“Looking forward to our next stay.”

LSE Rosebery Hall Residence
Ranked #702 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Looking forward to our next stay.”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We booked directly in good time and there was no problem with the communication. Staff at the reception was friendly and efficient. The accomodation was quite comfortable: The room was clean and tiddy and they kept it that way throughout our stay. The en-suite facilities could be updated by replacing and positioning the shower. Common-room and dinning areas were commodious. Healthy choice of breakfast and excellent service. __ The Hall is conveniently situated for a prompt bus-service to many parts of London. The Tube-Station Angel, Islington is not that far either. The area is full of trendy cafes & restaurants. __ And of course the Sadler's Wells Theatre The cost was reasonable for London.We would certainly return soon.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and ask for an en-suite room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mallo7
LSEVacations, Manager at LSE Rosebery Hall Residence, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thank you for your kind comments, we’re really pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We’ll be sure to pass on the kind comments about the team on. The area around Rosebery is lovely and still relatively undiscovered. Your comments on the shower are really helpful and we’ll make sure that these are fed into any refurbishment plans. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We spent the weekend on a bit of a road trip around the UK recently. During which 7 of us stayed at Roseberry Hall. To be honest value for money it is excellent and I would recomend that anyone who it doing a night out in london stay here.

The only thing I found slightly off putting was the radiator was on in the room even thought the weather was not that bad. Apart from that everything was clean enough. We paid £28 per peron which is great value for money when staying in the capital.

Roseberry Hall is about 5/10 mins walk from Angel tube station so access wise it is excellent, and is only about 5 mins cab ride from Fabric which we happened to go to.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mr-P1980
We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your time in London with us, and we hope the big day went well! The radiators should be thermostatically controlled so we’ll get this checked out.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Student accommodation. Basic, cheap, clean & really good value for money. It's basically halls of residence but was very quiet and in an excellent location. Five minute walk from Angel underground, but stop right outside. Breakfast is excellent!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, thank you for your positive comments!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This is a great price, and obviously a certain basic nature has to be expected, but everything is clean and there's enough space. I spent five nights here, and shall return in a few months with my partner: it's difficult to imagine such quality at a price like this anywhere else.

As a vegetarian I'm very picky about food, but a full breakfast is guaranteed with no problems. Vegetarian sausages, potato waffles or hash browns, scrambled eggs, baked beans, pain au chocolat, then some bread with cheese, washed down with orange juice and coffee or whatever? Fine for me.

This is a very short walk from the Angel/Islington, and I only used the bus service as I wanted to see where I was going: everywhere is a dob of a wallet (containing your Oyster card (£18.80 for a week's travel plus £5 for the forever reusable Oyster)) away. As a literary nut, I spent almost a whole day in Kensal Green Cemetery, went to Horace Walpole's Strawberry Hill House near Twickenham (£8), Abney Park Cemetery in Stoke Newington, Iain Sinclair's Haggerston and the borough of Hackney in general, Old Ford's Victoria Park etc, Spitalfields and Whitechapel, parts of the City, and on and on.

McDonalds (Chapel Market) is great for free wifi, although it's probably also as good at Wetherspoon's The Angel, where I only sampled the beer.

Negatives:

First things first: the men's bathroom is really hidden away!

I could have done without the huge bunch of (exclusively male) schoolkids on the last two nights, as they made a hell of a noise way after 2300 hours.

It took me a time to work out how many plastic bags I needed to have a good shower and come out dry.

NB If the above are really negatives, then I can live with them.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your comments we’re glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and London more generally! The Oyster Card is indeed a really good way to get around cheaply. We’re working on the WiFi issue and are planning to pilot something in one of our other halls this summer. In terms of the bathroom being hidden we will brief the reception staff to explain where it is and investigate if signs might help. Noise from other guests can be an issue from time to time and we appreciate that nothing is worse than being woken up in the middle of the night! If noise is reported to the front desk then we will investigate immediately and aim to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Reports can be made using the phone in the bedroom.
Pune, India
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The rooms were clean, and beds were nice. Best was the Breakfast. Staff were nice and friendly, and they even allowed us to keep our luggage for extra time, without extra cost.

Budget accommodation, so don't expect much.

Room Tip: We got a room on the sixth floor, the floor was creeky and noisy at times
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your positive comments we’re really glad to hear you liked the Breakfast. We’ll be sure to pass the kind words about the staff onto the team! Hopefully we’ll see you again soon
cambridge
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My wife and I stayed in the LSE’s Rosebury Avenue property for one night 13/04/12. We knew that for £59.95 it would be pretty basic so we were’nt expected anything special. The building was nice from the outside and well located for the Angel Islington. Staff on reception were friendly and professional. Then we opened the door to room 515. We were immediately greeted by a damp musty smell. Inside the tiny room there were two very small single beds. A shabby little wardrobe, the door handle came off in my hand when I tried to open it; any old desk, any old shelves; and a sink with a damaged chip board surround. The decor was depressingly dark and an awful colour. When I lay on the bed I could see signs above my head where someone had washed the ceiling, apparently taking some of the paint with it. There was no shower or toilet facilities in the room, to be expected for that price; no tea or coffee making facilities, there was a shared kitchen for those who’d brought their own cups. No TV in the room, again not expected. We decided to leave the window open while we went out for the evening to try to get the smell out of the room. It didn’t work. The smell came back as soon as we closed it again to try to reduce the traffic noise. The noise was a little bit less intrusive, but I have to say it was the least effective double glazing I’ve ever tried to sleep with. I was still awake at 1.30 am when some drunk people started speaking very loudly and swearing in the shared kitchen. My impression was that they were swearing at someone who had asked them to be less noisy. At breakfast the next day we heard similar stories from other guests. In one case noisy drunks at 4am, in another a party in the room below. Similar stories of tiny, uncared for rooms.
I think the management of this accommodation should be ashamed of themselves. To think that they expect our sons and daughters to live in this standard of student accommodation is a disgrace. A little bit of care and attention could at least make the tiny little room a bit less depressing for two people to spend significant lengths of time in. Personally, I will never stay with the LSE again. It was the worst B&B experience I’ve ever had. My wife and I were exhausted by the time we got home and slept part of the following day to catch up with lost sleep. Having said that, I want to make it clear that I have no complaints about the day to day staff and the breakfast was good. I did mention the smell to a woman on reception and she said she would report that to her boss.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jayanatha
Further to our correspondence we have investigated the issues here. We would like to thank you for your open, candid and constructive comments. We try very hard to provide the best service possible and where we do not achieve this our goal is to learn from our mistakes.

We have been unable to locate the source of the musty smell in room 515. Your report was taken on board on the day and the room was thoroughly cleaned following your departure. However, we fully appreciate that we should have dealt with the problem more pro-actively during your stay, and we should have not let the room in that condition in the first place.

Room 515 has not been refurbished recently and we appreciate that the furniture and décor are now a little tired. Hopefully you will have noticed though that we are starting to upgrade facilities in the residence (such as the bathrooms) and we are planning to work on the condition of the rooms themselves soon. We have tried to set our prices with this in mind and Rosebery is usually the least expensive of our residences.

During term time this room is occupied by a single student. We add the extra bed into the room during the commercial periods only. This is why we describe the room as a ‘economy.' In light of your comments however we have changed this description to ‘small’. We completely agree that this room would be too small for two students staying for an academic year.

The windows in Rosebery have recently been replaced so we would certainly hope that they were more effective than you describe. We have asked our maintenance team to investigate the window in 515 and pass any issues onto the manufacturer so that they can be resolved.

Noise from other guests can sometimes be something of an issue. However we appreciate that nothing is worse than being woken up in the middle of the night, and this is one of the reasons why we maintain 24 hour security cover. If noise is reported to the front desk then we will investigate immediately and aim to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Reports can be made using the phone in the bedroom.

Finally, we are very pleased to hear that you found the team to be friendly and professional – I will be sure to pass these comments onto the team. I am also glad to hear that the breakfast was good.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide such detailed comments, it is very much appreciated and I hope that you can see how seriously we take these matters.
Huddersfield
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Staying in a student hall brought back many memories - it felt quite lonely to be one amongst groups of school children, foreigh tourists and resident students. It is very basic accommodation and feels like staying in a hostel with an odour of testosterone. However, my room was clean, there was a very good choice of breakfast items in the refrectory dinning hall, the security staff were very friendly and above all other factors it was extremley good value for London accommodation and in a very central location - 5 minutes bus journey from Kings Cross, 25mins from London Bridge and 30 from Waterloo. On my first night my key turned constantly and didn't work but when I told the secuity staff he moved me to another room. The biggest negative is sharing communal toilets and showers but if available some rooms are ensuite and the whole block is being renovated. If you want a bargain stay here but if you want any sort of luxury stay in a hotel.

Room Tip: If I considered LSE accmmodation again I would only do so if I had an ensuite.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your candid comments, we’re glad that the staff we’re able to resolve the issue with the lock so quickly and that you enjoyed the breakfast.