“felt like living in a sweat shop”

Travelodge London Central Aldgate East
Ranked #848 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Air conditionin units in hotel however broken and waiting on parts apparently.....
temp of room was around 28 degrees and supplied with a cheap fan. Was booked in for 6 nights and spent 4 of them in what can only be described as some form of torture. Staff were lovely and arranged 2 new rooms for us. Practically on the kerb of the railway which had works going on at 2am which equated to living beside a pneumatic drill. overall ruined a family break and best part was returning home for a decent sleep

2  Thank Linda M

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed here this week on a family break, I made an error in the dates of our stay and arrived a day late. We thought the receptionist had sorted everything out and we could stay till the Friday as firstly intended but a flurry of phone calls on the Thursday afternoon informed us we had to check out and vacate our room. As you can imagine this came as a shock we had to hotfoot it through Central London in a blind panic, wee then told there were no family rooms left but we could book a twin room at an inflated rate. The problem could easily have been avoided if the receptionist was clear on checking in and this was the most stressful experience I have been through in a long time. My son burst into tears in the lobby as he thought (quite rightly) we were being thrown onto the street. An another note if you are the same side as the railway line it is MEGA noisy and you've no chance of any sleep. Breakfast was ok for the money but if you could be bothered going elsewhere there are plenty of other options near by for the same price.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel room the night before my graduation as it was the only hotel in central London that offered family rooms for 3 adults. It is centrally located but it is right behind a major train station with DLR and national rail trains going past every minute. The minute we walked into the room, it was like walking into a sauna. There was no air con. There were already 2 fans going and the staff placed a third one in on our request. Of the 4 windows, only one opened and it only opened about an inch - I was told by the staff this was 'health and safety'. They claimed the hotel was full and they couldn't move us to a different room, however this is debatable as we didn't see many other people in the hotel.

It was impossible to sleep in the heat, the fans did nothing except blow hot air around the room and we couldn't have the window open due to the noise from the trains. At 2:30am, we were finally getting off to sleep when a train decided to stop outside to do some repairs!! The noise was deafening, at first we thought it was a drill or something because the hotel was practically shaking. I went downstairs to reception and was told that TFL are meant to inform the hotel if they plan in doing repairs but on this occasion they hadn't - the staff were friendly and apologetic however no amount of apologies was able to make it possible to sleep in that room. We had to be up at 7am the next day and the train didn't move along until well after 3.

I think this is without a doubt the worst hotel we've ever stayed in. The manager Shantell was very apologetic in the morning and gave us a full refund for the night, however it was a moot point by then as we all had a very long day at a graduation ceremony ahead of us and had no more than a few hours sleep each.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the front of the hotel. I would recommend ringing up prior to booking to check you...
3  Thank sllew2013
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Staff welcoming and efficient. Hotel clean and well kept. Food good for a budget stay. But don't expect to sleep. Rooms far too hot in good weather with no aircon, and constant loud noise from trains at back.

1  Thank Daniel C
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked this hotel for a boys weekend away in London and price was a factor - plus the fact Travelodge do 3 bedded rooms.
It was 32 degrees C outside on London and as we waked into reception we commented on how hot the inside of the hotel was. The friendly receptionist advised that Travelodge had bought this hotel and found that the air conditioning system was supplied by a company who were no longer in existence so they couldn't get any spare parts - hence no air conditioning in the hotel. She warned us to keep our windows and curtains closed because they had experimented and found that the temperature was lower this way. That set the alarm bells ringing and we headed up to our room. After trying the door of room 413, I had to trek down to reception in the heat to find that our room was actually 415 - apologies.
We entered the room and a wave of heat hit us.
There were 2 fans on but they were only moving hot air around.
We had cold showers which helped for a few minutes but carried on with our weekend and hoped that the temperature at night would have cooled down enough to allow us to sleep.
It didn't and we were miserable and lay the whole night in pools of sweat with very little sleep.
We told reception in the morning and without any hesitation they offered us a full refund for the 2 night stay - even though we had only stayed 1 night.
There should be warnings about the lack of air con - never mind the fact it was 32 degrees this weekend, even a moderate heat requires rooms to be air conditioned.
The one positive was that the room was very big, as was the bathroom.
We moved to a beautiful Novotel, it was like night and day.
No more Travelodge for us!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My overall experience was very good with this hotel. London experience it hottest few days during our stay. Thank god our room had air con, but not all of hotel was air con, in the areas that wasn't air con I found it very uncomfortable. If it had been, particularly in the dining area we would have dine there more than we did.

1  Thank Philip W
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I am hoping that Tripadvisor will this time allow me to draw to people's attention a problem I had when I booked to stay at that this hotel which is my sole reason for the overall rating of this property which is a compulsory option in their reviews. I had booked and paid, two months in advance, for a room for two nights in the Aldgate East Travelodge (Zone 1) in London. On my arrival date I called the hotel to say that I would be arriving late and to check that there would be no problem checking in later that night. I was told that this would be fine. I arrived at the hotel shortly before 10pm and was told there was no room for me and they were transferring me to their Stratford Hotel (Zone 3). I am pregnant and had chosen the hotel specifically so that I would have a short journey by foot to our head office and certainly not a long cab journey in rush hour traffic, even if paid for. I was told that they were entitled to do this under the Relocation Policy in their terms and conditions.

Having now seen comments/complaints by other people on various websites, it seems that mine was not an isolated case and I wish I had seen these comments before booking.

I was told that rooms had been unexpectedly taken out of service but I am concerned that such a policy could be used by a hotel chain to advertise rates in prime locations that undercut their competition and then to move people to less popular locations they would never have chosen in the first place.

I was eventually moved to their hotel two minutes round the corner from the Aldgate East hotel but only after I had hormonally argued myself into a state that wasn't particularly good for me or my baby. I suspect many others have not been as fortunate and have been moved much further.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business