“Lovely”

Ranked #74 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Really pleased with our stay at apex city of London, great location, comfy spacious bed & a good size room. We would definitely stay here again.

If you are coming on a Friday/Saturday night the restraunts around the area get very busy so I recommend that you book unless you want to wait until 10pm to have some food!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Purchased from Travel zoo, so had the room at a discounted rate. It was beautiful, great facilities, furniture etc were really lovely. Staff couldnt have been more helpful. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to come back!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I always stay at an Apex when I am in Edinburgh so I thought that I would give the Apex London a go. Great Hotel lovely polite friendly and helpful staff. I only wish Apex were all over the UK as I would always chose them. Excellent value for money and consistently excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely double room that was very spacious for London hotels. The bathroom was huge with a bath and seperate shower with Elemis toiletries. Only criticism was the sink has nowhere to keep the soap and it was impossible to put it down - we had to use a glass in the end! We had breakfast in the restaurant which was okay but I object to being auto charged a tip for someone to deliver me cold, burnt toast and a pot of coffee. Breakfast was good quality and tasty.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Saty for the business trip. The only really good thing about this hotel is a location. Close the tube and London City. A new building is constructed nearby and works are starts at 7.30, so it was really annoying when you try to sleep after hard drinking night with clients. Right at the check-in is was charged for the whole stay + extras which i might teke.... And tugether with all that - even a breakfast is not included. That is something i never met even in 3 start hotels.

Room Tip: Probably there are none as from the one side of a hotel a new building is constructed and on the oth...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Christian V
RobertFlinter, General Manager at Apex City of London Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Christian V

I am sorry that you feel that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. While it is true that there is building works taking place near the hotel, the times and volume of noise is strictly controlled by the City of London. We do also have many rooms that face away from the new building sites. It is our standard practice to authorise a credit card on arrival for the amount of the room and any extras. This also facilitates a smooth checkout for many of our guests. I can only apologise if it was not explained fully and correctly to you on check in. While we do not include breakfast in all of our rates to give customers flexibility, there is always the option to include breakfast in a rate.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Kind regards

Robert Flinter
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here at the end of November as a late wedding anniversary getaway/Christmas shopping trip. When we arrived at the hotel (just round the corner from Tower Hill tube station), the door was opened for us by a member of staff on the door and we were greeting by a very friendly, very efficient receptionist. We received a £10 voucher to use on drinks or food as we had booked directly through them and a month in advance. Our room wasn't quite ready as we arrived around noon, but she took out number and text us when it was ready. We left our bags at the front desk and they were waiting in our room when we arrived back at the hotel.

The room we booked was a Superior Double Room with small balcony for £129 for the night, when we got into our room, we were actually given a Deluxe Double room with seating area and huge balcony with seating and parasol at no extra charge! The room was spacious, there were complimentary crisps, biscuits, jellybeans and drinks and in the bathroom there was an array of Elemis products to use. The bathroom was big with a walk-in shower and seperate bath.

The room was air conditioned which was a little noisy but not enough to keep us awake, and the room was soundproof. There wasn't much lighting in the room itself, but there was in the bathroom.

Before heading out for the evening, we headed to the bar for a drink before deciding where to go and ordered a bottle of Bollinger. The staff were very friendly and attentive, they even brought over a dish of nuts and a some strawberries. Very nice touch.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, we popped into The Liberty Bounds, Tower Hill round the corner.

All in all, a very ejoyable stay and have been recommending to friends. It's the attention to detail and attentiveness of the staff that make a lasting impression. Very good value for money (if booking in advance and directly through the hotel). Will definitely be staying there next time we're in London.

Room Tip: Book a Deluxe Double for extra space, seating area and balcony area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I have stayed many times (over 50) at the Apex London Wall, and enjoyed it. This was my first time at the London City venue and it was terrible.

In summary: it was a corporate booking secured on a corporate credit card. My wife arrived before I did and was forced to allow pre-authorisation (for the wrong - higher - amount) on her personal credit card. Entirely inappropriate.

When booking , directly with the hotel, I was asked if I wanted a quiet room, and answered yes. Had they said that this would be in the basement, with the only natural light from a filthy skylight at one end of the room, I would have objected.

The quietness was a fallacy. Neither my wife nor I slept all night as the heating / air conditioning unit started and stopped, whined noisily and generally made a racket all night.

There were urine stains behind the lavatory seat.

£312 entirely wasted and a complaint is on its way.

Room Tip: Ideally choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Adrian B
Dear aj t

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations or compare favourably with our sister property.
I would like to apologise for any confusion regarding your wife's credit card upon check in. We normally authorise a credit card for the room rate plus extras on check if the account is to be paid directly. If this was not explained sufficiently, I apologise, and I can assure you I will follow up with the team.
I appreciate you pointing out the issue with the air conditioning unit and other issues and I can assure you that we are dealing with it and it is not indicative of our normal standards.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Robert Flinter