“Super hotel! Why isn't it 5*?”

Apex City of London Hotel
Ranked #81 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“Super hotel! Why isn't it 5*?”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We booked this Hotel for the Olympics as the situation was excellent and the price was a good offer. Right next to the Tower of London, close to Underground station and DLR. We were upgraded on arrival to a lovely big room with excellent bathroom with bath and separate shower - perfect! Delicious breakfast with lots of choice and open till 11 a.m. so time for a lie in! We were so impressed we even got onto their mailing list, something we never normally do. Would highly recommend it!

1 Thank Petra J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 August 2012

First, let me tell you the good things about this hotel: great location, exceptional cleanliness in rooms, top sound system and friendly staff.

Now the not so good: on my July visit I had a complaint, I was ignored by the Restaurant Manager and kept waiting in a quiet breakfast service for seven minutes whilst he discussed his night out with staff. When I finally was seated, order taken some of it never arrived.

I'm quite a reasonable person so 'let it go' but was asked 'how was your stay' on checkout. I recalled my experience. I was asked to fill in a comment card as 'we take note if you write it down'. I did and also filled in the on line questionairre'

I've heard nothing!

Stayed a further two nights this week as I'm a forgiving guest but yet again was asked if everything was ok and when I stated I was still waiting for a response from two weeks ago all I got was 'oh I'm sorry about that' but no action apart from 'I'll tell my manager'.

I spoke to the Front Office Manager who knew nothing about the complaint but told me he puts all complaints on an excel spreadsheet and sends it to HQ in Edinburgh. At no point was me the guest mentioned nor was there any attempt to resolve my complaint : that's Edinburgh's job apparently!

He did a first class job in destroying my loyalty to Apex. I stay in hotels weekly.

I've left a voicemail on the MDs number and will report any update I receive which hopefully won't be by PowerPoint!

• Stayed August 2012
10 Thank BAManEdinburgh
England
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Found a late deal during the Olympics and it was very cheap given what it provided. The location was perfect, and we were upgraded to a room with a terrace on arrival. The room was immaculate and had everything you could ever want (including a nice seating area to watch the olympics). Excellent attention to small details, including Bose surround sound, and a lovely IPhone charger w/speakers next to the bed.
The bed was sooooo comfy and it was hard to rise in the mornings. Breakfast was good, with excellent poached eggs, which they managed in a very busy environment.
The gym was nice, just large enough but felt personal.
The staff were all delightful and happy to help, including the maid turn-down service.
We stayed the second weekend in a hilton (which we had booked in advance), paying nearly double and that was not a scratch on this hotel.
Would return whenever, many thanks.

Room Tip: ask for one with the terrace and a king bed!
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We booked this hotel with Great Escapes and for the price we paid it was great value.
It was friendly, clean and spacious. The decor was to a high standard also.
The location was great for the Olympics. From Saturday lunchtime and all day Sunday you can park free on the yellow line outside the hotel.
I had not come across Apex Hotels before but will look for them in future. Really could not have asked for more.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Midlands UK
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Being so close to the Tower of London housing the crown jewels, this hotel is a real gem too. The location is fantastic, being only a 5 minute walk from Tower Hill tube station. We stayed over the final weekend of the Olympics and managed to bag a great deal as part of the hotel chain's regular flash sales. The hotel itself was fabulous. The King size room included a separate seating area and large bath and walk in shower. The king size bed was very comfortable and the room was spotlessly clean. I also liked the complimentary Jelly Beans! All staff were very friendly and welcoming and the Guest Services Manager, Fabian, was very helpful allowing us to check in to an upgraded room well before the published check in time. I would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This hotel made our stay extra special in London during the Olympics, which we were lucky enough to have tickets for! We also managed to get a great deal on Secret Escapes for this hotel which made it even better!
We arrived before the recommended check in time and were welcomed by a lovely lady on reception who quickly and efficiently checked us in and told us that despite being early our room was ready.
The room was amazing! We expected the equivalent of the room we had at the Edinburgh Apex City Hotel which was beautiful and spotlessly clean. The room we got here was both exceptionally clean and comfortable but had the added bonus of a balcony with stunning views over the City and spectacular views of Tower Bridge!! Great bed which was really comfortable, bathroom was a good size for a London hotel with a big walk in shower and separate bath. Elemis toiletries were a nice touch and it was nice that they were of good quality.Air conditioning was good and we used it as the room was quite stuffy but the Air con sorted this in no time.
Location was second to none. We liked that it was tucked away and therefore had a sense of calm but you were only two minutes walk from a good tube station and one of Londons biggest tourist spots, Tower Bridge.
The food was delicious and we had room service. The food was piping hot and the members of staff who took our order and delivered the food up to our room were courteous and extremely efficient! The food itself was of reasonable price and of high quality. We had everything we needed on our tray and we really enjoyed our food.
The wifi was free and was a good speedy service. Nice hospitality tray in the room with tea (good selection English breakfast and a few different fruit teas) and coffee making facilities, snacks and bottled water. We also had a fridge, safe and plasma tv, all of which were easy to use and we had no problems with.
I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough it was fantastic! I will always check this hotel when visiting London in future. As a chain they have also created a brilliant impression on me and I wouldn't hesitate to book into any of their hotels.
As we were going to the olympics my only wish was that we had had more time in the room and hotel as it was so lovely! Also I am hoping that Apex open more hotels in different locations as i'd stay there without hesitation.
Thank you for making our Olympic experience perfect! We will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms on level 7 have balconies with stunning views over the City and Tower Bridge
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

With tickets for the Olympics, we were looking for a hotel close to a DLR station to make our journey to/from the park as pleasant as possible. We booked this on Secret Escapes and were amazed at the location and quality (99 pounds a night as a secret hotel versus the 404 pounds on their website). A stone's throw from the Tower of London and Tower Bridge yet quiet enough to believe you were in the country. Staff could not have done enough for us when we arrived, tired and drained from a day at the Olympic park/evening of athletics. Rooms are kingsize as standard so they're even better value for money. Our room had a bath almost big enough to swim in! We're hoping to visit Edinburgh soon and try their hotel there. Our only gripe was the 20 pounds per person breakfast charge (that's cities for you...), but we found an alternative within 5 minutes' walk (The Kitchen).

1 Thank tintinrules