“London Trip”
Review of Hotel Melville

Hotel Melville
Ranked #851 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Receptionists were helpful and on duty for 24 hours,but room was far too small, no drawers for clothes or other belongings,limited hanging space,bathroom was smelly,no lift to 3rd floor(I am 75 years old). Location good for King's Cross station.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of the room before you book.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alexander s

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I had read fairly good reviews on this hotel. To me, however, it was disappointing. I will not stay in this hotel anymore unless I really have to. The room was tiny. I don't mind small, but any smaller than this and you'd have to jump from the door onto the bed with no moving space. The mattress was too soft, which resulted in back ache for me and my partner. The floor was dirty. Walking barefoot from bathroom into bedroom was not advisable. The safe in the room was locked, so could not be used.
There was no shampoo or soap in the shower and no hair dryer. I'm quite small, I am well aware of that, but I have never had the experience of not being able to look in the mirror at all because it was too high.
You had to pay to leave your luggage in the hotel after checking out.
For me, this hotel was too expensive for what they provided and therefore a disappointment. i have stayed in better hotels for a far better price in London, in the same area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Bieke D
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed here last night for one night. We had room 60 which was down in the basement. It was basic with a very comfortable double bed (advertised as a king which it definitely wasn't!) but perfectly adequate for us for one night. Lovely big white towels and soap in the room. Plus a kettle and sundries. It was a small room as others have said but we only used it as a base. There was no hair dryer but the very friendly gentleman on reception soon found me one. The whole hotel is absolutely spotless and clean and smelt lovely! The reception area rivals a top class hotel with its modern decor.
Other people have mentioned the park across the road. There were youths out playing basketball but we never saw any worrying behaviour. We walked past it at 11pm after a meal and I never felt nervous. There were people about but no negativity.
This hotel is perfect for Kings Cross and St Pancras as it's literally minutes away.
Perfect hotel if you just need a base for a couple of days.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Good location, short walk from Kings Cross / St Pancreas stations.Friendly staff. Room and bathroom very clean, comfy bed. Reasonably priced for high season in central London. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The Melville is minutes from St Pancreas yet has a quiet garden location. There is some noise from local youth in the evenings which was slightly bothersome. Room small - but this is normal in central London at this price. Very clean and everything worked! Luggage storage is properly organised and secure - not the sticking it behind reception that you sometimes get. We were on the top floor in a heatwave - and it was very hot up there. The fan didn't make a lot of difference. Something to bear in mind depending on the season.

Room Tip: Be aware that top floor will be very hot in warm weather.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2013

the staff were wonderful nothing was too much trouble. this is my second stay and it was better than the first. they were so welcoming.the hotel is in a good location for the underground we visited so many places in the four days we stayed there. room was cleaned everyday, tea and coffee supplied everyday if we ran out all we had to do was ask for more it was no problem

Room Tip: room 42 was very large and sunny
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank 1coggy
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I visited Melville hotel recently, i was very happy with excellent service provided by the staff they were very friendly and always willing to help with any problems, they made me feel very at home. My room was very clean it was much to my liking and to my surprise the hotel had offered free WiFi in all areas of the hotel which i found was very useful. The hotel was easy in a great location only 2 minutes away from kings cross station, I would definitely recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo