“Avoid at all costs”

Ranked #454 of 837 Speciality Lodging in London
Sydney, Australia
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I have stayed in many, many hostels over the years and this is the worst I've experienced. I originally booked for 8 nights and left after 3 despite losing money, I couldn't stay any longer. The rooms are tiny, with about a metre in between the stacks of beds, absolutely no room to open luggage. It is incredibly stuffy and hot. The bunks are triple stacked and made of metal that creaks and groans anytime anyone moves an inch. The bunks are also very short, I'm 1.6m tall and my feet and head touched both ends of the bunk, any taller and you would have to bend your knees out the side. The bathroom was dirty, with the toilet only working half the time (the staff didn't care when informed of this). There was no soap in the bathroom. The staff allowed someone who was obviously drunk to check into our room at 4am, this person was then sick everywhere which went uncleaned for hours. The wifi only works in the foyer, there are no comfortable seats here. Multiple times when passing through the foyer people were complaining about broken showers and toilets, these complaints were always dismissed by staff as "being part of an old building". I was advised by staff I could obtain a refund (except for 2 nights that I forfeited) however the staff couldn't process this as they didn't know how to do it, I was advised to return the following day. When I returned the following day the staff still didn't know how to process a refund and were unable to contact anyone that did (including the on call manager). I then had to return again in which I asked to speak to Michael the Manager who dismissed me, refused to speak to me and simply told his staff to give me my refund (the same staff who claimed they didn't know how to do this twice previously). This place is in a good location but that alone does not redeem all of its other faults. This is not even a place you could claim is just to sleep in as sleep is all but impossible. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank myfavouritescar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gosport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at this hostel and was pleasantly surprised at what we found. We had a private room with all the amenities, very comfortable and clean. The 2 girls on the front desk [ 13/07/13] were very helpful and although we arrived early they allowed us to leave our heavy cases in the locked luggage locker.
Breakfast was continental , basic, help yourself. The 2 girls working in the breakfast bar could have been more pleasant and at least smiled once or twice. The tube station and bus stops were in easy reach and various shops within the area.
We would defiantly use this hostel again.

Room Tip: go private room ..........clean and comfortable
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank james f
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

My friend and I were very disappointed with this place; it has a good location, good bathrooms and is clean but that's pretty much all it has going for it. The breakfast is awful and the bunk beds are 3 tiered ones. Our room had 6 people - 2 triple tiered stacks and if anyone opened their suitcase then no one could walk around the room because it was so small and narrow. Thankfully we were only there for 2 nights - 2 other guys in our room found a different hostel because they thought it was so bad as well. I also thought the staff were a bit useless and rude

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

Everything and everybody was nice and perfect for us (two 21-year-old girls) :) i would absolutly recommend this hostel :)
The breakfast was really good, there was as much coffee/tea/toast/jam/butter/cheese/ham as you wanted, also yogurt and breakfast flakes!! The stuff was very friendly and helpful, you could talk to them anytime. The location is great, a 4 minutes walk from tube station "queensway" :)

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Travel-explore-discover
Derby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

The good things...
It was clean.
Its about 10 mins walk from the station and about 3mins walk from Hyde Park in pleasant area of London.

The common room area is cozy, and small with plenty of DVDs and books to kill a spare few hours if needed.

Most rooms have their own bathrooms.
Lockers in rooms at the bottom of the beds.
Fairly clean for a hostel.

The bad things...
I had to swap my bed with a pregnant girl (I didn't mind) there was no way she could of climbed onto the top level of a 3 level bunk bed, it was even too high for me, as the steps up are badly designed and it is very easy to slip on them.

The breakfast was dreadful, the worst hostel breakfast ever, water, a bowl of jam, a bowl of the cheapest butter and white toast.

You need CASH to get a room card (door key) and you need CASH to get a locker key or a towel there is no cash machine near by, so make sure you have at £50.00 CASH on you just in case you want these things.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
HPVManager, Manager at Smart Hyde Park View Hostel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Hi Happy20102010,

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it. Just to straighten up your comments: we require £10 deposit for the keys during the check in and we have it stated on our website and every booking agent websites. Our aim is to supply cheap and affordable accommodation to our guest at unique locations. We also offer free simple continental breakfast to our guests.

Hopefully your next stay with us will be more enjoyable:)

HPV Manager
Balatonalmadi, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

We stayed twice so far in this hotel. Must say that we had bad experience in The Windmill in Acton and after one night we find this one.
Everyone very helpful, nice receptionists we got what we asked for! The price is good for this great location!
Top floor far right side of corridor from lift is really quiet. Which is great if you stay for a few days.
Shops and attractions can be reached easy.
We always walk cross park to reach the right bottom corner, where we shop at TKmaxx, Zara etc...
If We go to London we will stay here instead any other, because it is safe, dont want to have any more horrible night!
hope this helps!
Great travel to everyone!

Room Tip: Quiet rooms on top floor, far right from lift.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TSzab0
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

my boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights in September and were a bit apprehensive about staying in a hostel. However, it turned out to be really great, our room (double suite) was nice and comfortable, with a tv, fridge, kettle, desk and nice decent sized bathroom. It was clean and we had a large window to open which looked out over the rooftops on the other side of the street. Staff were friendly and accomodating, many of them appeared to be travellers from other countries as well. There's internet access in the lobby (you have to pay for) and free wifi in the rooms, however our wifi connection didn't work. Breakfast (included in the room price) is not bad to get you started for the day- toast, cereal, ham, cheese and tea/coffee. Reception is open 24 hours. Overall, given london is such an expensive place to stay in, I would definatley recommend this place (in a private room, can't comment on the bunk bed rooms) it's only a 5-10 minute bus ride to Oxford street or a 2 minute walk to a tube station. The kabab/curry place across the road is delicious and the people there are super friendly.

Room Tip: suites upstairs facing the main road allow you to open the huge window and let in some fresh air whi...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Britannia Inn
Clink78
Clink78
#68 of 837 in London
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,974 reviews

Been to Smart Hyde Park View Hostel? Share your experiences!