“Cheap and cheerful”

Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury
Ranked #984 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We enjoyed our two nights in the hotel - we had a short break to do some theatre and museum visits. The hotel was convenient for the station where we arrived and the West End theatres. The room was adequate and reasonably comfortable. We were on the top floor and - with no lift - that helped keep us fit! The breakfast was adequate - although the service was odd and the breakfast room a bit small for the number of people staying. I say the service was odd because the hot breakfast appeared even before I had finished my starter (so the starter became a wraparound for the hot breakfast). However, the price we paid was very small for London and the stay was very short. You don't expect Ritz luxury except at the Ritz (and having a massive price to pay).

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are worth asking for (and either 1st or 2nd floor as long as you can manage the st...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel was clean and comfortable but over priced. The location was excellent and we enjoyed visiting the many pubs and restaurants in the area. The water pressure in the en-suite was very poor. No glasses were provided in the bathroom for cleaning your teeth. The hotel description included a photograph of the garden area but when we looked out of our bedroom window (through some scaffolding!) the garden was overgrown, no seats to sit in and it wasn't mentioned to us on our arrival. We did have to wait about 10 minutes in Reception on arrival and in the end went to find someone to check us in. We complained about the TV signal as it was impossible to watch anything as the picture kept breaking up but nothing was done about this. Breakfast was fine and it was actually nice to have it freshly cooked although the staff weren't very professional - I was still eating my cereal when my breakfast arrived! Tea and coffee were very weak. I think we were fortunate to have a room at the back of the hotel as the road was busy day and night and would have been noisy. As it was we found the room nice and quiet and slept well!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This hotel was in a good location for me, although on a fairly busy road. Reception was tidy and efficient. The hotel was generally well-presented and has a 24 hour reception. There was no lift so if you have luggage it would have been a challenge as my room was on the 2nd floor, but required 3 flights of stairs and a number of doors to be negotiated. The main downside was the size of the room - probably originally a compact single, now incorporating an en suite. The bed was squeezed laterally under the window, with a small area between the room door and the bed to store luggage etc. Wifi worked fine, and the shower room was clean, tidy and relatively new.

Room Tip: Avoid anything above the first floor if you have luggage. Very small rooms, so enquire if you need s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Due to a cancelled journey, we had to book a hotel in this part of London at short notice, most hotels were booked up so we were glad to get a room here.

Ok, firstly I'll accept that it is the middle of London, so prices are going to be high and space is going to be at a premium. However, it still seems ridiculous having to pay such a high price for one night in a hotel of this standard, with such small rooms.

The hotel is really cramped, with tiny staircases and rooms which are all laid out like a maze, if there was a fire in a building like this it would be a nightmare, but being such an old building there is not much can be done about it. We were on the top floor and to get to our floor we had to pass through corridors that stank of cigarette smoke.

The room itself was small but reasonably comfortable and the bathroom was actually recently refurbished which was good.

On check-in we informed the 2 members of staff at the desk that we would be leaving early in the morning around 7am, as we had paid for bed & breakfast we asked if something could be arranged for us to have a quick continental breakfast or cereal before we left. They said it would be no problem. When we were about to leave at 7, I went to the breakfast room to grab something to eat, everything was locked away and there was nothing to eat, I went to reception and one of the guys i'd spoke to was sitting sleeping in his chair at reception; as the taxi was waiting outside I didnt even bother waking him, we just left.

Overall, I certainly wouldn't choose to go back to this hotel if I could avoid it.

Room Tip: a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Once again, I enjoyed my short stay with the Cavendish. It's not really a 'hotel', however, but an extremely small place to stay that includes a registration desk in a room with a sitting area. if you are seeking extremely comfortable, spacious accommodations with all the extras, this place is not for you. But - if you are looking for a very inexpensive place to stay (you're in London, folks!) in a fantastic neighborhood around the corner from the Goodge Tube, restaurants, fruit stands, and anything else you might need, this is it. And free wifi!

The reception answered all of my questions, held my bags on the last day, and arranged for my transportation to the airport in the wee morning hours.

Room Tip: I'm only 5'3'' so the little cabin rooms/single rooms suit me just fine.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I recently returned to Canada from a holiday in Britain. My sister booked a two night stay at the Cavendish Hotel. Due to a family emergency we were forced to cancel the second night. The cancellation was done via Hotels.com with whom the booking had been made. We were told by the hotel that we could not cancel with the hotel direct. Due to total incompetence on the part of Hotels.com the cancellation was not passed on to the hotel and we were charged for the second night. The cancellation was made well within the time frame stated by Hotels.com, who admitted they had made the error. Our cancellation call had been recorded; it was well within the time and they could not deny it. A senior staff member at the hotel, which was not at fault in the cancellation process, was extremely intimidating and unpleasant when we tried to explain the situation. My sister, who is unwell, was forced to stand for one hour trying to reach hotels.com. They did let her use the 'phone but didn't offer her a chair. This was not a pleasant experience.
The hotel stay was adequate but the senior staff definitely need training in very basic customer service. My sister is still trying to obtain her refund from hotels.com, who I am telling everyone I know never to use again. The are highly experienced in the "run-around" and we wondered whether there is a big game going on between hotels and hotels.com to the benefit of everyone but the customer. Why else does hotels.com make it very difficult to contact them about customer service???

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Very poor hotel. Dirty. Appalling service from horrid management who don't want to know. The only positive thing I can say about this place is that its location is good, being just a few minutes walk from Euston Station. There are plenty of other places to stay. Avoid.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business