“Nice owner, dirty place.”
Review of Pickwick Hall

Pickwick Hall
Ranked #594 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Patrick was very nice and helpful, but the place really needs to be kept up and checked out more often. My boyfriend and I got a private room with our own bathroom, and it was pretty disgusting so I am terrified to even imagine what the shared bathrooms and rooms are like. The entire room was about the size of my bathroom at home, and the bathroom was so small i couldn't dry my hair with a towel because my elbows would hit the walls. The shower flooded the bathroom floor the first night, and didn't dry the whole of our time there, so that we couldn't walk in without shoes on, so if i just wanted to wash my hands I would literally lean over with my feet outside the bathroom and do so. We found blood stains on the sheets, some icky mold growing by the ceiling, cobwebs galore and the heater didn't work. After spending four nights in the place my boyfriend and I were almost depressed. Especially with the weather cold and rainy, the last thing we wanted to to was come back to that place. However, it is well-placed with a tube station very close and the British Museum also close. Ir was also very quiet, and that was much appreciated. Might have been alright for a night, but four nights in the place was murder.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jellie26

Reviewed 2 November 2011

I found Pickwick Hall to be fantastic for the price and location. Not the best place for you to stay if your a light sleeper, but honestly where in London is ??? Location is perfect literally 300m away from a Holborn tube stop and about a kilometre away from Kings Cross Station. Perfect place for a first time London visitor as it is only a short walk to Leicester Square, Trafalgur Square and Covent Garden. FREE WIFI THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE BUILDING !!! We had a private room and other than sharing a bathroom it was like having a hotel room (and honestly was alot better than some we stayed in along the way). Nothing special to look at but it was a bed and had a fridge in the room, team this with the free wi - fi, perfect location and helpful owner this was a success (as this was my first time staying in a hostel).

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor in a private room which was good.... but be warned there are stairs : )
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jordy90
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We stayed at Pickwick Hall for eight days at the start of our trip and two at the end. The location is first rate. Right in the heart of London with the British Museum a few minutes walk away, together with Oxford Street. Additionally two tubes stations (Russell Square and Holborn Station are 7-10 minutes walk away, also the number 91 bus goes directly to and from Trafalgar Square to Russel in about 15 minutes. The owner Patrick was very accomodating, friendly and helpful and was at breakfast every morning preparing brewed coffee and setting up. Also free cereal and milk are available in the shared kitchen 24 hours a day.

The rooms are in need of a bit of attention but are sufficient if your needs are not of a high standard. There is also a microwave and barfridge in the private rooms, which help keep the costs of meals down. We would stay here if we came to London again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edward H
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stay at Pickwick Hall everytime we visit London. It is the best value in town in a great location that allows you to see the best of London - either walking or using the handy tube stations nearby. The British Museum is only a 2 minute walk away! Having access to a kitchen and a fridge saved us lots of money on food...but be prepared for the low standards in this hostel - it is badly in need of renovation, better lighting and cleaning. We stayed in a family room with 4 beds looking out at the tangled garden in the back. Mattresses were good but it had broken furniture and an unspeakably dirty carpet. The shared bathrooms are moldy but basically clean. Pickwell Hall is the place for you if you are looking for cheap accomodations to lay your head if you're spending most of your time out and about. The Ritz it ain't!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back looking out at the tangled garden were quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Margot81
Reviewed 5 August 2011

The hostel was alright for a London hostel. I did mind that I couldn´t close the window in the room. Luckily we were there during the summer. And the shower had mould. Still it was otherwise clean and quiet during our stay. The location was great. We could walk to both Piccadilly and Camden from our hostel. Just be aware that this is a hostel, so I wouldn´t expect a 4-star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank theawesometraveller
Reviewed 19 July 2011

we spent 3 nights in pickwick hall in May
Our room was extremely small and dirty and noisy
bathroom was dirty and many young students are not cleaning the bath
breakfast is ok because this room is quiet and nice

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeaume
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I love coming back to Pickwick time and time again.

It is the reviews of people who obviously expect champagne on a beer budget that really give this place a worse name than it deserves.

Pickwick Hall is located close to everything!
Theatre, the tube (Holborn, Russell Square, King's Cross), Covent Garden, even walking to the Big Ben doesnt take all that long from here!

So why stay here?
You want something as cheap as money can buy, in the most central spot..... thats it!

Are there cracks in the walls? yes
Is there some mold if you look hard enough? yes
Is the place in need of a renovation? probably
Does any of this matter? Hell no!!

Seriously people, if the free food is left out, go spend 3 pounds on breakfast from Pret.
If a bathroom appears dirty, there are 4 others you could try.

I'm yet to find anywhere else in London, this close to everything, this cheap, with free breakfast, some of the most comfortable beds around, free wifi, free printing, cheap laundry with staff who really do treat you far better than expected.
One the same dates my parents paid 7 times this much for a hotel that didnt even have a fridge or microwave in the room, Pickwick does!
I even got a whole dorm room all to myself on the top level for 24 pounds!!

I would certainly recommend staying at Pickwick unless you're the kind of person highly picky about accommodation. And at the end of the day, you dont come to London to sit in your room.......

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road have zero noise
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo