“Usually so good - This time the room was not to the usual standard”

Apex City of London Hotel
Ranked #87 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We have stayed at the Apex City of London on several occasions and we have never been disappointed with our stay, this time the standard had dropped. Unfortunately prior to our arrival there had been a water leak at the hotel and we got the impression that staff were moving other guests from the affected floor elsewhere in the hotel.

For the first time ever we were not permitted an early check-in reinforcing the above, and we were given a room on the top floor which was obviously one that was not used that often, maybe the better quality rooms had been given to placate the relocated guests. The room was clean but disappointingly dark and cold, and the bed and pillows were not as comfortable as in the past, probably as a result of the room not being occupied that often. Given that the lifts had failed on the day of the leak some 48 hours plus later they were still not working, making the trip to the top floor via the stairs somewhat of a trek.

We expressed some disappointment when checking out but the response was pretty matter of fact and not the usual standard of customer care we have experienced in the past.

Not sure if we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a street facing room on a high floor. (When the lifts are working)
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chasbee
RobertFlinter, General Manager at Apex City of London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

I am terribly sorry that your stay was affected by the disruption that was caused last week. The flood was completely beyond our control and the damage that it caused initially was extensive. I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel.
I can assure you that all of the facilities were restored as quickly as possible including the lifts and any further work that is required will be completed quickly and will not affect any guest stay.

Kind regards

Robert Flinter

Write a ReviewReviews (4,015)

Reviewed 3 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here last weekend to celebrate her birthday. I booked the hotel on an advance deal, so it was excellent value for money. The hotel was very comfortable and the staff very friendly indeed. It's just a stroll to the west end, or you can get the tube just as easily. The room was large for the price. The bathroom was also lovely, with a very ample sized bath and an amazing rain-shower that I didn't want to get out of.

A couple of very minor points I would raise are that the baggage attendant was very slow to retrieve our bags after we'd stowed them for the day - at took him about 5 minutes to find them whilst we had the taxi meter running!

Also, there was limited toilet paper and there was no brush in the bathroom. I can only assume that this was for hygiene reasons, and these would have been supplied if requested.

So all in all a very pleasant stay, and we would stay there again if we could get it for the same price.

3  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for four nights in the end of May with my 8-year old daughter. I have travelled a lot around the world, but the experience at Apex was so outstanding it made me submit my first Tripadvisor review (as I used Tripadvisor to select the hotel in the first place). The experience was flawless, the check-in quick and smooth, staff were friendly, courteous, they upgraded us from superior to deluxe room. The room itself was large, super-clean, quiet and sleeping was really comfortable. The breakfast was delicious with wide variety of choices regardless of time (we ate either on 6.30 or 9 a.m.), and again, efficient and ever-smiling staff ready to help. The location of hotel is great - steps away from the Tower of London, the Tower Hill underground station and the DLR station as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ondrej S
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My wife and I enjoyed all but one thing during our recent stay. Like previous posts - clean, spacious rooms, excellent bathroom, quiet and modern. 3 blocks to the tube. However, like most things in London, the restaurant was pricy. So we wanted to hit a local pub for a fish’n chips and a few beers. The concierge didn’t know of any except across the Thames – “maybe”. He claimed the area was business only. We asked the manager on duty and one other worker. Same response. So across the Thames we went only to find out the next night while strolling the area that there are at least 3 lively pubs within an 8 iron of the hotel. I can only guess their lack of local knowledge was to keep us in their own restaurant. For $350 a night, I expect more

2  Thank mickeyc
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This is the second time that I have stayed in this hotel and I have loved it both times. The hotel is very clean and modern and the breakfast is very nice. I am quite fussy about where I stay but was so glad that I chose the Apex City of London. The beds are the most comfortable that I have slept in and there is even a DVD library if you wanted to watch one in the room. The rooms were equiped with Elemis toileteries and lovely soft towels.

The weather whilst we were away was very wet and the hotel staff kindly gave us an umbrella to return that evening, nothing was too much trouble for the staff there.

If you would like a quite, classy hotel that is not pretentious stay here, but don't forget to take home your complementary duck!!

1  Thank Donna41Doncaster
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stayed for a long weekend for the marathon weekend and was impressed with all aspects of the Apex. Check in was quick (we arrives at 1530 on Friday) and the room was clean and big - great as we have found some rooms to be small when staying in London. The bathroom was a good size, only comment would b the water pressure in the shower was no te best and hot tap was slow when filling bath.

Staff were friendly bu could be bit quicker at breakfast and in the bar. Location was great for us with Tower Hill tube just round the corner.

I would thoroughly reccommend this hotel and will be rebooking for next years marathon.

1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed 27 April 2012

When first checking in during the day the staff were friendly and the rooms allocated (I think they were executive or deluxe?) were very nice, quiet, well stocked and very pleasant.

However the night staff we appalling to deal with, they were not helpful and seemed to take a hostile approach to any enquiries.

Breakfast was fine, service was slow and not always helpful but the selection was good. Prices seemed unreasonable however if not included in room price.

On second night, a family member joined us and so we asked for a twin room extra as previously we had a double; this was done with much reluctance, made complicated and the room given was dingy and awful, small and very low quality. If this was the room given on arrival we wouldnt have stayed.

Location is good if you need to be in the city. Tubes and london tower close by. May be a trek if you want to visit other parts of london though.

Room Tip: Rooms off to the right of the hotel, not off the main block were much much nicer.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family