“Great Apartment”

Ranked #493 of 1,067 Hotels in London
pennsylvania
“Great Apartment”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights during the Olympics. We needed a place that would accomodate the 5 of us, and found the apartment to be perfect! Because the apartment was so comfortable, we could have easily stayed here much longer, and if we are ever in London again, probably will. Breakfast was very good, the staff was very helpful, and the location was quiet and close to the underground.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Greek first
High Point, NC
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I booked two rooms for five nights for my wife, son and myself in June before my son began a study abroad program at Oxford. Based on what I had read I wanted to be out of central London for a couple of reasons. I could get two rooms here for less than what I would have paid for one in central London and the hotel was really more of a collection of converted Victorian houses than a hotel. It felt like a guest house just as it is called. The area is not packed with tourist and I could get a better sense of real life in London. There were also a variety of bars and restaurants to choose from that again were not tourist traps. There was shopping in the area, including a grocery store which was the main place that we went to pick up things that we needed. I had read about the Northern line trip and it was a nice five minute walk to the tube when we went into the city. I will warn you, however, it is a bit uphill walk back to the Glenlyn so after a long day out my wife did not look forward to the walk up the hill to the hotel.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and I liked being able to leave the key at the front desk and not worry about carrying it around all day. Breakfast was very good and we enjoyed it each morning. We found enough variety for our tastes even though they had the same basic spread each morning. The breakfast area room was also very lovely in the morning. The first afternoon when we arrived was unusually warm for June and both of my family members complained about the lack of airconditioning. The staff was quick to find me a couple of fans and that really helped. With the fans and being able to open the windows it was not uncomfortable just not what we are spoiled with having coming from the US.

The other complaint that I got from my family was the flights of stairs that we had to walk. We were on the third floor at the end and back of the hotel overlooking the courtyard. This area was quiet and if we were only packing for a week in London would have been fine. Since we were staying for an extra week in Ireland and my son would be at Oxford for a full summer session we had several pieces of heavy luggage that we had to haul up to our rooms. There were no elevators and the stairs were a bit narrow. I considered this a minor inconvenience which was more than offset by the seclusion that we had in this part of the hotel and having two rooms joined by a small hallway. My family may not have totally agreed. We may have actually preferred one of the apartments but they were booked and I did not get to see them.

Once we were settled into the rooms however they were excellent. My son's room was actually larger than the room that my wife and I shared but having two rooms gave us plenty of space. The beds were comfortable and except for getting used to the lack of air-conditioning the first night I slept fine. The rooms were clean and housekeeping did a good job of keeping them that way.

We did use the recommended transportation on a couple of occasions and they were very friendly, available on time (very early on a couple of mornings) and the only problem we encountered was actually finding the college were my son was staying in Oxford. I suspect that is not a usual trip for them. As an aside the bus trip back from Oxford was very easy and I probably should have just done that both ways but I did not want to haul luggage on the tube.

Overall I would have rated my stay as excellent but rated it as very good based on the comments from my family members. If you want to be in the center of things in London pick a central hotel and pay the cental prices. If you want a good clean "guest house" and not feel that you are in the middle of tourist central this is a great place to stay. I would be more than willing to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank tarheeltraveler4509
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Lovely place to stay,found the staff very entertaining food was exceptional quality,would recomend to anyone,noise was slighty much off road but so tired with all our activities it didnot materr,plrnty to do with the olimpics being on aswell,so overall very nice and again wud recomend to anyone

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Mozzer1982
hull
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed here for one night only prior to a trip to the olympics.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms (2) clean and well equiped with lovely white bed linen and towels. Although we had to leave at 6.30am we were offered and given a continental breakfast by the night porter. The guest house is withing easy reach of the underground and we were able to leave our car in the car park until we returned to collect it on our way home.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Torquay, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

All the family met up here earlier in the year. Three of us had an apartment for three nights and our guests were free to come and go. We lived in the area for years, and it was good to be back in Finchley among the shops and restaurants we knew.

The staff were very accommodating with camp beds, extra bedding etc.and it was all good quality. My daughter was taken ill while we were there, and was allowed to stay on for a few extra days at a reduced price until she was well enough to travel home.

The well designed rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. The kitchen and bathroom were clean, up to date and stylish, although a few more mugs might have been ideal! TV's everywhere but best of all, french windows from the sitting room to the garden, where I could have a sneaky cigarette.

The breakfast buffet was very good, plenty of choice.

We did have a problem one night with noise from the apartment above, but a member of staff was there within minutes to speak to them.

We felt it was very good value for money and would happily stay again any time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Fargo, ND
Reviewed 31 July 2012

A friend and I stayed at this bed and breakfast for a few days after a 7 week trip around Europe. We were very impressed. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We had a room on the second floor, and they had somebody to help carry our bags up and down the steps. They were also very knowledgeable about the area and were able to direct us to where we needed to go. The room was very large and clean compared to other rooms we had stayed in throughout Europe. The beds were very comfortable and breakfast better than any breakfast we had while in Europe. There was no air conditioning, but they had a fan in the room which worked just fine. The city center is a little far away, about a 30 minute tube ride. It was worth staying outside of the city center though because it was a quiet residential area and only a 5 minute walk to the tube station. I would definitely recommend this bed and breakfast to anybody!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Concord, Ohio
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Great hotel. Have stayed here several days during July for about 4 years. Service and staff are excellent. Room is on the small side but clean and comfortable. Breakfast is a very good "English Breakfast". Close to tube station, so access to downtown London is good but a bit far. Parking on site.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo