“Great hotel, shame we only stayed one night”

Apex City of London Hotel
Ranked #76 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, shame we only stayed one night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

Last minute booking through Apex reservations (they were great in themselves) which turned into a real treat. Is a very smart / chic hotel from when walking in. As a pleasant surprise, reservations had upgraded us to a deluxe room on the top floor, and what a room! with some lovely touches that really do make it stand out. My partner loved the complimentary pringles, i fell in love with the 42" TV and bose sound system. Bed was gorgeous and very comfy. Had no noise so a very good nights sleep. Bathroom was good with a separate walk in shower and everything was spotless. Only had one night, wish we could've stayed longer as would love to have used the bar and restaurant more. Check in desk were very pleasant and efficient (I love it when they say "welcome back!") Thank you Apex for reminding me what a hotel stay should be like.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

Having arrived early in the morning after a long flight , the friendly staff accomodated my request for an early check-in to allow me to get cleaned up. No matter who I dealt with at the hotel, everyone was so pleasant and accomodating. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and allowed a good night rest. They have understood the needs of business travellers in accomodating fast internet connections at no additional charge ( how I detest those hotels that still charge an additional amount !) . The breakfasts were pleasant and afforded a good start to the day close to the financial district !

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights for a birthday weekend to London. We were upgraded to a delux room and it was fantastic. There was lots of space and the sofa meant that one night we chose to have room service and chill out with a DVD. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived but we were early but we went for a bite to eat at all bar one and they sent us a text to tell us our room was ready. The small touches like the water, chocolates and the duck make this place feel far more expensive than it is. I would definitely return and recommend to friends and family.

I would upgrade to the full breakfast rather the choice was excellent. I really enjoyed the pancakes, eggs florentine and the braveheart breakfast.

The location is good although the circle line is never the most reliable! The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

While the rooms were very comfortable and large by London standards, they were also quite noisy due to full glass windows on a street with constant roadworks. I complained but they were overbooked so I couldn't move rooms. I began to get frustrated with the staff because I'd had an absolutely amazing experience at the Apex London Wall, and was really hoping this hotel offered the same quality of service and care. It did not. Registration was confused, no one knew how to answer simple questions.

Would not stay here again, rather, hope to get into the London Wall location.

Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

Fantastic stay in a great hotel. Staff are welcoming and professional from the moment we entered. Room had all that we needed. Breakfast was fantastic, great choice and a very welcoming team who's customer service could not be faulted, especially Eric the supervisor.

Will return

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

If you're looking for a quiet, clean, modern, nice place in the City of London at a price that's much lower than its competitors, this is your place.

I spend a weekend here, and will definitely come back. The rate was outstanding compared to similar area hotels--I paid around £95 (plus taxes) per night. I've spent more twice that for hotels in the City of London that weren't as comfortable.

The room had a very modern and attractive decor, with very comfortable bedding, a large and very nice flat-screen TV with DVD player, a sofa, nice other furniture, and a luxurious bathroom with a separate tub and large walk-in shower. By London standards, the room was quite large. The only thing it didn't have was, curiously enough, a window--this was a ground-floor room and the only opening to the outside was a skylight. But while it was a bit dark, it was also quiet and cozy. I felt very much at home there.

The room also featured free wi-fi internet access. This is a true rarity for nice hotels like this, which (unlike cheap places, where wi-fi is often free) so often gouge their guests for internet access. And the wi-fi signal was strong and fast.

The hotel and the room were immaculately clean, and service was excellent, except for one little hiccup: There was hardly any toilet paper left on the roll when I checked in, and there was no extra roll left. It quickly ran out, and even then the housekeeped did not leave a new roll and I had to go to the front desk to ask for one. This small blemish aside, the service was good.

I don't often eat in hotel restaurants because they tend to be both boring and overpriced, but arriving late on a rainy evening when other nearby places were closing I decided to try the hotel's restaurant, Addendum, for dinner. I'm glad I did. The food was very good, and the prices were quite reasonable, especially as compared to most other hotel restaurants.

All in all, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Apex City of London. There's a reason it's highly-rated on this site.

Dunstable, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

This was our second stay and I cannot fault this hotel. We arrived early and our room was ready. We had an excellent rate booked through the hotel for a deluxe room with continental breakfast. The room was large, clean and very well equipped. I had requested a high floor which gave us a view of the top of Tower Bridge! This hotel is so convenient for the Tower of London which is literally just across the road. The only drawback as far as we were concerned was the tube was once again completely messed up due to 'engineering works' which meant a longer walk from Bank Station whilst Tower Hill was closed but the weather was fine so it was not a problem. When Tower Hill station is open the hotel is just a stones throw away. We had a bit of a hiccup with the breakfast as the reastaurant manager got confused with our breakfast deal and remember to ask for toast when you sit down otherwise you may get it at the end of your meal ! We love this hotel and will definintely return again. The Apex London Wall is also extremely good in the heart of the city.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple