* Please note that I would have given the hotel a 4.5 star rating if possible due to the bed, but decided to round up in stars instead of down because the overall experience was really positive. *
After a 10 hour flight, a long tube ride, and then dragging our heavy suitcases up the stairs from the Tower Hill Underground station, my hubby and I were pretty exhausted; so we were pretty happy that it only ended up being a 0.1 mile walk to our hotel. The gentleman who checked us in was friendly and efficient. (I think his name was Mark)
I didn't have a chance to explore the hotel grounds beyond the lobby, but what I saw was aesthetically pleasing, tidy, and modern. We were given a room off the 4th floor with windows facing the front of the street, which had an old church and office buildings further back. Although the room was small, it did not feel cramped. Honestly I was expecting something comically tight since I kept reading about hotel rooms in Europe being itty bitty, so I was pleasantly surprised. The bathroom was definitely spacious and was almost the size of the small sleeping area. I loved that the tub and the shower were separate, and that there was a roomy shelf to put all your toiletries.
If you didn't bring a hair dryer, they provide one, but I found it in the closet rather than in the bathroom. the electric kettle and coffee/tea supply was in the closet as well with the mini fridge. An ironing board and iron were also provided, which I didn't think the hotel would carry. I really liked that they didn't stock munchies/drinks you could purchase at an outrageous price in your room. Everything they did provide was free: bottle of flat water, bottle of mineral water, coffee, tea, hot cocoa, and cookies or biscuits to go with the drink. There was a restaurant and bar right in the lobby if you wanted something more substantial, and a ton of eateries and a Starbucks nearby. (I recommend their local chain called Wagamama if you're looking for a casual place to grab a bite. It's one block over and across the main cross street.)
One thing I especially liked about the room was that there were PLENTY of available electrical outlets to plug in our plethora of electronic devices. The desk had a huge power strip built in right on top, so you didn't have to go poking around under the desk.
It was great having a king sized bed like we have at home, but the only thing I'd knock a half star off for was that it wasn't the comfiest bed. The mattress could have benefited from being flipped over. That being said, it wasn't uncomfortable enough to keep us up at night.
We overall had a fantastic stay, and the Apex City of London was amazingly situated in the heart of London.
If you do end up using the hotel, here's the self-guided walking tour I used that was perfect for that specific area: http://www.walklondon.com/london-walks/pool-of-london-walk.htm
I also highly recommend using the City Mapper app on your smart phone to get around easily. We never had to ask for directions thanks to it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Apex City of London Hotel provides memorable stays in the heart of London. It’s known for its friendly and warm welcome from check-in right through to check-out. You’ll be well looked after during your stay with a team on hand to answer all of your questions and help plan your visit. The hotel is located in central London, close to Tower Bridge, and is just a 30-minute trip on the DLR from London City Airport. The natural light that filters through floor-to-ceiling windows in the contemporary restaurant, lounge and bar area makes this hotel a great place to meet, eat or relax. Each bedroom features a 40” LCD TV with Sky channels and complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi for all of your personal devices. You’ll also get complimentary Elemis toiletries and a hair dryer in your room meaning you can travel light. The hotel has three meeting rooms available and a Technogym featuring cardio and weights equipment making it perfect for business stays away from home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Lastminute, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Apex City of London Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex City Of London Hotel London
- Apex City Hotel London
- Apex City London Hotel
- Apex Hotel London