and standard of furnishings and decorating was good - excellent shower room. However, the room was very hot and noisy, due to the proximity to reception which was directly off the stairway and the door was very poorly fitting and rattled continually. Staff were talking and laughing until the early hours, which was very disappointing as we had an early Eurostar journey. No breakfast included as we left too early.

However, excellent proximity to St Pancras.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking Argylle Square
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tindalongue

Dear Guest

We know about the view of the brick wall - to counteract we are coming up with something unique ! This will completed in the very near future ( We are excited about this new " artwork " which will be visible from the room )

We hope to keep improving

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Very comfortable bed.The room was spotlessly clean. This hotel is a good option for those who need to travel from St Pancras International on Eurostar as it is only about 3-4 minutes walk from station. Staff were also very helpful and friendly

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I picked Melville because A) It was the most affordable for what I was looking for and B) It looked clean. The photos on the website make the place appear MUCH larger than it is. Our room was tiny, and my 6'3 boyfriend could barely fit in the restroom, let alone close the door if he needed some 'privacy'. We arrived after midnight after traveling all day and had to carry our huge suitcases up 3 flights of narrow stairs. The room was clean, the shower nice, and the tv worked fine. The bed was very small and uncomfortable, and when I asked for a second pillow I was answered with "Ugh, I will have to go hunt one down" and then never received one. We payed over $750 for our stay, so I expected at least a little customer service. Only one of the front desk guys was friendly to us. Otherwise, it was in good area, easy to get everywhere. OH, and I almost forgot: there was construction of some sort going on every morning in the building so we were awakened with loud noises often.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cat T

Thanks for your review

We have now added room sizes and bed sizes to all our room categories on our website ...So you know everything about your room before deciding what room to book .

All construction has now finished .

We are working hard to learn and improve all the time

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I'd actually booked into the Excelsior next door, but the reception is in the Melville next door, which is part of the same group (Argyle). I arrived at 10:30am and left my bags as couldn't check in until the afternoon. After walking down Argyle street and seeing a few tatty hotels, I was pleasantly surprised by the smart exterior facing Argyle Square and again by the contemporary and pleasant reception. When I returned I was checked into a room in the Melvile. On the small side, but adequate and I thought very good for the price paid through booking.com. Smart contemporary and clean. I didn't have breakfast, but got the impression you had to venture outside to the nearby Argyle, which would be a pin if the weather was bad. Staff were very helpful and attentive.Ideally located a short walk from Kings Cross Station and about 10 mins from Euston. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo