“Budget accomodation in central location, walking distance to Euston Station.”
Review of Avonmore Hotel

Avonmore Hotel
Ranked #918 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed one night here in January as she had a job interview in Euston. We stayed in a double room, which was quite small and a bit dated. The room had an en-suite bathroom which again was very small, and the room was a bit cold as only one of the radiators worked. There was also a buzzing sound coming from somewhere in the room, only faint but was quite annoying after a while. There was breakfast in the morning which I cant comment on as I had to leave early for work so didnt get to try it. The bloke on reception was friendly enough and was working throughout the night. The reason I chose this hotel was for its location and price, it is in central London, walking distance from Euston Railway station and I only payed £49 for the night with en-suite bathroom and breakfast in the morning. For that reason I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cheap overnight stay in central london.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Baz1987

Reviewed 8 February 2012

I arrived at 10am after flying all night from Cuba. 'Alec from Brazil' greeted me with a lecture on Cuban politics, after I carried all of my own bags up the shabby stairs and told him I was jet lagged. The room was small but I said to him 'as long as it is quiet', then I was happy. The moment I lay down on the bed the construction work started. When I complained, dear darling Alec said that 'British law allowed this until 5pm'. It was 11am. No discount, no apology. It started again in the morning, I left even more exhausted than when I arrived. The construction work looks like it will last for weeks.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Julie_AnneLondon
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed here for one night and found it adequate for a short stay. Clean and comfortable beds, clean bathroom. Breakfast was good . Staff were very friendly. The location was good - 5 mins to Russell Square underground. Decor needs updating but overall good value.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Caroline G
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We needed a hotel for the night near Russel Square and this fitted the bill perfectly. The room offered over the internet was 2nd floor, so we asked for a room on the ground floor due to my Wife's health. We were offered one in the basement, but for a 1 night stay that was ok. When we arrived, we were initially offered the 2nd floor room, but flashed the paperwork and said we could have a room on the ground floor, which was even better!
It was clean, the shower was clean and hot, beds comfortable with plenty of tea and coffee available. It seems the Spanish had been in previously so any attempt to re-tune the TV was foiled. The serviceman came and sorted most of it out for us, quickly, so good marks there. Breakfast was included, full English. We will almost certainly use this hotel again. Downsides; breakfast room is in the basement, down some steep stairs; whilst our room was a very convenient location, it was also next to the front door. There is no lift.

Room Tip: Go for a high room if you are fit and want some quiet-there is no lift.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I have been staying at the Avonmore Monday to Friday for nearly 12 months as I'm working at Euston. The hotel is in a good, quiet location (usually) and is good value for money, price incudes english breakfast. The rooms are not large, I'm usually in single rooms obviously, but they are comfortable. I'm surprised at the comments about the breakfast staff, as other reviewers have said all the staff have been friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms in the basement do suffer from train noise and noise from the breakfast room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Good location. Reception staff excellent, however hotel let down by other staff. The woman serving breakfast was surly and rude to guests walking into the breakfast room. 3 girls walked in but were rudely told 'well you will have to split up and share table with somebody'. This could have been avoided if the tables were doubles and not for four, as each table of four had only two people at them. She also told another group ' you will have to come back' but breakfast was nearly finished so this would have caused further problems, There were four in my party. One asked for no beans, but was given beans and no sausage. another had stone cold beans. As vegetarian I asked for two eggs which came swimming in oil. We were given 2 slices of toast between 4 people, and had to ask twice more for more toast and each time it came, there was only 2 slices. That is 6 slices between 4 people when normally we would expect two each. Also only given a 2 cup pot of tea for 3 people. If the breakfast experience had been better we would have booked again for a trip in January however will now book elsewhere

Room Tip: Triple room very small, but quiet location looking out on the Avonmore sign!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Good: Friendly staff, nice breakfast, great location for Euston or King's Cross, and you can leave your luggage (though not necessarily secure)
Not great: I stayed in one of the very, very small single rooms. It was clean except for the squished bugs stuck to the walls, that obviously had been ignored by cleaners before my arrival. Very dated. Shower was fine, although temperature was not easy to control. Street noise wasn't unbearable, but the creaking stairs and floors meant waking when anyone went in or out of the rooms above. Internet wouldn't work, signal was too poor.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business