“Brilliant stay!!!”

Ranked #809 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Brilliant stay!!!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my friend for a trip to London. The rooms are lovely and the price is great!
Brilliant staff and they go out of their way to help you. Stayed here on a recommendation and I'm very glad I did.
I would definitely stay there again.
Rooms are really really clean and very modern. I couldn't have asked for more.

Thank you Melville!!!

Room Tip: Call the hotel and speak to the manager. If you tell them exactly whT you want, he will make it hap...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review and your positive comments

We are really encouraged by your comments and are always looking to improve .

Positves : Rooms are clean and Modern !

We hope to see you again in the future

Patrick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Reviewed 8 August 2014

we were met by friendly staff, shown our rooms which pleasantly surprised us, clean, tidy, fresh sheets. I love these types of hotel in London, they have a character and charm of there own that can't be met by the larger purpose built hotels.
I recommend this hotel as an experienced traveller to London, it met and exceeded expectations, food was good, staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your positive words :

Friendly staff ; Clean and Tidy ; Great Location .

We hope to see you again

Brighton
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My friend and I stayed in the Melville for two nights when we came to London for a weekend away. Our room was a good size and very clean. The staff are helpful and the full English breakfast on offer is lovely. The location is great as we wanted to go shopping an enjoy London night life! I would stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review

We appreciate all the feedback we get

We are happy you enjoyed all our services and facilities.

We hope to see you again

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

On arrival this hotel seemed fine, it was clean and modern looking which was all fine. The man on reception was a bit scruffy and didn't say very much but I didn't mind. I was in the room which was down a few steps from the main reception, it was a nice room but had an odd layout with steps to go to the bathroom. The bathroom door was also a sliding heavy wooden door which when you tried to open it would just rock back and you have to push all your weight into it for it to open. A child or elderly person would have no chance! There was also an overlooked skylight with no cover which looked directly at the entrance of the bathroom so I couldn't leave the door open! I paid the extra £6.95 for the breakfast thinking it would save time in the morning as I had a meeting, went downstairs to the tiny dining room nd the waitress asked if I wanted cooked breakfast before I had sat down. I asked the options and she looked confused and said 'full english', I said I was vegetarian was there anything I could have and she said no. I wasn't feeling great or I would have realised that the other people eating had scrambled egg on toast which is a veggie option she could have offered..but no she didn't even offer me toast! I just had cornflakes and the worst yogurt I've ever eaten in my life, the fruit on offer was very bashed bananas and some very old looking apples so I gave that a miss! Good location and the rooms would be fine with a tweek here and there but for the moment I would give this place a miss!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Caroline M
Dear madam

Apologies for the confusion over breakfast

The waitress should have given you various options on what you can have.

We clearly state we serve continental breakfast and English breakfast.

This is mind - you can tell her what it is you want . You said yourself you saw scrambled eggs ; toast is laid out and is self service and there is large open fridge with various options .

For £6.99 you can have all these options and eat as much as you like . A fair price and a good start to the day.

Many thanks

Patrick

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Booked the Melville and got dumped into the Albion. 4 floor walk up with a broken foot was no fun. No air conditioning and the park across the street is a hang out until very early hours of the morning. So its stay awake with the noise or stay awake from the heat after you close the window. The remote for the tv didn't have batteries and when we put some of our own in the tv did not work anyway. Paid for "late" check out at noon and the maid tried to burst in at 7:30 anyway. Fortunately the room was so impossibly small that the luggage was in front of the door (fire hazard?) and she couldn't get in. Bathroom was clean but the sheets smelled moldy and were rough. I slept with my clothes on!

Room Tip: I bet the Melville (which I booked) would have been better as it was recently remodeled.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cee R
Dear Sir

I have checked your booking and your booking was for Albion House Hotel ( I can only guess this was you as this was the only booking we have from Arizona - and tripadvosor is totally anonymous)

You were therefor allocated a room in the correct establishment .

We actually say on our websites for all our hotels that we do not have air conditioning . We actively tell you this so you don't assume that we do. The Park across the street is shut and locked at 8 pm by the councils park keeper. The noise can be coming from guests/revellers of the city . You are in the city centre so these things unfortunately do happen on a Hot Summers night on a Saturday when everyone is in good " spirits ". City centres are normally a lively place to be. We however are fortunate enough to be located in the city centre but set back from the main road in a private garden square . A fortunate position for any visitor to be .

The TV does work as I have checked it- you just have to switch it on with the standby button and wait for the light to turn green from red .

Petit Double rooms are small however room sizes are clearly displayed for you- We gave you as booked. There is space under the wardrobe for luggage and also under the bed . You just have to organise it yourself a bit better. If you choose to leave your bag by the bedroom door you are creating your own fire hazard yourself ! Please don't do this … Our sheets are 100% cotton and laundered in - They are not 1000 thread count Egytpain cotton as found in the Ritz Park Lane.

Thanks for your review

Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I gave it a five-star rating because I'm evaluating it based on what it it touted itself as -- a reasonably priced place in a good location. The room I had wouldn't be good for hanging around in all day, but as a place to drop a bag, take a shower, and sleep, it fit the bill.

Room Tip: No special tips. I stayed on the top floor and had no problems.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Mr Patrick P, Owner at Hotel Melville, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review we appreciate all the feedback .

All I can say is : You are right to evaluate us on what we sell ourselves as !

I think this is only real way to evaluate anything . We don't pretend top be anything else .

So thank you

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in room 40 at the beginning of July 2014 for one night on business. On appearance the hotel and room seemed fine. It's only when I arrived home the next evening I discovered I'd been bitten all over!!! Pretty disgusting really... I visited a pharmacist and showed her the bites, she confirmed they were most likely from bed bugs. Spent the next week and a half on antihistamines and using bite soothing cream. Not impressed!! Wouldn't recommend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank GJD79
We are taking your complaint very seriously

Even though we can not find any evidence of bed bug activity i.e. : No sightings and no signs of droppings - we have vigilantly taken the room apart .

Bed bugs are brought into any establishment by customers in their Luggage- Frequent travellers can pick these up from : Airplanes ; other hotels, Underground stations . The USA has a particularly bad problem .The UK remains largely unaffected .

We have partnered up with Bed Bugs UK Ltd ; who are industry expert. The MD has personally come in scrutinised every aspect of our room maintenance and put new practices in place. He will continue to monitor our rooms over a 12 month period.This is done at our request in order to remain responsible and vigilent.

We have totally redone the room purely as a safeguard even though this was not essential - We have gone above the standard required .

We have been given a clean bill of health ! Which I am confident will remain.

We are a brand new hotel and have recently been refurbished.

Rest assured we are doing everything we can to maintain our high standards

Manager