“it's a basment... but well located”
Review of New Dawn Hotel

New Dawn Hotel
Ranked #853 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 May 2013

It's not only basic, it's really a basement: scruffy room, basic basic bathroom (the sink it's so small you cannot really wash your hands), no cupboard, just two chairs in the corners... Anyway, I stayed there two days, and it's clean, it's centrally located with excellent access to the tube, the staff is kind and smiling. So, no I wouldn't go back, but it can be an emergency solution for a short stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chiara G
There are newer reviews for New Dawn Hotel

Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is ideally located 5 minute walking to Bayswater underground in a nice borough. This is the only positive aspect I honestly can indicate.
Hotel is decadent, service is poor, room is embarrassing and there's no bathroom, rather a box with a 30x30cm basin, WC and a shower curtain. Trust me: you cannot make any move in it!
Quilt and pillows were not clean and smelled bad: I had to sleep over it with my jacket on!
No luggage store present: you can leave your luggages in the (of course) unguarded and unlocked room, on a shelf where people go have breakfast. This is ridiculous!
Do not let the hotel website deceive you: pictures don't show how the hotel (nowadays) look!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Erycool
Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews about this hotel, I had to check to make sure I had selected the correct hotel. Yes the rooms were small, as were the bathrooms, but as I only spend a tiny fraction of my day in the bathroom, I didn't find this a problem. Although the rooms were small, they contained a double bed, a single bed, a double wardrobe, a chest of drawers and a T.V. The staff were helpful and knowledgeable about the area. The breakfast was adequate and the kitchen staff were more than happy to heat porridge up for my 10 year old daughter. We were given fresh towels and clean linen every day. The location was fantastic, just a very short walk from Bayswater station, and the high street contained a wealth of supermarkets, and restaurants.
As we were sight seeing, we were only actually in the hotel to sleep and shower, but I genuinely thought our stay was good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Andrea C
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights visiting family. Tiny room, the smallest bathroom I've ever seen. Hotel and room were very clean. Breakfast was continental, adequate. The best thing about the hotel is the location as it was very central and convenient for visiting west London, very close to the tube station. Good value considering the location.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 531SusanM531
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Broom cupboard for room was that a double room and as for the bathroom, small, dirty and broken. Camp beds and very uncomfortable. Our stay was for three days by being there for a couple of hours we were moved because of a broken shower hose. To another room where the bathroom was no bigger then a caravan bathroom but in poor condition. The website is misleading to what your really staying in. Faulty wiring had to be pointed out to the manager, only one light worked out of the three that's of course if you could see through the dust and dirt.
Breakfast- hard boiled egg was green inside, toast or cereal. Tea or coffee not whats on the web site. Poor quality, wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jillywilly007
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I'm used to budget hotels and normally I can see some value in even the poorest places.
But not in this hotel. There is absolutely nothing I could recommend to other travellers.
The rooms smelled, the cleaning lousy, the beds terrible and the brakfast poor with bad tasting coffee. Outside the hotel is a terrace that could be nice if it wasn't full of dirt.
The staff smiled but not from their hearts.
We ended up spending as litle time as possible at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Titte T
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I'm not saying "don't stay there" but you do need to be prepared for what it is actually like. The photographs and descriptions online dress it up big time. This is a very low budget hotel (and I use that word loosely). I recently stayed in a single room (tiny - I've seen broom cupboards bigger than this!) there, shabby to the extreme and whereas the room did have it's own sink and shower the toilet was shared with another room at the end of the hallway. When I asked about a room with it's own toilet I was told they were all fully booked. When I mildly complained that the shared toilet wasn't mentioned online I was told that it was. Next point: The TV. Yes the rooms did have a small flatscreen tv fixed to the wall but due to the layout of the room you couldn't watch it in that position, I ended up taking it off the wall and balancing it on the end of the bed while I sat on the bad, this was the only way to watch the TV. Next point: NOISE. Absolutely no insulation from street noise, the only way I could get to sleep was weating earplugs. Next point: THE BED. Super thin mattress, very light bedding, doable but not particularly comfortable. Next point: THE 'DINING' ROOM. Dingy room in the basement, breakfast consists of toast, butter, jam and a boiled egg! Plus tea, coffee or orange (cordial not fresh). I felt very sorry for the poor ladies who served breakfast (and incidentally were the same women who serviced the rooms) as their English was very poor, one couldn't really speak English at all, and they looked like frightened rabbits. I had the definite impression that their working conditions were not the best. Next point: STAIRS. If you're lugging a suitcase be aware that most of the rooms are up narrow steep stairs and no help is offered. Next Point: LOCATION. Very very handy to shops and Bayswater subway station. The Bayswater area didn't seem too dodgy, I safely ventured out by myself at dusk but still go propositioned once.

General wrap up: If you only require a bed to sleep in and are not that bothered about comfort then this place is fine. But don't be fooled by the photo's they really oversell the place. Would I go back? Not a chance!

Room Tip: None sorry!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo