“Three-night stay”
Review of Hotel Melville

Hotel Melville
Ranked #849 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Melville for 3 nights in June 2014. It is very conveniently located, near St. Pancras & King's Cross stations, and only a few blocks from Euston Station. There is a charming park across the street. We were afraid that it would be noisy, but the park closes at 10 pm. The room was small, but clean. We knew there was no lift, so that wasn't a surprise. Overall, we liked it and would consider staying there again.

Pluses: Friendly, helpful staff; location, clean, plenty of receptacles for charging our devices..

Minuses: Small room, no hair dryer, very thin pillows.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for your positive review

We appreciate it very much.

We hope to see you again in the future

Warm wishes

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a 2 minute walk from kings cross St Pancras so is great for anyone needing access to the underground as we did. Hotel it's self was clean and tidy, staff were all nice and helpful with any questions. We stayed in a double bedroom on the ground floor, room was small but we only used it for sleep and to get ready so was fine for our needs. Only negative was no air conditioning, left the window open at nights so obviously there was going to be some noise from the street but nothing a pair of ear plugs couldn't cancel out. Overall we enjoyed the stay here and would definitely come back.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Rachael1609
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks again for your review we appreciate all feedback we get from our customers

Positives - Location ; Clean ; Tidy ; helpful staff

Negatives - No AC ; We are a grade 2 listed building - Camden Council won't allow us to put these in. I will keep pestering them for consent to do this ; I also would love to install these in to the rooms - even if it only gets used for 5 days of sunshine we have a year !

Thanks again for your positive feedback

Manager

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Staff were very plesant and helpful. Hotel was clean. Room although small was fine when you're out and about all day. Remember to take shampoo and shower gel as none provided as is normal in all other hotels I've stayed. If they could stretch to air con room would have been so much better as it was very hot the two nights we stayed. Bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for your review

Positives : Pleasant & Helpful Staff…Clean room Comfortable bed

Negatives : NO AC… We would sincerely love to put AC units in all the rooms; however we are a Grade 2 listed building and it is impossible to get consent from Camden Council to install these in our rooms … We will keep trying and hopefully they will change their mind ! British summer dictates we will only really need to use these units for 5 days out of 365 !

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We only had one night booked here as it is close to St. Pancras station to get the Eurostar. Room was in the basement and while it was clean and newly refurbished the problems for us were......no bin in room (only very small one in bathroom), no plug for sink, no soap or little shampoos etc (we were told to use the hand wash over the sink as soap for shower), no shelf in shower and very slow wi-fi. Also at night we could hear anyone that walked over the top of our room which was straight under reception .......very noisy! Would not stay there again. Attention to detail, even if small, does make a difference!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pdhgirl

Dear Guest;

Thanks for your review

Positives : Rooms clean and newly refurbished

Negatives : No bin in the room only in the bathroom- this easily fixed ; we have put a bin in in the room now.
No plug for sink - A guest recently left the plug down and the tap on - flooded the bathroom ! We have decided to remove all plugs as a result …. You can still wash your face; shave and brush your teeth with no issues .
Soap - There is a soap dispenser over the sink ; and there is one now conveniently placed in the shower also .
Noise from above- We have ordered a bespoke large rug for the reception which we are waiting to take delivery on at any moment .

We are paying attention to the fine details and are listening to our guests .

Patrickj

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have given travel reviews in the past here on TripAdvisor, on other travel websites, as well as travel blogs (and every place I can...I will place the same information)...I have never been more disgusted with the blatant "bait and switch" practice at this hotel. The only way for a traveler to get a clear view of what they are expecting in a room is the pictures and advertisement stated when booking the room through the website. I booked a family room for my husband and I, due to the picture and description on the hotel website. When I arrived at the hotel it looked pleasant enough in the lobby, we arrived early, so the gentleman at the front desk allowed us to store our luggage. When we got back to the hotel to check in, we were taken to an entirely different location at what looked like a apartment type building across the street. I was welcomed to this place by the homeless man, drinking a beer on the entrance right next to our door entrance. Then we were made to walk up 4 flights of stairs in a disgustingly dingy hallway, and brought to a "family room" that was old, smelled of mold and old trash, had flies flying through the open windows (no AC) and obviously NOT what is shown and advertised on the website (and what was reflected in my booking confirmation by the Hotel Melville). It looked like a very old, worn down flat, with two rooms (not the open room advertised), nasty appliances, and a bathroom that looks like it hadn't been cleaned properly or updated (including the mold on the ceilings-I am posting pictures). This is what I was promised in the advertisement of their Family Suite.
*Bed(s) Size(s): 1 x King sized 5ft double bed ; and 1x 4ft 6inch double bed;Hypnos Beds- I have pictures...the beds were about dble/queen size with bedding that I was almost afraid to sleep on.
*Room Size : 15-20 metres squared- This room was split in to two bedrooms( the reason I booked the Family room in the first place was to have a larger open room like the picture advertised on the website.)
*Internet : Free Wifi and LAN available in room- Did not work, but they did offer to see why that was the case...I was so upset at the time I just didn't want to deal with it.
*The Family Suite is our largest room, with a Modern, Fresh and very Urban design style. It has a balcony with park views and an en-suite private bathroom with Hans Grohe fittings and Rainfall Shower.- This was a definite NO...NOTHING was modern, fresh or urban..we had NO balcony and the bathroom did not have Hans Grohe fittings or a rainfall shower.

So maybe this hotel thought it was fine to give my husband and I this room because we were there only one night....but regardless I PAID and RECEIVED a confirmation for a ROOM that I did not get!! It was a classic BAIT and SWITCH..and it is an unethical business practice.
I asked the desk person (possibly the manager or owner) if the place(alternative location) we were staying was part of the Melville Hotel, and he said "yes, we have three hotels" and then later I asked if there were any rooms in the place that I thought I booked (The Hotel Melville) and he said they had no rooms available. So they knew they had overbooked and I probably wasn't spending enough money to justify them giving me the room I was confirmed.
DO NOT STAY HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! There are much nicer accommodations in the same area...look further.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bluestocking74

Dear Guest

I hold my hands up and agree you were not given what you booked .

You booked a Family room in the Melville and were allocated the Family apartment located in an annexe building .

We have to apologise for this .

Why were you not given the room you had booked ? This was not " bait and switch " - we do not need to do this and we are not un ethical.

An elderly couple ( over 70 yrs ) had booked the apartment but upon check in could not climb all the stairs to enter the flat . What could we do ? We had to offer them your room …. It was not an ideal situation but a decision had to be made immediately .

We apologise again for this unfortunate situation .

If there is anything else I can do please e mail me

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very convenient for the Eurostar. It's moderately priced for London. It is situated in a pleasant Georgian square and the hotel looks good.
We had a club double which was clean and nicely decorated. The room was small but for one night, ok. In the winter with the window shut I am sure you could probably get a good nights sleep; however since there is no AC it means that it has to be open in summer. To that effect, you can hear everything (and I mean everything!!!) echoing through the room. There was a small outside walkway just outside below our room where other guests would congregate to smoke. This meant that we could smell cigarette smoke in our room more or less all night.
We stayed here so we could relax before we jumped on the Eurostar; now we are even more knackered.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank David R

Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and time taken to let us know your thoughts ; all reviews are vital for us to improve our service and quality of accommodation offered.

Positives : Convenient for Eurostar..Well priced …Pleasant Georgian Square …Hotel Looks Good…Clean and nicely decorated..

Negatives : You found the room to be noisy… I believe it was a Saturday night you stayed .. We ask all guests to be mindful of our other guests when entering and leaving the building and especially in the evenings. We don't have a curfew so guests can return at any time of the night ..
Smoking is only allowed outside of the building on the public street .
Im not sure what we can do to improve here on this ? The front door is shut at night for security reasons and to stop external noises from coming in ..The reception door leading to the rooms is also closed at night to reduce any noise . We are looking into alternatives.

Thanks again for your review and time

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Don't be fooled by the photos on the website, most of them are of the lobby and don't reflect the state of the rooms. We had booked a club double, and I was surprised how small and pokey it was - hate to think what a double was like. The first one we were offered had a broken sliding door to the bathroom, which they were getting fixed sometime. We were offered the other ground floor club double which we took, but it was quite noisy. The bathroom had been recently refurbished but there was no soap tray in the shower, and no extractor fan so it got very hot and steamy. The breakfast was average to say the least, and the staff had a definite attitude problem. The only positive aspect of this hotel is it's close proximity to Kings Cross Station.

Room Tip: Don't accept the club rooms on the ground floor, they are very noisy