“Dissapointing”

Golders Green Hotel
Ranked #939 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Im not sure what I expected after booking room in haste then reading reviews after (school boy error) I tried to keep an open mind..having booked 2 rooms 1 a triple and 1 twin I presume the pictures on here relate to secret rooms or wrong hotel! Yes some refurb is taking place but minimal and poor, our ground floor triple was just pathetic odd bed bases a window that didnt close and reminiscent of a badly run shared house, rooms are just disgusting sorry but its true i was with 4 lads if i had my family i would have walked out, quite certain some rooms are full with immigrants waiting to be found homes..this just isnt a genuine hotel its a sideline preying on uneducated ppl.. breakfast comprised a basket of boiled eggs and the contents of what you find in the back of your cupboard..As i said was 4 lads so a bed is all we was after but still an eyeopener please please be aware if you believe in anyway this place is worth your money or mental health its disgusting

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank supa1971

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The photo of the hotel's entrance in trip advisor has not been updated but the outside of the hotel looks different now, please do not be fooled by the design of the hotel's website, the room we were given does not look AT ALL like those shown in there. If you want to see the reality, look at the photos taken by travellers.
The cups and tea spoons in the room were already used when we arrived, so I had to go and get a couple of clean cups from the breakfast room for what I was told off by a member of the staff. All the furniture in the room was dusty, windows were full of pigeon's poop and had sticky handles and the sink and the shower in the toilet were blocked. The bed frame was oversized for the mattress so make sure you book for a double bedroom with double mattress (not just the double bed frame) and the bed clothing and curtains must have been purchased during the industrial revolution (and not washed since then).
There is not wi-fi in the rooms so you will need to stay at the breakfast room where a homeless person might make you a visit and help himself to use the tableware at the hotel. You can also use the internet sitting in a sofa at the reception where you might find another member of the staff that will make you personal questions and take your phone number from the hotel's records to ask you for a date.
If you are not happy with any of this after paying £59 for a double room per night, please forward your concerns to the hotel's owner and manager with 26 years of experience in the field that will kindly argue and talk over you to make excuses and avoid refunding you the money for the room.

Room Tip: Go to Regal or King Solomon hotel, the cost is slightly higher but at least you won't be at risk...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Mayte M

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Accepting the price is £59 for a night near a tube station in London, there are basic requirements. The welcome was friendly and seemed organised. The room was sizeable but an odd layout - a double bed plus another bed on a little mezzanine where there was a sink and tea/coffee but no milk. The bath was too small to serve any purpose and the whole place was freezing. Two out of three radiators started to work but the duvet wasn't fit for an English summer let alone winter. As for the yellow stains on the sheets .... Yuk!

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Timpers
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Me and my Mum wanted to stay in London for a couple of days. We weren't gonna spend much time in the hotel so we weren't expecting anything fancy when we booked a twin room here...

For a start, we showed up and there was no record of us even having booked a room. So we weren't off to a brilliant start. Luckily we had proof of payment so they gave us the key to our 'twin' room. We got to the room and while the beds were a decent size, they were pushed so close together it might as well have been a double bed.

That night my Mum said she didn't trust the door and put one of the chairs in front of it - and we're very glad she did! At about 3AM someone tried to get into the hotel room. When Mum called "Hello?" they left but we were then kept up by someone talking in the lobby until about 4.30 in the morning.

I might've been able to forgive this if when we complained to the owner, he'd understood a word we were trying to tell him! He kept continuously telling us not to leave the key in the lock that night but we'd never left the key in the lock? Someone had their own key and had tried to get in! But after various complaints he still didn't understand so we left it.

Finally, the breakfast wasn't very nice so on the second day we went to McDonalds for breakfast instead.

Overall, it was a pretty awful hotel - would not recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Hozzie B
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 30 November 2013

It's small hotel that the look after me and tray to do the best to make you feel good like family I am now her the room is big and clean. The keep eye on my staff till next week when I com back if you need extra service that can help the do for you. You got some coffee Fruit and EEG to start the day quit area bus number 13 if you want to see where the queen hang with the gards show on mon.wend.fri

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Upon arrival I was greeted by a greasy wannabe Bollywood gangster at the reception desk. £60 I was quoted, it was late and I was out of options in this area so I agreed. He explained, 'No cannabis and absolutely no one else in the room' which I later understood to mean, no hookers. Had I known what awaited me I would have laughed at the idea that he truly believed that another person could actually fit in the room. 'Keep your passport, money and other valuables with you at all times' - reassuring ! He carried on, 'out this door, up the stairs on the left'. They were not very detailed directions however as what I think he should have said was, 'Out this door, take a left at the rogue ironing board, pass the broken window and unsightly boiler, up the narrow creaking stairs where you will find a door with no handle, leaving you in utter confusion as to how you can enter your room'.

I squeezed into my Eau de urine scented room to see a bed, one cupboard and two cupboard doors, figure that one out !! The walls were so badly painted that the folk of Berlin would not have waited so long to knock them down and the bathroom was so disgusting that I was given the go ahead to gag on sight. Let me stick with the bathroom for a minute. One towel was roughly folded on the floor while the other merged with a moldy shelf which I am sure, had I not arrived when I did, it would have grown legs and walked away ! One roll of toilet paper was almost finished indicating that either, the room is rarely restocked or that their food is so terrible it had been used in one sitting!! The shower curtain was an off green colour I had never seen before probably as I have never been to Hell but it made me feel dirtier after my shower than I did before I went in.

The fact that it is almost Halloween means that I will forgive the massive cobwebs and creepy looking spiders that roamed the walls and ceiling. There were that many of them they had figured out a system preventing themselves from bumping into each other, clever creatures ! Now I am all for carbs but finding an old piece of bread on my bed behind the once white curtains was one surprise too many to be honest. When I was younger I thought B&B stood for Bread and Breakfast, maybe I was right? The TV flickered every time a bus passed but luckily it is London and there are not many buses around !!!!!

My facilities included a spare broken light bulb, a filth covered fan, a strange wooden chair, something that buzzed all night and the promise of breakfast in the morning. Perhaps if I was Iron Stomach Steve from the travelling freak show I may have contemplated the 7am pile of turd on a plate but as I am relatively normal and value my insides, I decided against it. Their website offers complementary WI-FI, huh? The only option I found was called Richard's iPhone and I felt bad enough that he was already staying in the hotel to actually then steal his signal ..

The clocks went back an hour for us last night but I think for them, the clocks went back a hundred years when maybe this sort of vile, putrid running of a business was accepted. Speaking of clocks, their decorative display of clocks behind reception denoting the time in four different time zones showed that London and New York share the same time and the wrong time at that !! Just another delightful quirk of this humour filled monstrosity.

There is not a score low enough to mark this carelessly thrown together mound of junk out of ten but if you ever happen to come across The Golders Green Hotel, I urge you to stay as it will make you appreciate and respect the homeless men and women who take the decision to prop up doorways and live under bridges.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
20 Thank Robchocs
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My partner booked this hotel as a surprise for me, after reading the reviews I could have swung for him. We were pleasantly surprised, the welcome was warm, the room was clean with a very nice bathroom, breakfast was continental and that suits us, it had everything it should have. The only bad review I could give was that though the bedding was clean, the pillows smelt very damp, so much so that my hair smelt this morning, after reading another review I looked inside the duvet cover at the quilt and I must say that my dirty floor cloths would put the quilt to shame. Having said all that we had a great time in the city and the beds were very comfortable. Good value for money.

Room Tip: We had room 226 and it was fine
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple