Apex City of London Hotel
    Very Good 4/5
    • Pool
    • Bar/Lounge
    4,244 results
    All reviewstower hill tube stationrubber duckgreat hoteljelly beanselemis toiletrieswalk in showerbusiness districtdeluxe roompret a mangerminute walkcircle linefree upgradecontinental breakfastmodern hotelquiet locationwest endweekend break
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 2 November 2008

the staff were simply faultless always helpful, smiling and only to happy to give advice or directions. the hotel was very clean, roomy and well furnished. in short I travel quite a bit reference work and I can say I woun't stay anywhere else in london other than the apex. their bigest asset their STAFF

Stayed: October 2008
    1  Thank PortaferryPilgrim
    Reviewed 31 October 2008

I booked this hotel solely because of the reviews I had read here on TripAdvisor. The occasion was my husband's 50th Birthday, and I wanted to make sure everything went smoothly.

I booked through the hotel website, and added some extras to the stay to add to the weekend.

Some things weren't in place when we checked in, but sales manager Scott, really couldn't have done any more to ensure that the rest of our stay was perfect, and for that we are very grateful.

About the rooms; ours was a 'deluxe', and very spacious. Climate control quiet and effective. Great bed and pillows, sumptious robes. Quirky little expresso maker in our room was fun and love my Apex duck! (Nice touch).

The lighting in this hotel is wonderful, and almost forces you into a relaxed state. The decor is chic and understated. Artwork is good, and if you don't like the COW then you are truly sad!

Restaurant food is reasonably priced, brekkie less so, but worth it...Paul the host is charming and welcoming. My husband was off to see the American Football on the first morning and to get into the theme of the day he tried the pancakes, bacon and syrup - said they were great!

Any crits? I think maybe some of the reception staff could do with being a little more welcoming, not everyone visiting is a businessman on an expenses account, and a warm greeting makes a lasting impression.

Oh, nearly neglected to add, great location, quiet street, 5 minutes from Tower Hill tube, Whitechapel and the famous Jack The Ripper walk close by! Petticoat Lane market 5 mins walk away on a Sunday morning...great!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
      • Check-in / front desk
      • Business service (e.g., internet access)
    1  Thank Quinonostante
    Reviewed 30 October 2008

Great location for business trip. All hotels in London are small and expensive. The pictures are a good representation of what you will experience. The place is newer with ok but small rooms. Can't see how two people would share a room of ths size. I like the separate stall shower. Not a great deal of hot water in the morning. Good food for London. BK up at the train station for US travelers. I arrived on a Sunday night and no internet through mid morning Monday. The desk tried to blame this on their "service" and suggested I call them, what BS. A business hotel needs to get the internet working at these rates, even on a Sunday. Good choice overall.

Stayed: October 2008
    Reviewed 29 October 2008

The hotel reception and bar look very nice and modern.

The room was very nice as well.
    It was nice to have a dvd player and plasma screen in the room and also a good hairdryer for once.
    The hairdryer proved especially useful since we had the following problems:
    1) No heating in the bathroom – it was freezing cold. I had the quickest showers ever;
    2) When using any towel we ended up covered in white fluff and as wet as before…I ended up drying my face with toilet paper and drying the rest with the hairdryer (our friends shared the same problems due to the dodgy towels);

The worst part however was breakfast.
    We just wanted to enjoy a simple English breakfast. Not such a weird request since we were in London.
    If I had known what a struggle it was going to be, I would have gone down the local pub.
    We were asked by the person in charge (breakfast room manager perhaps?) about 5 times what our room number was…then he showed us to our table we were just left there with no consideration at all.
    After about 10 minutes we managed to get on of the waiters’ attention … after being asked about 3 more times what our room number was, he left telling us where the buffet was. The buffet, which was not in the same room we were sitting in, didn’t have the English cooked breakfast food we wanted - it was a cold buffet.
    He didn't bother telling us that, if we wanted a fry up/toast/tea/coffee, we had to order it from him – so we just waited patiently and finally, another 10 minutes later, we managed to place our order.
    We asked the breakfast room manager guy to put the bill on our room (by now you would have thought he knew the number by heart). However, when we left the breakfast room he came running after us, waving the bill in the air as if we were trying to do a runner……………
    NO COMMENT - if you want breakfast just head to Starbucks or to a pub! Surely you will find friendlier and more helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
      • Check-in / front desk
      • Business service (e.g., internet access)
    Reviewed 28 October 2008

Overall, this was a great hotel and I loved the feel of the place. On arrival, at 9.00am, having taken the sleeper train from Scotland, they couldn't allocate me a room, which I half-expected, but they were happy to look after my luggage and I used the beautiful and well-equipped bathrooms downstairs from reception to get changed. Nice soaps, toiletries, hankies etc.

Arriving back later in the day, my room was actually upgraded from that which I booked, so I had a superior double room for just me! (This was a Saturday night). The room was spacious, had a separate couch/TV/work area away from the bed, which itself was pretty big. Didn't have the over-supply of pillows and accoutrements that so often annoys me in other up-market hotels. Room was air-conditioned and I wasn't cold at all leaving it on all night, even in October.

The bathroom had a walk-in (no stepping over) shower and a separate bath, both of which were very clean. There were four full-size bottles of toiletries - lemon scrub body wash, tea-tree shampoo, moisturiser and something else (didn't use them all!) I also liked the nice rubber-ducky in the bath!

Breakfast was served on Sunday between 7 and 11 am. I was told when I arrived at the breakfast room (itself very nice) that I was having a continental buffet breakfast. Others seemed to be feasting on individually-cooked full English breakfasts so I asked and was told that apparently the rate I booked with my travel agent only included continental! Anyway, the buffet was pretty good, with one highlight being a lovely chef-made natural yoghurt with pineapple compote; also a great selection of cheeses, meats, nice, freshly-made croissants and pains-au-chocolat.

The location was great for me. It's only 2 minutes' walk to Tower Hill tube station, from where you can get the Circle and District lines all over the city. So, it's not central, but it might as well be, because transport is so conveniently located.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo