“Fantastic break away ”

Apex City of London Hotel
Ranked #85 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here at the end of July and had a fabulous time. The staff, as mentioned in most reviews, are amazing . We had just arrived and headed up to our room when we got a knock at the door and presented with a birthday cake and card for my husbands birthday. We also got a free upgrade on check in too. Very sweet and most appreciated. The room was beautiful, all mod cons and no complaints at all. We didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on the food. The location is brilliant, close to London bridge and the tower hill tube stop. Lots of nice places to eat close by too. I recommend All Bar One on the corner. We had a lovely breakfast there one morning, really good French toast!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Joanne S
Simon D, General Manager at Apex City of London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Joanne S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to London to celebrate such a special occasion. We were delighted that you enjoyed the quality of your complimentary upgraded room product and the added extra of a birthday cake for your husband's birthday. We hope that these little extras went some way in making the stay that bit more special.

Thank you very much for such glowing comments regarding our team. We are very fortunate to have such committed and passionate people working with us and they were delighted that their efforts in ensuring a personal approach made for a memorable trip.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon and do remember when booking to visit our direct website for our best rates and package deals.

Yours sincerely,

Simon Davis

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here in a family room and we weren't disappointed. Comfy beds, spacious enough rooms. Loads of complimentary items, rooms cleaned daily and always asked if we needed anything else if staff caught us in our room later on in day. Ate 1 night in the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed the food and ordered b/fast in our room on our last morning. Came on time and was delicious (only thing we didn't like was the scrambled egg my daughter ordered but then kids got free b/fast so that made up for that) All staff were polite and really lovely to talk to. Overall I can't fault this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Family Deluxe room on 5th floor was facing a building site but we were not bothered by view as out m...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I booked the Apex City Hotel to celebrate my partner's birthday, upon arrival at the reception we checked in and were greeted with a warm welcome by friendly staff who were very customer focused. We were also very pleasantly surprised when they advised us that due to celebrating my partner's birthday they upgraded us to a superior suite for free!

Upon entering the room, it was lovely, a balcony with the a view of the tower bridge in the distance, very comfy bed with excellent technology and shower facilities.

We let the room to explore London and on our return they staff had place a box of chocolates and a card in the room to wishing my girlfriend a happy birthday, it was a very thoughtful gesture.

I also requested, prior to booking, that they source a birthday cake and bring it up to the room in the morning at 9am. At 9am the next day we had a gentle knock on the door, allowing me to sneak up and get the cake, candles and all to surprise my girlfriend, they didn't even charge for the cake even though I was willing to pay!

Overrall, a very pleasant experience, friendly staff, extremally customer focused - would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HampshireFarmer80
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Really nice hotel in the middle of the city. If there was any criticism than it would be around staff and technology. So I could not have a conference call easily as my phone did not work The offered me that I can call out without any charges. The bar staff clearly needs to step up a gear (not all of them). This means, that I waited one day 30 minutes outside the bar without anyone noticing. I then had to go inside to tell them that I was there. The food is good when you order it from the real dinner menu and not from the snack menu. (From 6 pm). One Morning at breakfast they did not notice that I did not have any coffee and I had to ask them if I could get some. And finally: I had a very dark room, so maybe explore first what room it is you are getting (and what the view is). But I also met staff that went over the odds to find me addresses of Restaurants, etc...

Room Tip: Ask for the view!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The City is underserved with decent places to stay. Sure... there's a few hotels in the same area as the Apex, down towards Tower Hill (the likes of the Novotel, the Grange and the Double Tree) and there's the Tower Bridge Hilton over the river if you're willing to travel a bit further..... but for me the Apex clinches it (and I’ve stayed in them all over the last few years). Here's my reasons..... it’s close to the action, you can be on Fenchurch Street in less than a minute and most places in the lower part of the City inside of ten. It has a good restaurant and bar if you want to eat-in (the burger is always good, but the a la carte is nice too), and it’s close to a few good pubs and eateries if you want to go for a wander (ranging from spit-and-sawdust joints like the Hung Drawn and Quartered - 2 mins walk, through the high street chains like Wagamama, Pizza Express and GBK - 4 mins. and a couple of white table cloth places like Brasserie Blanc - 1 min round the corner). For those coming to sightsee rather than work – it’s a short walk to the Tower of London, the river taxi pier and Tower Hill tube. It has a decent enough gym in the basement, which is never too crowded and has free weights as well as CV equipment. The bedrooms, even the lower end ones, are spacious and the bathrooms all have a large walk-in shower with decent toiletries to avoid bringing everything with you. The staff are super-friendly, from the team behind the desk through to the guys in the bar and restaurant. So, if you’re looking for the best of the hotels in the city / Tower of London area then, for me, you can’t go wrong with the Apex.

Room Tip: Higher floors have some balconies, which are nice (but I think you have to pay). The newer side of t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in a City Double Room for a weekend away. Very nice and spacious room, in a central Location. Nice modern hotel with all the facilities you would expect. Perfect location for exploring the city of London. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for two weeks in July 2014. The room was nicely furnished and comfortable. Large selection of TV channels and DVDs you can borrow. Good location and base for my many meetings during the working week. Many restaurants to choose from during the week in the area but it is very quiet at the weekend with many of the restaurants and shops not open. Close to the Thames and underground stations. The staff were very attentive and welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business