“Great stay - as always”

Ranked #82 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Ingatestone, United Kingdom
“Great stay - as always”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We are Apex Hotel fans and have stayed in all their London hotels . This is our second visit here . Our reception on registering in was welcoming ,cheerful and efficient. We like the room décor which is common to their London hotels. Breakfast gave a superb choice and the waiting staff were a credit to the organisation.. The hotel is well positioned for easy travel to the West End whether by bus or tube. It is also minutes walk from the Tower of London, ,St Katherines Dock, Shad Thames et al. One day we will try one of their Scottish hotels. When are they going to open in West London ?

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ALANJL55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

The room upgrade offered on arrival was just the start of a great stay. Room was spacious, as was the bathroom which included a walk in shower and free standing bath. Each bathroom had a complimentary rubber duck which you are encouraged to take away with you and photograph when you are out and about which was a lovely, quite quirky idea. We chose not to include breakfast as we like to try somewhere different, there is a fabulous place to either grab something on the go or to eat in just a 2 min walk away called the Natural Kitchen. Location is great, near the Tower of London and just a few mins from the Tower Hill tube station. Great bar next door called The Draft House. The modern hotel is built right up against a tiny old church, St Olaves which has a lot of history; the first 3 people that died from the great plague are buried here. We were having a look around the tiny churchyard when waiting for friends and the got talking to the verger who took us in and showed us around and down to the crypt where Samuel Pepys is buried. A very fortunate experience of being in the right place at the right time. On the first night at the hotel the fire alarm did go off just as we had gone to sleep on the first night but thankfully it was a false alarm and we hadn't actually left the room before it stopped!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kate W
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at the Apex City of London for my wife's birthday. The staff were warm, welcoming and went out of their way to make our stay a good one. They succeeded in every way from giving us an upgrade to a room with a view of Tower Bridge and to sending a birthday cake to the room as a surprise. We are regular theatre-goers and have now stayed at all three Apex London Hotels and have never been disappointed

Room Tip: Ask for a high room overlookinng Tower Bridge
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephen w
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I rarely write reviews on trip advisor but this hotel just stood out for me on every level. On arrival we were upgraded to a superior room free of charge. The room was beautiful, modern and very spacious. We also received a £10 give card to use in the hotel as a thanks to say thanks for booking directly from our website. We couldn't use this for breakfast which was a slight disappointment but we ended up getting a chocolate cake and a few drinks and put extra money towards it. Dessert was presented beautifully. We didn't eat in the hotel as it was quite expensive and we were on a budget but seen a few plates with food and it looked amazing! Staff were always polite and smiled and always there to assist with anything. I needed a new hair dryer and it was brought to my room seconds later. I loved the location of the hotel, I've been to London many times and prefer to stay out of the centre. This hotel is out of the centre but its a 2 min walk away from tower hill tube station which was ideal for us. It is also a 5 min walk away from Tower Bridge and The Crown Jewels. Perfect location for myself out of the business but easily transport into the centre. The hotel isn't on a main street so it is quiet and not noisy so you get a good nights sleep. The bed we have was just out of this world!!!! was huge and so comfortable, I would return to the hotel for the bed alone!!! The room was also just perfect for me bed, sitting area and very nice, modern bathroom with a bath and separate shower which is a nice added extra. Walking round London all day and coming home to a nice bubble bath. The rooms had quirky touches that I loved like pringles, hot chocolate and jelly beans! I love the jellybeans!!! T.V is also huge an located well in the room. There is also a safe which was easy to use. I was excited about the Apex duck and in my room I got a special Christmas duck and YOU GET TO KEEP THE DUCK!!! I thought this was another nice added extra.I just loved everything about this hotel it hit all the spots for me and was just beautiful! I would recommend this hotel and will definitely return myself. Like I said before it is not often I write reviews for hotels but felt this hotel deserved one, it added to my holiday!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie F
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Saw all the reviews and score..was slightly dubious but managed to score a great price so stayed and did not regret it. This is a really really nice hotel. The bathrooms are fantastic as is the housekeeping and general service. It's not huge so manages to feel quite personal. Free wifi and snacks are a nice touch and the breakfast offerings were brilliant.
For tourists, it is also super close to London Bridge, the Tower of London, and importantly, the Tower Hill tube stop on the circle line so incredibly convenient.
Would absolutely recommend and also stay there again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Yellow Springs, OH
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had good and bad experiences here. When we checked in, we were shocked at the small size of the room and the terrible view of the offices we were looking straight into from our window. Also, we had booked two rooms, one for our teenage sons, so we wanted to be on the same floor and we weren't. I called and asked to be switched and moved to the same floor and to better rooms with a view and was told "no, those rooms are for guests staying for extended visits". So I asked how long and extended visit was? "Five or six days", was the answer. We had two rooms for seven nights, and when I brought this to management's attention they told me that people pay extra for rooms with views. But there was no option for this on the website, and the person I was speaking with apologized for this. Truly, a bizarre conversation. The room we got was tiny. So small we couldn't unpack our bags. No dresser and miniscule closet space. Nice bathroom and bed was comfy. At least they managed to put us on the same floor.
Another strange thing was the quality of the concierge service. They were either amazing (the daytime woman) or really terrible. One gave us directions to the wrong place. Another one refused to call a pub to see if they were open on New Years day. She told us to walk, it wasn't far. We did, in the rain, and it was closed. When I went back to get another pub recommendation she again suggested I walk, because it wasn't far. This time I insisted she call and she did. No one answered. So we went on this way.
The breakfast buffet was good but some days they ran out of food and it took a while to replenish.
I was surprised this hotel got the rating it did. We travel a lot and on this trip we were with relatives who were staying at the Andaz which gets a similar rating as the Apex. But there is really no camparison. The Andaz is head and shoulders above this hotel in terms of service, consistency and quality.
You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: You will have to pay extra for a decent room here. If you don't mind a cell, this might be the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gabriele
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I was on a tour of UK and stayed in a few different hotels. Apex London is up there with the best. What I like is the room is new, clean, spacious and comfortable. Location wise , it is near to Tower Hill underground station. So it's convenient to use the metro. It near Tower Bridge. London is big so there is no one convenient place for all places. What I find lacking are restaurants or eateries that operates at night. It's a little quiet at night. And there isn't any convenience store nearby. However, those doesn't make my stay any less pleasant. Enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed January 2014