“Could be more modern, but clean and comfortable all the same”

Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury
Ranked #979 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed here on 04/12/13 overnight whilst in London for a meeting. When I read the reviews I was concerned but I needn't have been.

Like most reviews on here, there is the review, the hotel perception and the reality somewhere in the middle.

The room was clean, bed comfortable, if not a bit cramped. However, I was only sleeping there so as long as the bed, room and bathroom were clean, which they were, I wasn't too fussed.

The room was on the Lower Ground floor, and when I entered it was like a sauna. However, I went over to the radiator and turned it down. Problem solved.

The only significant time I spent there was just before bed, and so I watched the TV which had a great picture and several satellite channels to choose from.

There was free wifi which worked fine and was quick, with tea making facilities and a bottle of water, which I didn't use.

The bathroom was reasonably modern, more modern than the rest of the room, and was spacious enough.

Breakfast was a choice of full english or continental, and choice of a pot of tea or coffee. I had the full english and it was tasty and hit the spot.

Only complaint I had was that I thought it was only slightly over priced for the quality at £105 but taking into account the area it is in, I can understand why, and I didn't feel ripped off by it.

Only negative thing I read that I would agree with is the stairs down to the Lower Ground floor. You open the door directly onto the downward stairs, on a corner, so it was tricky with the one bag I had, and so I;d guess if you had heavier luggage than me, it could be a wee bit tricky to negotiate, and could potentially lead to an accident if the person opening the door didn't realise this, as it's not that clear despite there being a window in the door.

All in all, nowhere near as bad as some reviews have said, as long as all you are looking for is a clean comfortable bed and bathroom as a base. If you're expecting luxury and spacious comfort, then this probably isn't the hotel for you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Digs76

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Only 10 mins walk from Euston station and 20 mins walk to the theatres in Leicester Square.
Ideal location for us which meant we could walk to everywhere we needed to without having to squeeze onto the tube or get confused by the hundreds of bus routes.
Room was a very decent size with kingsize bed (actually two singles fixed together), bedside tables and settee. Ensuite shower and toilet wasn't cramped either.
Breakfast was standard help yourself to cereals, juice and fruit. Followed by any combination of fry-up you wanted and unlimited tea/coffee and toast.

The only problem I could find was that the room was too warm, even with the radiator turned off, and we slept with the window open meaning the occasional noise from night buses etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

A very nicely located Hotel, not far from all beautiful places, this Hotel has a typical Gothic look from outside.But its 'blink & you miss' front, is a complete contrast. The rooms are extremely small and as such please do not expect any service. It would have been better if they would not have placed the television at all. But a kettle with tea and coffee pouches give a real relief. The Gower street view from the room is quite enchanting. Breakfast is good and helps you in charging up for the day. Doors & windows are antique and be prepared for unforeseen eventualities!! Got locked up in the bath for nearly half an hour as the door just refused to open from inside. It was really scary as there is no telephone in the bath.
Beds are cosy & comfortable. Nights are calm. Front desk is helpful.

Room Tip: Given a chance, talk to the front desk for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mohapatrark
Reviewed 15 November 2013

2nd time in this "fantastic" hotel.

Good points:
- location, location, location
- cheap

Bed:
- we have ordered a pick up service from the reception to Luton airport, there was no taxi waiting for us, we had to wait 50 mins for a new one
- stuff nice and helpful, but totally hopeless (sorry to say that)
- even the normal room is sooooooooooooooo small, I could not even move in my room
- walls are so tiny, you can hear every single door closing, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
- wifi sometimes works, sometimes no
- nearly no hot water in the shower
- no room for bags, only the welcome area

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Hi all,

Fell ill a full two days before booking at this hotel. Cancelled booking directly with the hotel. Firstly they denied getting email even though I have proof it was sent.
Secondly the mean management charged a full £125.00 on the basis we did not show up which was untrue!
Draw your own conclusions as to what type of place this is. Sam and the manager rubbish!

Alan B

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Alan B
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Top quality hotel, excellent central location and great buffet breakfast. The room was spacious. I got there late and had a room service meal which despite the late hour was delivered quickly and was high quality.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Rob P
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Back in December we stayed here for Christmas and New Year and we liked the hotel, especially the location as we normally stay in Mayfair. During our December trip we stayed in a standard room, which was way too small so for this trip we upgraded to the larger room and if was worth it. As we go to London every year we do interact with the staff that much, but what we like about this hotel is the location, which is central to many attractions. The room was well appointed and modern. The room was very clean but my biggest complaint was the lack of electrical outlets to accommadate all our devices The room had the option to have breakfast included, but that would have been an additional money, and not a small amount. Last time we discovered a small cafe just past Leicester Square where we go for breakfast and costs a fraction of what the hotel would charge. There are so many hotels in London as it is fun to try different ones so if you've never been here I would recommend it.

Room Tip: We were in room 910 which gave a good view of the London Eye.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple