“Hotel Melville 09/11/13”

Ranked #806 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Hotel Melville 09/11/13”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Lovely little hotel. Booking was easy and on arrival they were all ready for us even tho we arrived only 10 minutes after 12pm. Room was small but to be expected given the loaction and the price but for a one night stay what more do you need! The only downside is that there was no sugar in the room so had to struggle for a brew in the morning (not great after a few too many cocktails in the evening) but overall not a bad stay

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear guest

Thanks for your review and positive feedback

Good to know you enjoyed your stay with us

Sorry there was no sugar ; it is the housekeepers duty to ensure all rooms are fully stocked with these amenities and they are free for all our guests ! Please also feel free to come down to the reception and pick up some extra bits if you need them.

Thanks again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I recently booked to stay in Albion house for 1 night for my boyfriends birthday. When we arrived we were shown to a room in its sister hotel the excelsior, which was extremely small and very dusty. Whilst we were deciding if to complain the man who had taken us to the room knocked on our door and said he had a better room for us! We were then given room 36 in the Melville hotel! Still not the hotel we booked but it didn't matter then as the room was very nice! Very clean and bigger than the first room! I was a lot happier! On leaving the hotel I thanked the man for changing our room and he thanked me for thanking him! He was very helpful with our luggage as we left it there until we caught our train! I had no problem in paying the small fee of £2 as I feel it's a very small price compared to the hassle of pulling a case around all day! I would stay again as the area and room were great but I would book direct with the hotel and attempt to book the same room as I know it's condition and size!

• Stayed November 2013
thanks for your review

Im glad you we got you what you wanted in the end !

Look forward to seeing you again in the future

Manager

Patrick
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I feel very conflicted about my ten night stay at this hotel. Its location is spectacular. I love the area around Argyle Park (it is very safe and quiet and I walked around a lot at night with my 10 year old daughter); the hotel is very close to St. Pancras and King's Cross; there are a lot of great restaurants, pubs, and cafes within easy walking distance. The hotel is modern and the rooms and public areas are beautiful. The staff is very helpful and friendly (except for the white--Russian?--guy who was consistently unhelpful and borderline rude). I wouldn't stay here again, however, because of the downsides. The rooms really are tiny, even by European standards. I knew this was true from the other reviews, but as a frequent traveler, I can attest that these rooms are barely large enough for one person. The wifi is also TERRIBLE. Although I requested a room on one of the first few floors, we were initially placed on the top floor where there was no internet service. We were moved to the basement (room 46), where internet service was very spotty and unacceptable. I was in town for work, so had a very difficult time accessing wifi from my room (and, really, who wants to do work in the hotel lobby?). If you will need consistent wifi in your room while traveling, do not book this hotel. I was disappointed that although I had requested a room that was not in the basement and not on the top floor, these were the rooms we were assigned. It seems that for guests staying as long as we did, the staff would have tried harder to accommodate our request. We paid the entire stay upfront (the hotel was offering a 10% discount to do so); however, if you decide to book this hotel I would advise not to do this since it would be better to arrive and take a look first. There were other odd things about the room. There were no outlets in the bathroom, which is very inconvenient. There was an outlet in the bedroom to plug the hair dryer into, but the mirror was so far up that I could only see the top of my head. It seems that the designers of the renovation were more caught up with aesthetics (and, again, did a very beautiful job), but the room was just barely functional. There was a small closet with no door and a tiny side table, but really nowhere to store clothing (and just barely enough space if you put a suitcase on the floor and open it). Lastly, while the food offered for breakfast is sufficient, the quality was really low. The dining area is in another nearby hotel and the friendly staff serve the exact same thing every day. There is no fresh fruit (tinned fruit only), some toast, some awful croissants, ham, boiled eggs, and two types of cereal. Every single day it was the same thing. I would recommend paying a bit more and checking out some of the lovely breakfast offerings at the train and underground stations. I had a much better, fresher breakfast with more variety staying at a hotel in the Finnish arctic circle in the middle of the winter, so there's really no excuse for offering such a substandard breakfast in the middle of London.

Room Tip: Rooms big enough for only one person
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Skaerje
cardiff
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Receptionists were helpful and on duty for 24 hours,but room was far too small, no drawers for clothes or other belongings,limited hanging space,bathroom was smelly,no lift to 3rd floor(I am 75 years old). Location good for King's Cross station.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of the room before you book.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alexander s

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I had read fairly good reviews on this hotel. To me, however, it was disappointing. I will not stay in this hotel anymore unless I really have to. The room was tiny. I don't mind small, but any smaller than this and you'd have to jump from the door onto the bed with no moving space. The mattress was too soft, which resulted in back ache for me and my partner. The floor was dirty. Walking barefoot from bathroom into bedroom was not advisable. The safe in the room was locked, so could not be used.
There was no shampoo or soap in the shower and no hair dryer. I'm quite small, I am well aware of that, but I have never had the experience of not being able to look in the mirror at all because it was too high.
You had to pay to leave your luggage in the hotel after checking out.
For me, this hotel was too expensive for what they provided and therefore a disappointment. i have stayed in better hotels for a far better price in London, in the same area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Bieke D
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed here last night for one night. We had room 60 which was down in the basement. It was basic with a very comfortable double bed (advertised as a king which it definitely wasn't!) but perfectly adequate for us for one night. Lovely big white towels and soap in the room. Plus a kettle and sundries. It was a small room as others have said but we only used it as a base. There was no hair dryer but the very friendly gentleman on reception soon found me one. The whole hotel is absolutely spotless and clean and smelt lovely! The reception area rivals a top class hotel with its modern decor.
Other people have mentioned the park across the road. There were youths out playing basketball but we never saw any worrying behaviour. We walked past it at 11pm after a meal and I never felt nervous. There were people about but no negativity.
This hotel is perfect for Kings Cross and St Pancras as it's literally minutes away.
Perfect hotel if you just need a base for a couple of days.

• Stayed October 2013
Suffolk, England
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Good location, short walk from Kings Cross / St Pancreas stations.Friendly staff. Room and bathroom very clean, comfy bed. Reasonably priced for high season in central London. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple