“Seriously?”

Golders Green Hotel
Ranked #912 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Me and my Mum wanted to stay in London for a couple of days. We weren't gonna spend much time in the hotel so we weren't expecting anything fancy when we booked a twin room here...

For a start, we showed up and there was no record of us even having booked a room. So we weren't off to a brilliant start. Luckily we had proof of payment so they gave us the key to our 'twin' room. We got to the room and while the beds were a decent size, they were pushed so close together it might as well have been a double bed.

That night my Mum said she didn't trust the door and put one of the chairs in front of it - and we're very glad she did! At about 3AM someone tried to get into the hotel room. When Mum called "Hello?" they left but we were then kept up by someone talking in the lobby until about 4.30 in the morning.

I might've been able to forgive this if when we complained to the owner, he'd understood a word we were trying to tell him! He kept continuously telling us not to leave the key in the lock that night but we'd never left the key in the lock? Someone had their own key and had tried to get in! But after various complaints he still didn't understand so we left it.

Finally, the breakfast wasn't very nice so on the second day we went to McDonalds for breakfast instead.

Overall, it was a pretty awful hotel - would not recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Hozzie B

Reviewed 30 November 2013

It's small hotel that the look after me and tray to do the best to make you feel good like family I am now her the room is big and clean. The keep eye on my staff till next week when I com back if you need extra service that can help the do for you. You got some coffee Fruit and EEG to start the day quit area bus number 13 if you want to see where the queen hang with the gards show on mon.wend.fri

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Upon arrival I was greeted by a greasy wannabe Bollywood gangster at the reception desk. £60 I was quoted, it was late and I was out of options in this area so I agreed. He explained, 'No cannabis and absolutely no one else in the room' which I later understood to mean, no hookers. Had I known what awaited me I would have laughed at the idea that he truly believed that another person could actually fit in the room. 'Keep your passport, money and other valuables with you at all times' - reassuring ! He carried on, 'out this door, up the stairs on the left'. They were not very detailed directions however as what I think he should have said was, 'Out this door, take a left at the rogue ironing board, pass the broken window and unsightly boiler, up the narrow creaking stairs where you will find a door with no handle, leaving you in utter confusion as to how you can enter your room'.

I squeezed into my Eau de urine scented room to see a bed, one cupboard and two cupboard doors, figure that one out !! The walls were so badly painted that the folk of Berlin would not have waited so long to knock them down and the bathroom was so disgusting that I was given the go ahead to gag on sight. Let me stick with the bathroom for a minute. One towel was roughly folded on the floor while the other merged with a moldy shelf which I am sure, had I not arrived when I did, it would have grown legs and walked away ! One roll of toilet paper was almost finished indicating that either, the room is rarely restocked or that their food is so terrible it had been used in one sitting!! The shower curtain was an off green colour I had never seen before probably as I have never been to Hell but it made me feel dirtier after my shower than I did before I went in.

The fact that it is almost Halloween means that I will forgive the massive cobwebs and creepy looking spiders that roamed the walls and ceiling. There were that many of them they had figured out a system preventing themselves from bumping into each other, clever creatures ! Now I am all for carbs but finding an old piece of bread on my bed behind the once white curtains was one surprise too many to be honest. When I was younger I thought B&B stood for Bread and Breakfast, maybe I was right? The TV flickered every time a bus passed but luckily it is London and there are not many buses around !!!!!

My facilities included a spare broken light bulb, a filth covered fan, a strange wooden chair, something that buzzed all night and the promise of breakfast in the morning. Perhaps if I was Iron Stomach Steve from the travelling freak show I may have contemplated the 7am pile of turd on a plate but as I am relatively normal and value my insides, I decided against it. Their website offers complementary WI-FI, huh? The only option I found was called Richard's iPhone and I felt bad enough that he was already staying in the hotel to actually then steal his signal ..

The clocks went back an hour for us last night but I think for them, the clocks went back a hundred years when maybe this sort of vile, putrid running of a business was accepted. Speaking of clocks, their decorative display of clocks behind reception denoting the time in four different time zones showed that London and New York share the same time and the wrong time at that !! Just another delightful quirk of this humour filled monstrosity.

There is not a score low enough to mark this carelessly thrown together mound of junk out of ten but if you ever happen to come across The Golders Green Hotel, I urge you to stay as it will make you appreciate and respect the homeless men and women who take the decision to prop up doorways and live under bridges.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
20  Thank Robchocs
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My partner booked this hotel as a surprise for me, after reading the reviews I could have swung for him. We were pleasantly surprised, the welcome was warm, the room was clean with a very nice bathroom, breakfast was continental and that suits us, it had everything it should have. The only bad review I could give was that though the bedding was clean, the pillows smelt very damp, so much so that my hair smelt this morning, after reading another review I looked inside the duvet cover at the quilt and I must say that my dirty floor cloths would put the quilt to shame. Having said all that we had a great time in the city and the beds were very comfortable. Good value for money.

Room Tip: We had room 226 and it was fine
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mandy L
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Don't ever stay here unless you're really seriously desperate especially in room 224 on the ground floor. Dangerous electric cable hanging down from bathroom mirror, dirty and stained carpet and someone else's hairs in the bed. The worst thing really was the horrible smell and old worn out and smelly bedding. It's extraordinary that this place hasn't been shut down by environmental health. Spent the whole time out because the room was so offensive and decided in the end just to sleep on top of the bed because it must have been infested. Finally did get to sleep but kept a watchful eye in case the tramp who had been sleeping here before me came back. For goodness sake don't think of coming here if you are travelling with children ! The best bit was getting out of there at the first opportunity in the morning. I'd sleep under a bridge rather than go back here !

Room Tip: Don't do it !
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Goose413
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Myself and my friend stayed here as we couldn't get anywhere else, as was a busy weekend, If that happens to you, go home! Don't stay here! The Reception was very rude! He charged us twice for a room that wasn't even worth 1 payment so we had to go to the hassel of getting that back, There was tea bags in the room thrown on the side, but no milk, The shower was falling of the wall, there was thick dust on the skirting boards, when I took a looked out the window there where condoms on the window ledge! my friend and I also think this hotel has some sort of rodent problem! as we could here scratching in the walls all night. Also the tv didn't work and we really didn't want to try the breakfast as the hotel was just dirty.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room here
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank HKey2
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

We didn't actually book this hotel we booked through booking.com to stay in a hotel a 1 minute walk away, but when we arrived instead of there being 2 rooms which we had booked there was only 1 available. We were told that we could stay in this hotel instead, has we were going to a concert at Wembley we had no other choice.

Anyway when we got to our room it was up on the top floor and was horrible, it smelt funny, the bed was pushed into the corner, the quilt cover was bobbly and had not been ironed, the en suite shower room was so tiny you had to have the door open to be able to use the sink.

And don't get me started on breakfast we walked into the dining room had a drink of "fruit" juice ( it was a disgusting cordial ) and decided that the safest option for breakfast was the services on the M1.

• Stayed: June 2013