“Excellent stay”

Ranked #82 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Wilmslow Cheshire England
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Just had a very enjoyable stay at the Apex, chosen because of the reviews on this site. We stayed just one night, and found the staff, room and service hard to fault. The feel is modern, with some nice views towards The Gherkin. The hotel is within a two minute walk from Tower Hill tube, and close to the Tower of London. The location is quiet, a couple of pubs close by.

Our room was 'superior', we got a free upgrade, and was not huge, but was perfect for two.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Just returned from a weekend stay here and have nothing but praise for the place.
The location was great - 2 mins walk from Tower Hill tube for easy access to the whole of London and being in the "city" it was very quiet at night.
We booked the Deluxe King room on the top floor, which was fantastic. It was so nice to have a modern hotel room for a change, rather than the typical old fashioned rooms one gets used to. The view out of our window over Tower Bridge was especially good - and all for about the same price as a basic box room in the west end. Look no further.

GREECE
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Everything is Ok with this hotel. Clean, luxurious, continental breakfast very rich, free Wi-Fi, Complimentary newspapers, room service, location.
Would recommend and would stay again!

1 Thank G_ZGreece
Sunny Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We stayed here in a City King room based on the reviews of this site and I wasn't disappointed at all! The room was just around the corner from the Tower Tube Station and made life easy getting to anywhere in the city (we bought a 3 day Tube pass, so we hopped on and off it all day). The Tower of London and the nice river walk is very close. When we arrived in London after traveling 18 hours with no sleep, I didn't think I was going to have the energy to do anything that first day. After checking into our hotel, taking a shower (nice shower and bathroom) and a little nap in the comfy bed I was ready to go. First stop was the Tower of London since it was right there (get the 2-4-1 deal on the web).
I enjoyed the location and the nearby pubs (financial district felt safe, even at night). It was nice to relax after a long day of running around London. The bed, A/C, bathroom, and shower were great. The staff was also wonderful and really helpful. We did have the continental included and I found it to be very filling, and was a healthy start to the day. We didn't order from the menu, so I can't comment on that other than did look a bit expensive, but that's just London. We saved my money for nice dining experience elsewhere in the country during our trip and ate at the hotel for breakfast, cafes for lunch and pub for dinner. We was on the 7th floor, so I outside on the walk around I had a great view of the Tower Bridge (especially at night with all the lights).
If I had any "non-positives", it would be the room wasn't very big. It was just big enough to get around in, but it did have a corner chair, a desk and a nice flat screen TV on the wall. There was a good sized closet, small frig and a safe. I went to London with the impression of the rooms being average to small sized compared to other places, so I wasn't surprised. The bathroom was a nice size though, bigger than my guest bathroom at home by far.

HINT- Watch their website for deals and book way ahead of time. We got a great deal and saved 50% with a promotion that was going on.

2 Thank Partigal
orlandoflorida
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We arrived at Gatwick at 6:30am this past June 10, 2009, and had arranged for London Country Tours to transfer us to Apex City London. We dropped our luggage at the hotel and had a short half a block walk to the Tower of London. They checked us in and held our luggage in a secure area until our return. The bell service was outstanding, and were a great help on our departure as well, that included calling our transportation service when they were a bit late picking us up.

We spent a few hours at Tower of London, and returned to Apex City to relax in our rooms; we had booked two rooms. One for the teenagers, and one for the adults.

The rooms were clean, and spacious, with a large bathroom with separate bath and shower. There was an outlet to convert to our 120v for a shaver, as well as overhead speakers from the TV if wanted; I have never encountered that in a hotel bathroom before. The supplied shampoo, conditioner and lotion were in large 125ml bottles. The rooms had free wifi service, a small refrigerator, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, and a digital safe. The service of our room was outstanding.

The continental breakfast included a tray of cold cuts, salmon, and cheeses, as well as fruit, cereal and pastries; more than adequate for us to eat in the morning.

Walking towards the Tower, there were at least three pubs, two of which had good food menues. Two to three blocks in the other direction takes one to the Fenchurch Train Station, and Fenchurch Street were I was able to find a Jessop's Camera Store to purchase a battery charger for my camera. There are a couple ATM's at bank branches there as well. Fenchurch Station had a drug store for toiletries and softdrinks and water, and if one really had to have american fast food...a Burger King.

The location was great for our purposes in proximity to The Tower of London. Besides the Tower tour, we had arranged tickets for The Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower . The ceremony was over by 11pm, and it was a short walk to our hotel after it was over. Transportation to the rest of London was quite easy from the Tower Hill Tube Station two blocks away, or the Thames River Boat that has a stop at The Tower of London pier. The boat trip up the Thames to Westminster Pier by Big Ben was a nice sightseeing tour from the river. We had been asked why we would pick the East End as opposed to West End of London to stay, and the proximity to the Tower of London was the answer.

The Apex City London provided us a quiet, modern hotel for our chosen location by the Tower of London, and insured that our vist to London would be filled with many fond memories on this first stop on our European vacation.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The fact that this hotel gets such great reviews made the choice of staying here very easy. I have always stayed in budget accommodation when visiting London before but got such an excellent rate for the Apex I went ahead and booked it for 2 nights.

The hotel is in a great location just a very short walk to Tower Hill underground station and very easy to find. It is in a great location for the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, St. Paul’s etc. I stayed here on the weekend so I imagine this area of London is probably much quieter than it would be mid week which isn’t altogether a bad thing.

Checking in was straight forward and hassle free. My room was located on the top floor of the hotel. Didn’t have any spectacular views but the room was lovely and very bright, had a very comfortable bed and the bathroom was lovely with a separate bath tub and shower and generous sized toiletries were provided. I didn't spend an awful lot of time in the hotel.

Breakfast was included in my rate but only a continental breakfast I was told when I arrived down in the morning and if I wanted an English breakfast I was told I had to pay extra. This annoyed me a little. So I just had the continental breakfast and I felt there could have been a much better selection to choose from at the buffet. The breakfast room was a little on the small side and filled up very quickly but it was nice and bright and the staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Nottingham
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Excellent accommodation and well located. Staff are friendly and helpful - Tube and Tower of London on the doorstep. If dining out there is a good choice of restaurants within walking distance either side of Tower Bridge.
Loved the rubber duck!!