“Awful night stay”

Ranked #963 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Awful night stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed in room 106, which faces the main road which is very busy and noisy. The window did not shut so it was draughty and noisy. There was a delivery truck that parked outside my window and proceeded to deliver bed linen to all hotel on the street via 'biffa' bins on all wheels so that's all I heard for over an hour at 1130pm. When I came to leave the door lock was stuck so I was stuck in the room, not what I needed at 0630am and after such little sleep due to the noise. not a great place to stay if you want sleep.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Karen B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! It is the worst place I have ever stayed at in all my years of travel. Our room was tiny! The double bed was lumpy and was pushed up against the wall so that my husband had to climb over me to get into his side of the bed. There was a tiny wardrobe for hanging clothes that was not deep enough to close when you had anything on a hanger inside it. The desk area was minuscule with a tiny bench to sit on...not even a proper chair. We each had two large suitcases which we could not open at the same time because there was not enough room. The bathroom was ridiculous! The shower was tiny and the doors did not shut completely so you sprayed water everywhere when trying to shower. The shower head was broken and flew off across the room the first time we turned on the water so it was like showering under a garden hose. The sink was so small that if you turned the water on too much it spurted across right out of sink and onto the floor. The towels were threadbare .... next to useless. There were not even plastic glasses in the room...only small coffee mugs. There was a coffee machine but the carafe was so large and the sink was so small you couldn't get it under the tap to fill it to make coffee. The front desk staff barely speak English so be prepared to struggle to communicate with these idiots. They were absolutely no help whatsoever in giving directions... they knew nothing about London...not even how to get to the closest Underground Station. The front lobby area has seen better days. They don't have a secure area or room for leaving your luggage if you arrive into town before check-in time. After two horrid nights we packed up and moved to the Tavistock Hotel a few blocks away.... a real hotel for the same price with helpful staff, bigger rooms and an excellent buffet breakfast! A HUGE improvement. Take my advice.... avoid the Hotel Cavendish!! It is a DUMP!!!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor...... stay somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SEH116

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We paid £105 for a double room with cooked breakfast and have to say it was ok. Room was a fair size, was clean and bed was comfy. We had a room on the back so weren't bothered by road noise.
The breakfast was good, waitress service was efficient.
Overall a decent place to stay and well positioned for Soho.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Milford on Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I have just arrived at the worst hotel I have stayed at in the past 5 years! Unfortunately it was booked for me by a work colleague and I didn't have the opportunity to check it out on trip adviser first. I have the delights of a single room where the eidth of the room is the length of the bed, it takes 4 steps to get from the door to the bed and if you dit on the toilet your feet are in the shower!!! On the plus side I have tea, coffee, bottled water and biscuits an I may be impressed with breakfast, I can't wait!! The reception area could really do with redecoration as could the outside of the halls and the hallways. I can't say I am looking forward to tonights stay as the traffic noise is substantial. I would cheer myself up by turning the tv on but cannot find the remote!! However free wifi mrans I can watch tv on my laptop, always look for the positives.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Birmingham,UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Tiny,noisy rooms ten feet from a main road. Paper thin internal walls and poor secondary double glazing.Avoid at all costs. Immediately booked into another hotel. Worst ever seen by me in London. Don't be fooled by the claims on the website.Nothing more to say.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank JohnKirk
Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had booked a double room in a 4 star hotel, and arriving (@ 1 a.m.) was given a tiny room with a queen size bed (120cm wide) for two.

The room was cold as hell, there was a draft from the window and the bad was situated under the window and in a way that you had to climb over the other person to get out. Not suitable for non-couples. The stairs leading up to the room (4th floor!) were narrow and steep, with no elevator of course, and we were offered no help with the luggage, so I eneded up carrying up both our bags. The shower was so small there was hardly any elbow room to wash your hair.

This was not what I paid for, so I made a strong complaint after checking in. They said they would look into a possible change, which did not happen until after 2 nights, since we were given conflicting instructions on what to do, and even asked to hoist the luggage ourselves back and forth between the lobby and the room "just in case something opens up". I declined, and they eventually did take care of the luggage.

Halfway through our stay, they did manage to move us to a decent room with a proper double bed and a normal size shower. After that, we enjoyed our stay fully. I asked for a refund upon leacing, but did not get any compensation. Will not be returning.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this for a business trip and I guess it was cheaper than other 4 star hotels.
Location was good as my venue was 10min walk away. Only took 10mins to walk from Euston station.
Staff were friendly.
The room was the tiniest I have ever stayed in. The double bed took up half the room and I had to place my case on the bed to access the wardrobe. Tiny desk that couldn't take A4 folder portrait way. Tea/coffee facility in the room was standard. The shower room was compact, but the shower had minimal flow. The toilet paper was reasonable and not the cheap newspaper stuff often used!
There is no lift so if you had any disability or a heavy bag then you're stuffed.
My room was roasting when I arrived as the radiator had been left on full with the window open! Even a few hours later with the heating off, the room was still hot and it was difficult to sleep. You can hear the street outside but then it is a city hotel.
Breakfast was acceptable and service was efficient with pleasant staff.
The wifi was very slow so I used my 4G as it was much much faster.
For a business trip where I needed to bed down for the night, it served a purpose, but I won't plan to stay here again unfortunately.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business