“Dodgy charging policy”

Ranked #789 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Dodgy charging policy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I booked this hotel with LateRooms and was quoted £104.99 for the booking. My colleague used this booking instead of me and so I paid over the phone. I was emailed a bill for £104.99 via email but when my colleague gave me the card receipt, it was for £107.08. They seem to be charging a 2% surcharge for using cards, which was never mentioned on the original booking.

I now have the problem of the VAT receipt not matching the actual payment, which when claiming business expenses, causes all sorts of problems. A little more up front information and transparency would be so much more helpful.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Guest

Please note there is information on our website stating our charges for credit cards and also a sign in our reception also.

We can provide you with an accurate VAT receipt if you just e mail me what it is you need. We get these sent out immediately .

Regards

Patrick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was hesitant about staying at an unknown hotel in Kings Cross, especially considering the price was under £100 for London - but was pleasantly surprised when I checked in. I knew from the reviews that I had read that the room would be small and I had booked a single as well (it had a small double bed) - but to be honest for one person, staying for one night it was more than adequate. It had absolutely everything you could need, I was in room 32 which I think may have been at the back of the hotel and was lucky because it was very quiet - it had lovely shutters on the window as well which obviously blocked out lots of noise. Quite amazing to be less than a minute away from the hustle and bustle of Kings Cross station and for it be so peaceful. The bed was super comfy and luxurious, you could tell that all the fittings were of a very high standard and it was very clean. I'm not sure if the double rooms are much bigger but certainly the single room was great for an overnight stay. I didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that. Would happily stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank lianewil
Dear Guest

Thanks for the positive review

It is always good to hear from our guests that you enjoyed your stay and gives us great encouragement .

We are always listening and trying to improve

Thanks again

Worcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Room was "compact" but served the purpose.
It was clean and had all the expected essentials - tea/coffee making facilities, TV, iPod dock/alarm and complimentary soap/shampoo.
REALLY comfy bed!
Fantastically convenient location. Less than 5min walk to Kings Cross.
We didn't book for breakfast so cannot comment.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon F
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and that you liked our hotel and had a good experience.

I'm absolutely overjoyed that you liked the bed - We have Tempur mattresses and Hypnos mattresses on our beds and we recently added Luxury Toppers to this as well . I personally thought that this would add a be a luxury 5 star touch to our beds.

Really glad you liked that !

Gillingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Lovely little hotel. Booking was easy and on arrival they were all ready for us even tho we arrived only 10 minutes after 12pm. Room was small but to be expected given the loaction and the price but for a one night stay what more do you need! The only downside is that there was no sugar in the room so had to struggle for a brew in the morning (not great after a few too many cocktails in the evening) but overall not a bad stay

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest

Thanks for your review and positive feedback

Good to know you enjoyed your stay with us

Sorry there was no sugar ; it is the housekeepers duty to ensure all rooms are fully stocked with these amenities and they are free for all our guests ! Please also feel free to come down to the reception and pick up some extra bits if you need them.

Thanks again
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I recently booked to stay in Albion house for 1 night for my boyfriends birthday. When we arrived we were shown to a room in its sister hotel the excelsior, which was extremely small and very dusty. Whilst we were deciding if to complain the man who had taken us to the room knocked on our door and said he had a better room for us! We were then given room 36 in the Melville hotel! Still not the hotel we booked but it didn't matter then as the room was very nice! Very clean and bigger than the first room! I was a lot happier! On leaving the hotel I thanked the man for changing our room and he thanked me for thanking him! He was very helpful with our luggage as we left it there until we caught our train! I had no problem in paying the small fee of £2 as I feel it's a very small price compared to the hassle of pulling a case around all day! I would stay again as the area and room were great but I would book direct with the hotel and attempt to book the same room as I know it's condition and size!

• Stayed November 2013
thanks for your review

Im glad you we got you what you wanted in the end !

Look forward to seeing you again in the future

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I feel very conflicted about my ten night stay at this hotel. Its location is spectacular. I love the area around Argyle Park (it is very safe and quiet and I walked around a lot at night with my 10 year old daughter); the hotel is very close to St. Pancras and King's Cross; there are a lot of great restaurants, pubs, and cafes within easy walking distance. The hotel is modern and the rooms and public areas are beautiful. The staff is very helpful and friendly (except for the white--Russian?--guy who was consistently unhelpful and borderline rude). I wouldn't stay here again, however, because of the downsides. The rooms really are tiny, even by European standards. I knew this was true from the other reviews, but as a frequent traveler, I can attest that these rooms are barely large enough for one person. The wifi is also TERRIBLE. Although I requested a room on one of the first few floors, we were initially placed on the top floor where there was no internet service. We were moved to the basement (room 46), where internet service was very spotty and unacceptable. I was in town for work, so had a very difficult time accessing wifi from my room (and, really, who wants to do work in the hotel lobby?). If you will need consistent wifi in your room while traveling, do not book this hotel. I was disappointed that although I had requested a room that was not in the basement and not on the top floor, these were the rooms we were assigned. It seems that for guests staying as long as we did, the staff would have tried harder to accommodate our request. We paid the entire stay upfront (the hotel was offering a 10% discount to do so); however, if you decide to book this hotel I would advise not to do this since it would be better to arrive and take a look first. There were other odd things about the room. There were no outlets in the bathroom, which is very inconvenient. There was an outlet in the bedroom to plug the hair dryer into, but the mirror was so far up that I could only see the top of my head. It seems that the designers of the renovation were more caught up with aesthetics (and, again, did a very beautiful job), but the room was just barely functional. There was a small closet with no door and a tiny side table, but really nowhere to store clothing (and just barely enough space if you put a suitcase on the floor and open it). Lastly, while the food offered for breakfast is sufficient, the quality was really low. The dining area is in another nearby hotel and the friendly staff serve the exact same thing every day. There is no fresh fruit (tinned fruit only), some toast, some awful croissants, ham, boiled eggs, and two types of cereal. Every single day it was the same thing. I would recommend paying a bit more and checking out some of the lovely breakfast offerings at the train and underground stations. I had a much better, fresher breakfast with more variety staying at a hotel in the Finnish arctic circle in the middle of the winter, so there's really no excuse for offering such a substandard breakfast in the middle of London.

Room Tip: Rooms big enough for only one person
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Skaerje
cardiff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Receptionists were helpful and on duty for 24 hours,but room was far too small, no drawers for clothes or other belongings,limited hanging space,bathroom was smelly,no lift to 3rd floor(I am 75 years old). Location good for King's Cross station.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of the room before you book.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alexander s

Travellers are raving about these London hotels