Travelodge London Central Aldgate East
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Pool
All reviewstower hillfamily roomhandy locationlight sleeperbrick lanebudget hotelwould stay againbed was very comfortabletube stationwetherspoonspubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Staff welcoming and efficient. Hotel clean and well kept. Food good for a budget stay. But don't expect to sleep. Rooms far too hot in good weather with no aircon, and constant loud noise from trains at back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Daniel C
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked this hotel for a boys weekend away in London and price was a factor - plus the fact Travelodge do 3 bedded rooms.
It was 32 degrees C outside on London and as we waked into reception we commented on how hot the inside of the hotel was. The friendly receptionist advised that Travelodge had bought this hotel and found that the air conditioning system was supplied by a company who were no longer in existence so they couldn't get any spare parts - hence no air conditioning in the hotel. She warned us to keep our windows and curtains closed because they had experimented and found that the temperature was lower this way. That set the alarm bells ringing and we headed up to our room. After trying the door of room 413, I had to trek down to reception in the heat to find that our room was actually 415 - apologies.
We entered the room and a wave of heat hit us.
There were 2 fans on but they were only moving hot air around.
We had cold showers which helped for a few minutes but carried on with our weekend and hoped that the temperature at night would have cooled down enough to allow us to sleep.
It didn't and we were miserable and lay the whole night in pools of sweat with very little sleep.
We told reception in the morning and without any hesitation they offered us a full refund for the 2 night stay - even though we had only stayed 1 night.
There should be warnings about the lack of air con - never mind the fact it was 32 degrees this weekend, even a moderate heat requires rooms to be air conditioned.
The one positive was that the room was very big, as was the bathroom.
We moved to a beautiful Novotel, it was like night and day.
No more Travelodge for us!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My overall experience was very good with this hotel. London experience it hottest few days during our stay. Thank god our room had air con, but not all of hotel was air con, in the areas that wasn't air con I found it very uncomfortable. If it had been, particularly in the dining area we would have dine there more than we did.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Philip W
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I am hoping that Tripadvisor will this time allow me to draw to people's attention a problem I had when I booked to stay at that this hotel which is my sole reason for the overall rating of this property which is a compulsory option in their reviews. I had booked and paid, two months in advance, for a room for two nights in the Aldgate East Travelodge (Zone 1) in London. On my arrival date I called the hotel to say that I would be arriving late and to check that there would be no problem checking in later that night. I was told that this would be fine. I arrived at the hotel shortly before 10pm and was told there was no room for me and they were transferring me to their Stratford Hotel (Zone 3). I am pregnant and had chosen the hotel specifically so that I would have a short journey by foot to our head office and certainly not a long cab journey in rush hour traffic, even if paid for. I was told that they were entitled to do this under the Relocation Policy in their terms and conditions.

Having now seen comments/complaints by other people on various websites, it seems that mine was not an isolated case and I wish I had seen these comments before booking.

I was told that rooms had been unexpectedly taken out of service but I am concerned that such a policy could be used by a hotel chain to advertise rates in prime locations that undercut their competition and then to move people to less popular locations they would never have chosen in the first place.

I was eventually moved to their hotel two minutes round the corner from the Aldgate East hotel but only after I had hormonally argued myself into a state that wasn't particularly good for me or my baby. I suspect many others have not been as fortunate and have been moved much further.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LittleYorkshireLass
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We got given a ground floor room, excellent reception welcome, clean tidy room and bathroom, air con didn't work, but far better than the normal travelodge, maybe it's the roll out of the new decor

We left hastily to get home, then an hour later the hotel called to make sure the stay was ok as reception had felt we weren't happy, on the contrary all was fine but that's rare customer service to have a call just to check

Thank you travelodge. That's not only impressive but inspired, this hotel chain is definitely getting its act together

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple