“great hotel near tower of London”

Apex City of London Hotel
Ranked #88 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 February 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and it was absolutely wonderful. The rooms were very nice and clean, but they weren't that big which was ok. Great location right near the tower of london and very close to the tube. The staff was very helpful when I had any questions on where to eat or what to see. I would definitely come back here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 February 2011

We chose to stay at this hotel based on all the good reviews it received from other travelers. It was a bit hard to find, but when we walked in, it was a very relaxing ambiance. We were greeted with a smile from the front desk, and we got checked into our room quickly. When we arrived to our room, it was on the 1st floor. I have a thing againt staying on the 1 floor (I don't know why), so I immediately called the front desk and asked them if we could be put on a higher floor. They said there was an upgraded room available on the 4th floor and we could have it at no extra charge. They sent someone up to take us to the new room, and he was there withing 2 minutes. When we arrived at our room, we were dumbfounded. The room was huge with a sofa, office desk, mini-fridge, flat screen and a king bed with a shower and bathtub! The room was very clean, and there was complimentary flat and sparkling water in glass bottles along with cofee, tea and cookies. My fiance was hesitant to take the water since they were so high class looking, he thought we would be charged for them, so we called the front desk and they said they were included in the rate. Each time we came back to our room at the end of the day, there was always new bottles of water. We loved it! The hotel is a 3 minute walk away from the tube, and a 5 minute walk to tower bridge and the tower of London. It is pretty far from the other attractions, and thats why I gave it a 3 for location. The only creepy thing to me was that our room had a view of a cemetary ( a very, very, very old looking cemetery). Overall, I recommend this hotel if you want to have great service from a wonderful staff and relax after a bustling day in London.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2011

The reviews for this hotel are justifably good. We had a room on the 7th floor with a view of The Gherkin to the left and Tower Bridge to the right. All staff very pleasant and room clean and spacious. Would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2011

My husband & I always stay at the Apex when in London and have recommended several friends to stay there too, which we would not do unless it was top dollar! From walking into the hotel to a warm welcome, the hotel staff are friendly, accomodating and aim to please. We have stayed in many hotels in London on business and liesure and find the rooms to be more spacious and better equipped than anywhere we have stayed at similar room rates. We have also had the pleasure of staying in deluxe, superior deluxe and in a suite and always found a consistently high standard. If there is a minor problem it is sorted out without fuss! Our last stay for Christmas and New Year was no exception, Susannah and the team made our family welcome, they upgraded the rooms for our son and daughter and our friends (foc) and nothing was too much trouble! Rooms are contemporary & modern, amenities in the rooms actually work, showers are great! As a light sleeper I usually struggle in London Hotels, due to the noise, but not this one - it's quiet, curtains actually shut properly and beds are really comfy. Looking forward to my next stay already!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I am a regular at the Apex, going both for work and for leisure. It used to be one of the very best hotels in London. But recently the service has been in terrible decline. The reception are now rude and inefficient, the room service slow and error-stewn, and the general atmosphere one of neglect and depression. I hope the management can get this sorted out soon and restore a once great hotel back to its previous standard.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Marc017
RobertFlinter, Manager at Apex City of London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2011

Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your constructive comments. I am very sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectation set at previous stays. While I am naturally disappointed to receive such comments, I can assure you that I and my team are taking immediate action to rectify any shortfalls in service. I do hope that you wil visit us again and have your faith in our hotel restored.

Kind regards

Robert Flinter

Reviewed 3 February 2011

Had a lovely stay here in a deluxe room. Would have liked to spend more time in the room but duty called elsewhere.

Really comfortable bar, great place to meet with colleagues. Fabulous bath, great amenities in the room, and the Elemis toiletries were a winner for me! (Not to mention the fab duck!)

Breakfast service in the morning let it down a bit. It felt like they didn't quite know what they were doing. Another slight niggle was that in mine and a colleague's room the TV systems had been disconnected (possibly during cleaning) so it prompted lots of head scratching then crawling around on the floor to plug them back in. I'm sure that the hotel staff would have sorted it but we felt a bit foolish not being able to operate the super fancy Bose systems!

Overall though I would definitely go there again, as would my colleagues!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2011

We stayed at the Apex for 2 nights at a weekend as part of a birthday trip to London. We booked in advance and on arrival were upgraded to a lovely spacious and well equipped room on the third floor. The large bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well. The service at reception and the concierge was excellent.

We had 1 evening meal in the restaurant which was OK but the food was served lukewarm. Also the tomato and basil side salad was bland so was left uneaten; however on clearing the table the waiting staff requested why the salad had not been eaten and when advised that it was bland they offered to remove the charge from the bill so the service was good.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple