“First impression, very disappointing. ”

Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury
Ranked #963 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Milford on Sea, United Kingdom
“First impression, very disappointing. ”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I have just arrived at the worst hotel I have stayed at in the past 5 years! Unfortunately it was booked for me by a work colleague and I didn't have the opportunity to check it out on trip adviser first. I have the delights of a single room where the eidth of the room is the length of the bed, it takes 4 steps to get from the door to the bed and if you dit on the toilet your feet are in the shower!!! On the plus side I have tea, coffee, bottled water and biscuits an I may be impressed with breakfast, I can't wait!! The reception area could really do with redecoration as could the outside of the halls and the hallways. I can't say I am looking forward to tonights stay as the traffic noise is substantial. I would cheer myself up by turning the tv on but cannot find the remote!! However free wifi mrans I can watch tv on my laptop, always look for the positives.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham,UK
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Tiny,noisy rooms ten feet from a main road. Paper thin internal walls and poor secondary double glazing.Avoid at all costs. Immediately booked into another hotel. Worst ever seen by me in London. Don't be fooled by the claims on the website.Nothing more to say.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank JohnKirk

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Finland
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had booked a double room in a 4 star hotel, and arriving (@ 1 a.m.) was given a tiny room with a queen size bed (120cm wide) for two.

The room was cold as hell, there was a draft from the window and the bad was situated under the window and in a way that you had to climb over the other person to get out. Not suitable for non-couples. The stairs leading up to the room (4th floor!) were narrow and steep, with no elevator of course, and we were offered no help with the luggage, so I eneded up carrying up both our bags. The shower was so small there was hardly any elbow room to wash your hair.

This was not what I paid for, so I made a strong complaint after checking in. They said they would look into a possible change, which did not happen until after 2 nights, since we were given conflicting instructions on what to do, and even asked to hoist the luggage ourselves back and forth between the lobby and the room "just in case something opens up". I declined, and they eventually did take care of the luggage.

Halfway through our stay, they did manage to move us to a decent room with a proper double bed and a normal size shower. After that, we enjoyed our stay fully. I asked for a refund upon leacing, but did not get any compensation. Will not be returning.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this for a business trip and I guess it was cheaper than other 4 star hotels.
Location was good as my venue was 10min walk away. Only took 10mins to walk from Euston station.
Staff were friendly.
The room was the tiniest I have ever stayed in. The double bed took up half the room and I had to place my case on the bed to access the wardrobe. Tiny desk that couldn't take A4 folder portrait way. Tea/coffee facility in the room was standard. The shower room was compact, but the shower had minimal flow. The toilet paper was reasonable and not the cheap newspaper stuff often used!
There is no lift so if you had any disability or a heavy bag then you're stuffed.
My room was roasting when I arrived as the radiator had been left on full with the window open! Even a few hours later with the heating off, the room was still hot and it was difficult to sleep. You can hear the street outside but then it is a city hotel.
Breakfast was acceptable and service was efficient with pleasant staff.
The wifi was very slow so I used my 4G as it was much much faster.
For a business trip where I needed to bed down for the night, it served a purpose, but I won't plan to stay here again unfortunately.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David R
glasgow
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Hotel is located less than 10 mins away from Euston station which was great since we arrived close to midnight. Had a family room, which was a bit cramped but for all the time you spend in the room anyway it wasnt really a bother. Bottled water was complimentary which was a nice touch, as well as the usual coffee and tea. We stayed here 3 nights and did not try the breakfast, so cannot comment on how good or bad it is. Rooms could be doing with a lick of paint and a freshen up.The price we paid for 3 nights was pretty expensive for what you get but you,ve got to remember that it is London. Would stay here again especially for the location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Sussex
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We were on the 14 floor for a weekend in London. The room was lovely, particularly the view from it. This hotel is in a great location, it is the second time we've stayed @ this hotel. Breakfast is plentiful. I would certainly stay here again. The staff were friendly & accommodating.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We had the family room, large double room with a sofa bed. Room was very clean and quiet, it was at the back of the hotel. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Complimentary tray included biscuits and bottled water as well as the usual tea and coffee. Plentiful shower gel/soaps and towels with a nice big walk In shower. Excellent full English breakfast along with all the cereals, fruit, juice and yoghurt available for you to help yourself.
Location was great. 10 minutes walk from Euston station, 10 minutes walk from British Museum and only another few minutes walk from Covent Garden.
Only problem I'd anticipate is no lift and plenty of stairs though the reception staff would help with bags etc.
We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back, away from the main road are quiet.